Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

For those interested in Fates, how are you handling the spoilers?

Fire Emblem Fates

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

I'm interested in how everyone else on this forum who is interested in this game is handling the spoilers.

For me, I'm diving headfirst into the spoilers since I really can't give a damn. Fire Emblem for me has always been less about the first impression and more how long will I enjoy the game. This sort of happened for me with Awakening where I was infatuated with it because it was shiny and new, and then eventually fell into the hater group after finding the many flaws with the game and have now mellowed out. I'd rather this not happen again for me. These spoilers allow me to know what's coming as to not set my expectations too high and judge the game for being what it is and not OH SHINY or it not meeting my expectations.

It also is a way for me to get rid of the "I NEED THIS" feeling. For example, when Xenoblade X came out in Japan I had the "I NEED THIS" feeling and me watching streams of it (I didn't spoil story for me though) eventually curbed the feeling. But I'm weird so this is most definitely not the same for other people.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:13 PM

i haven't been actively looking for them, but it's not like i've been trying to avoid them either. basically when something comes up i'll read it but otherwise i don't really care to look for anything.

#3 Voffie

Voffie

He who might do things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Games. Anime. More games.

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:52 AM

I've managed to avoid spoilers, despite one person's issues with posting spoilers when the game first came out Cero, and I intend to keep it that way despite not looking forward to the game.

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 03 July 2015 - 04:08 AM

I don't really have the same problems Cero does with expectations and such. I mean, I do have expectations for games, it's pretty much impossible not to, especially in a long-standing franchise and one I have personal attachment to (I'm still speaking in general here, but this does happen to apply to Fire Emblem), but I'm pretty much ok with enjoying a game just because of it being hype or shiny or new. Like, if i find something fun, even if it's actually bad, it's whatever: I mean, I'm having fun, so is it really worth complaining? Does analyzing things and only enjoying that which is truly well-done give me some sense of accomplishment, make me feel intelligent, etc.? Not really.

So I don't regret enjoying Awakening and I'm not going to say I was wrong to enjoy it, either. Am I aware of its flaws? Sure. But if I'm going to be that way I'd almost never enjoy anything and I could point out flaws for pretty much any FE game too, if I cared, but I don't see what's the point in hurting and depressing myself and possibly others. If it's not something I notice to start with, if it doesn't actively bother me, then I don't see why I should go out of my way to try to make it bother me. If my instinct is "I don't like this", then that's one thing, but I like the expression "ignorance is bliss" because it goes both ways; it really IS easier to enjoy life when you're not hung up on the details or even if you just don't know them (for me it's usually the former though), but at the same time not knowing them is kind of beneficial and you can gain a better appreciation for things... it's hard to find a balance but what I do is, I just try to enjoy the good parts of anything and if the bad parts are tolerable, I tolerate them. And of course, is something actually meets a higher standard of quality to me, then I'll treat it a little bit better.

I think Fates was an exception to this because I let myself be taken in by IS's sweet words and really wanted to hope and believe, especially after the personal disappointment that was Zestiria (though that was about letting my expectations become too much and more of "I just didn't like a lot of things about the game"). So yeah, I got carried away a bit and this is pretty much the most mixed feelings about a game I've ever had, at least as far as I can remember.

Anyway, to the point of the topic: I generally either totally hate spoilers or don't mind them. If I have enough interest in a topic/subject such as a game or show that I plan to experience it for myself, I do NOT freaking want any spoilers on it. Heck, even people telling me "it was so good" or giving their impressions can create bias, especially depending on how they say it/how they come off. Some people are like "I found it really good, but you might not" which makes me say "ok, it might be good, but it's probably not perfect so clearly I should keep my expectations in check" vs. "this is freaking amazing you have to play it" and it's like "oh really? this better live up to your words or I'm going to be severely disappointed" lol.

That being said if I think something just sucks or I'm never going to actually get invested into it, then I don't care if you ruin it for me, because I don't really feel I have anything to lose. But most of the time, I am super sensitive to spoilers. Sometimes they can't be avoided because people are careless and/or insensitive and I bump into them on the internet, and other times it's just sort of how things go/the natural flow of things. For instance, I knew the Smash Bros. roster before it came out because I'd have to hide from the internet to not know, and I saw most of the official footage of Xenoblade X because I figured, Nintendo probably wouldn't show me things that are going to ruin my experience of the game... and well, I DO need to know enough about a game to know I want it and be hyped for it. But you could say "you wouldn't have known the details if you hadn't watched!" and you're right, so sometimes I do just have to draw an arbitrary line as to what's ok and what's not. Story spoilers are the most sensitive, but even gameplay features and the such can spoil things for me as they essentially inform me of what's coming up in the experience, and therefore don't allow to me to soak it in for myself from the start. XP

Finally, as far as waiting goes, it really depends on the game. Some games I don't think will ever come over, or not anytime soon, and in that case I may import it near launch and just avoid launch spoilers (usually not too hard if it's an import) and experience it for myself. Cool stuff. But take Fire Emblem, with how the community is and me being an FE fan, it's pretty much impossible to stay away from all levels of spoilers without avoiding the internet/having someone else take over my job. And it stinks but due to people being insensitive, I had quite a bit of the game ruined for me or had impressions of it imposed on me, if that makes sense; like "this sucks" or "this isn't good" or stuff that makes me think harder than I might otherwise, or analyze more than I might otherwise. Instead of just letting me play the game naturally, for better or worse.

For games that have more than just a couple days between the English and Japanese launch (most games), I just wait like a normal person and don't spoil myself. I do this for most games and I'm almost always fine with it. Even games where I'm impatient and I want to know what happens, I can wait. I mean, I did properly wait for most FE games, including Awakening, so... :\

For games that are launched in Engilsh first, spoilers isn't really an issue because I can experience the game for myself and just avoid contact. Again, I think FE and the such is the exception because I don't have to look far to see people discussing it. For games that I don't get at launch, I'm probably not invested into the series enough to A) be tempted to look into spoilers or B) to accidentally stumble upon them, so in that manner, I don't usually need to put any extra effort into avoiding spoilers, it just kind of handles itself.

So I guess to zoom in on the real focus of this post...

tl;dr I try to avoid spoilers as much as I can, while still doing my job and interacting with other FE fans. In the case of Fates, I'm playing it myself, so I can "curb" what little temptation there is to know what happens by just continuing to play, but even so it takes a while to make progress, and I don't import most games before they come over in English, so I get the sentiment and I usually just deal with it while secretly being jealous of people who can get the game before me and actually understand it, lol.

EDIT: I realize it's weird what with me having the game before most people because I have a Jap 3DS and all... still, it's not like I don't have a life and can beat the game before spoilers come out, so I've been just as susceptible as anyone else, really and will be until I've actually experienced enough of the game myself that I don't have to be too concerned about specific details being spoiled. There's still the dumb 3rd route though

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:27 AM

I've avoided all story spoilers and character/support spoilers, but I know about all the mechanics. I'm proud of myself.

#6 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:36 AM

I know nothing except for character designs and who 4chan thinks of as their favourites.

It's actually killing me, I want to play it so badly and 'be in the loop' but there's no way I could justify getting a japanese 3ds and the game(s).

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:10 PM

I know nothing except for character designs and who 4chan thinks of as their favourites.

It's actually killing me, I want to play it so badly and 'be in the loop' but there's no way I could justify getting a japanese 3ds and the game(s).

sorry dude

I pretty much went into the game knowing about that and some of the features/mechanics changes

to be fair though most people aren't in the loop, it's just some people are importing or pirating the game and some are spoiling themselves but those people are chumps anyway and they're not going to truly enjoy the game for what it's worth like others might. but yeah I feel you because we've pretty much all been in that situation but in the end the silent majority of people aren't playing it and won't until 2016 and aren't in the loop and you just gotta kinda remember that as you wait or else you can feel like you're missing out or something >_> which is something I hate and part of why I imported it, because as someone who pretty much has to keep up with FE news for the sake of what I do I can't just avoid it.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:12 PM

it's just some people are importing...but those people are chumps anyway

Blazer confirmed chump.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:15 AM

Blazer confirmed chump.

huehuehue

I mean I'll admit I can be a chump but you know that comment was actually directed at you =P

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

huehuehue

I mean I'll admit I can be a chump but you know that comment was actually directed at you =P

Why, did this chump import it? Hahaha

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I totally would have imported it, but for now I can wait. It just means I need to avoid the Fire Emblem /vg/ thread on 4chan now because all they talk about is the new game. Where am I supposed to get funny FE images and maymays now?

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#11 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:21 AM

Why, did this chump import it? Hahaha

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I totally would have imported it, but for now I can wait. It just means I need to avoid the Fire Emblem /vg/ thread on 4chan now because all they talk about is the new game. Where am I supposed to get funny FE images and maymays now?

you can live without your FE memes for a while, please

I think you mentioned it's about $300 but I could find a 3DS for about $145 or 130 euros, the game you can pay for using an international credit card (i.e. get it digitally) and it'd be cheaper that way, probably about $40 or $36 euros, and then just add maybe $20 for shipping for the 3DS? not sure how much shipping to Ireland would be but even if it was super expensive at $35, that'd be about $145+40+35 = 220 dollars or about 205 euros, + some for tax but $250 or less in the end

that's assuming you get a classic 3DS though, an XL will cost about $20-25 more and a New 3DS will probably cost about $50 more so yeah

I guess with dumb SHIPPING and TAXES it can end up closer to $300 than I thought, but it might be $50-80 cheaper, just FYI

sorry I kinda like doing math when it comes to shopping because I like saving money I'm weird idk

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fire Emblem Fates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users