Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Ana's Spriting

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:deleting this account (i never come on the forums anymore)

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:57 AM

Hello everyone who reads this. This is my first topic I've made and I'm just looking to get my name out there as a spriter. I'm hoping to help out any of you looking to make a romhack, or just a neat profile pic or something.
I'm hoping I did this right. Please let me know if I'm violating rules or something. I'd hate to start off wrong right off the bat.

user posted image

This is basically "me". Just a quick sprite I made to work as a general idea for how I look. I'll be adding new sprites as I make them.

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

heyo... hmm, not that bad for a first sprite, but I think the head feels off to me for some reason.kinda like idk, the neck isn't long enough or the armor looks too big for it? not sure, but on the bright hand I can't tell what parts you used to splice it together ohmy.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

The goldfishest memory ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

It's definitely... An interesting attempt I can say, not to say it's bad though! It's definitely a lot more sophisticated then my (And a lot of others!) first attempts at sprite stuff.
Also, saving as .png! Fantastic that you know that! X3
I do have to say that I like the hair somewhat. That may be my obsession with messy hair talking, though.

Currently way too tired to give actual critique... Maybe tomorrow I'll edit this post or whatever.
QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Feb 13 2015, 11:20 AM)
but on the bright hand I can't tell what parts you used to splice it together ohmy.gif

From what I can immediately see, it's Amelia's head and Valter's shoulder armor thing.

d1e502f831c13190dd34a16b376298af%20-%20C

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA, HERE'S YOUR COMPLIMENTARY

DIAL-UP INTERNET AND OVERLY-POISONOUS ARACHNID

#4 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:51 PM

blazer what you're seeing with the head there is that the head is turned whereas the hair isn't. plus her chin is covered up a bit there which doesn't help a whole lot. great job though. it's real clean for a first attempt(my first mugs were...disgusting to say the very least)

#5 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:25 AM

It actually looks good for a first attempt (especially when I started playing around...it mostly consisted of attempting to familiarize myself with the colour sliders first). You can see a distinct effort to create originality to it by diverging from the base sprites. The colouring looks fairly good and, while I'm not sure it was intentional, you nave a nice "skunk line" in the hair which is quite an uncanny feature. I'd hesitate to call it personality defining but it adds a certain depth to the creation. It certainly adds to the melancholic appearance of the character though.

I won't go too long into this as I think most other users point this out already, but the major thought I had was that the interaction between the armour and the face have a confusing relationship. You can see the chin getting cut off by the neck guard, if that's what it is. This part is alright and I can think there are ways to explain it but the angle of the guard is also of concern. If you look a little closer, you'll notice that the armour slants downward slightly, creating a slight pointed shape if you view from the back to front (I'm not great with descriptions and I'd prefer to call it going from posterior to the anterior...but that'd confuse things even more I suspect). The added blue-gold element is much flatter and I don't think is at a natural angle given the slope of the rest of the armour.

QUOTE (zac122 @ Feb 13 2015, 11:51 AM)
blazer what you're seeing with the head there is that the head is turned whereas the hair isn't. plus her chin is covered up a bit there which doesn't help a whole lot. great job though. it's real clean for a first attempt(my first mugs were...disgusting to say the very least)

Certainly more than I did for my first few attempts...palette swap for my first attempt (just so I knew what my limitations were on Paint...turns out Paint is terrible), minor changes for the next one.

...I probably should have not deleted that mod, broken as it was. Now I don't have any of those abominations on my computer :/.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#6 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

Very good first attempt. Mine was a super crappy Percival recolor so it wasn't even a true splice. tongue.gif

My biggest critique would definitly be the chin. Her chin looks like it is behind the neck wrap. If you add to the chin to make it look like it is in front of the neck wrap you're golden.

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#7 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:02 AM

Wow I didn't expect so many replies... I'll definitely look towards improving my personal sprite, thank you all! I mainly did that as a test and I was super tired at the time. But I do have another sprite to show off, maybe you'll like it too while I work on making others.
user posted image
It's meant to be Valbar/Valbo (however you saw it transliterated) from Gaiden. I'm playing it right now and man do I love it. I wish that a newer Fire Emblem would come out with like... a similar playing style- Gaiden is super good with it.

#8 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:16 AM

user posted image

Almost forgot about this one! A bit of a basic Karel edit in my opinion, but I like it.

#9 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:46 AM

once again very clean. i gotta say i'm impressed that this is like your first couple of mugs. there's something going on with the right side(our left) of valbar's face. it may just be because of the way he's facing, but it almost looks like his eye was cut off a bit. right under that his cheek looks a bit bulgy to me as well. could very well be it only looks like that to me though. it's not super obvious, but after i looked at the eye for a few seconds trying to figure out a way to fix it(since i have that problem myself a lot lately) i noticed the cheek thing. i would need to get a closer look to be sure, but you might be able to just extend the area between his cheek and eye out like two or three pixels and that will fix it. like i said, it may just be me though.

#10 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:19 AM

Oh I was trying to go for a wrinkled look for him, but I can see what you mean. And I have to be a bit honest, these aren't my first few sprites, as I've been practicing a lot. My first sprite was godawful- but I've had lots of practice. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and was basically making and deleting old sprites as I went through. I only finally made an account on these forums when I felt like my skill was good enough, because I'm mainly hoping to make either my own romhack, help someone make a romhack, or create my own tactical RPG/Fire Emblem styled game through Unity (something I've been neglecting, really).

#11 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:08 AM

user posted image
This one took me hours, but I love it so much. No real name for this character- probably to be a wyvern knight.

#12 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (GreatKnightAna @ Feb 15 2015, 10:08 PM)
user posted image
This one took me hours, but I love it so much. No real name for this character- probably to be a wyvern knight.

General thoughts (as this is just off the cuff):
- Like the palette. 100% honest here, I'm a huge fan of light/dark colour interaction and one of the characters I'm using as a Wyvern (if I ever get to making portraits) utilizes a similar scheme (white hair/black armour).
- The art hair looks very good though and a little contrasting. The first reaction I had was the character's spiked back hair...that it points further in the dorsal direction (toward the back) more than it would likely naturally go. This is a typical attribute of a Saiyan tomboy character in newer media if the character isn't an obvious male protagonist. The second reaction fell to the length of hair coming down the back, which is long by any stretch of the imagination. It creates two contrasting elements as ponytails are typically seen as more feminine.
- The armour looks a little too smooth on the front. Now, I'm not one to deny that there is armour that doesn't have any seams on the front but many times it's natural to imagine that heavier armour having a sharp angle change around the sagittal plane (cutting you down the centre through your nose). I think the armour is uncanny for that reason and, while I'm not sure it's intentional, certainly gives the sense of a more "future-esc" armour. As a result I kind of expect the character to hail from a place with more advanced armour technology or are just experts in this armour.
- More onto the character sprite itself though...one the whole it's good and I think it's clear that you put a lot of time and love into this (something I really don't have the patience for as I'm more numerically oriented). What appears to be the character's taciturn personality shines quite well.
- The bang on the character's right side looks like it's a little wide. Maybe it's just me though...

RedBlue.png

#13 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:54 AM

General thoughts (as this is just off the cuff):
- Snipped for ease. -

Thank you very much! I will agree with you on the crticisms though; I felt like the armor was a little off, and the top part of the hair wasn't a focus of mine.
I put about 3 hours straight into making this, as I originally intended to make a princess of whatever naition who wields axes and rides a wyvern. I mean to show a sort of quiet/strong willed character, and visually I ended up settling on a guard/trusted knight look than any royalty.

#14 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

user posted image

I added a bit to the armor and even made blinking/talking out of it! About an hour's more of work. What do you think about it now?

#15 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

That definitely looks nice. I would love to use some of your mugs in the hack I'm making right now if you're cool with that. I can make frames for them if you don't want to, but I'd certainly appreciate if you did XD. (just for the purpose of giving info it's a sort of sequel to sacred stones. Time travely awakening type thing is what I'm trying to do) I don't work on it very often since I've been working alone so far, but if you are OK with me using your mugs I'll throw them in asap.

#16 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:29 AM

Regarding the sprite itself: I'm quite a fan of the new changes. I would notice though that the shoulder plates still feel very smooth and certainly still gives the feeling that the character is from an advanced nation.

QUOTE (zac122 @ Feb 16 2015, 10:41 PM)
That definitely looks nice. I would love to use some of your mugs in the hack I'm making right now if you're cool with that. I can make frames for them if you don't want to, but I'd certainly appreciate if you did XD. (just for the purpose of giving info it's a sort of sequel to sacred stones. Time travely awakening type thing is what I'm trying to do) I don't work on it very often since I've been working alone so far, but if you are OK with me using your mugs I'll throw them in asap.

I was about to make a similar comment but I think zac122 is probably the better person to go with here.

RedBlue.png

#17 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (zac122 @ Feb 17 2015, 12:41 AM)

That sounds very interesting, and thank you for asking! I'm fine with you using the sprites. I can make the frames for you too, if I make any more characters you'd be interested in.

Here's the wyvern rider's frames (I edited out that tiny piece of white too).
Frames for Wyvern Rider/Princess (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

#18 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (kirant @ Feb 17 2015, 01:29 AM)
Regarding the sprite itself: I'm quite a fan of the new changes.  I would notice though that the shoulder plates still feel very smooth and certainly still gives the feeling that the character is from an advanced nation.

QUOTE (zac122 @ Feb 16 2015, 10:41 PM)

I was about to make a similar comment but I think zac122 is probably the better person to go with here.

I wouldn't mind you using the sprites either! Here's a different character I just wrapped up, if you're interested in something else-

user posted image

#19 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

cool. i'll see what i can get done today and post some screens in the project thread.

#20 MageKnightPacífica

MageKnightPacífica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:21 AM

Okay, two new sets of characters. I'm thinking a Cain/Abel type of pair up between them. My main idea is a wyvern rider who uses axes and another who uses lances, or swords vs lances, etc.

user posted image

Male (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted image
Female (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users