Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Vegetarianism

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#1 Tino

Tino

Omega Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:12 AM

There have been only very few societies in which eating meat or fish was forbidden. In several parts of the world, though, people often suffer from poverty and eat but staple foods such as rice, which rarely have meat and fish added to it. In Western societies, voluntary vegetarianism is on the increase. Is it right for human beings to eat other animals, including fish?

I would like the input of other people before giving my own.

Also, please provide some reasoning behind your thoughts.

#2 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:24 AM

Yes I believe that being an Omnivore is right. I mean the animals aren't there for any other reason and humans need protein.
Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#3 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:46 AM

Ahem. As a shirt I wear says "Animals ARE NOT People." And on the back "So Dig In."

I find vegetarian quite stupid. LET'S SAVE MOTHER EARTH BY EATING HER!
Yeah, great plan. Next time I want to save someone's life, I'll go slit their wrists for them, it'll help.

"But it's cute and living and it has feelings!" So? That sounds like pretentious crap to me, someone spent too many mornings watching Bugs Bunny.

No offense to vegetarians, I don't think you're stupid, just some of your beliefs. smile.gif
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)
Yeah, that is what we get. Never mess with Kensai. XD

QUOTE (badkiara103)
Who doesn't want to kill a helpless little girl.

The Holy Kensai Fan Club!
Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#4 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:48 AM

I see no problem with the consumption of animals to a degree. Nowadays we are overconsuming them (such as cod) to a point where it affects the environment. And with the population ever-expanding, it's only going to get worse. As far as vegetables go, it's more sustainable, and you can get all you need from them. The problem is the fact that fields are now getting taken up by alternative fuel resources.

And Oblivion, animals are key to the environment. If other animals aren't here for a reason, we're not here for any reason either.

#5 Tino

Tino

Omega Member

• Veterans
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:49 AM

Oblivion: While I agree that being an omnivore is not ethically wrong, I do not so much agree with your reasoning behind it.

"The sole purpose of animals is to be eaten."

Perhaps if you look at it from a very grand scale (read: the entire circle of life), that might be true to a certain extent. Though even then, animals have plenty of other functionality, as mentioned earlier.

I'll provide some of my thoughts on it, too.

The main reason to being a vegetarian is to reduce the suffering of animals. All those animals we eat meat of are living creatures like us. They feel pain and joy as much as we do. When we do not need to do so, it's wrong to kill these animals for food. Even moreso because the methods are very cruel. This is very nice and all, but eating meat does not necessarily mean cruelty to animals. Organic and free-range farms provide meat without said cruelty. It's also sometimes brought up that animal welfare laws to protect farm animals need to be extended, but that does not mean it's principally wrong to eat meat.

#6 Roque Minonovo

Roque Minonovo

Weed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:02 AM

I eat meat simply because I'm biologically meant to. I don't mind eating vegetarian or even vegan from time to time, but it's not my primary diet. It seems more likely that you will get sick from undercooked meat rather than undercooked vegetables, however, and getting sick from undercooked beef stopped me from eating meat for a month or so.

#7 Felover3

Felover3

feLURKER

• Veterans
  • 1,020 posts
  • Interests:Archery, Guns, Ballroom Dancing, Cooking, Board Games, Magic TCG, Gaming, FE, Lost in Blue.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:32 AM

I'm fine with other peope being vegetarians as long as they don't try and tell me "Eating animals is wrong", like...I dunno...PETA?

I mean, isn't just as mean to take a fruit that a plant spent it's entire life making just to spread it's future genes, and you just eat it, and not let the seeds grow into new plants.

That's the same to me as breeding to kill them, you breed the veggies and fruits to kill their offspring.
-------------------------------------
The Legendary Lurker

"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone's eyes and steal whatever the hell life gave them." ~Me

Has a Blazor Favor

#8 Chris

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Fire Emblem, Metal Gear Solid, Football

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE (Oblivion @ August 10, 2009 06:24 pm)
Yes I believe that being an Omnivore is right. I mean the animals aren't there for any other reason and humans need protein.

Every living thing has protein. It's just that vegetarians need to have certain plants to get certain amino acids. As far as I know, meat has all the amino acids we need.

In the subject of health, we shouldn't eat meat. Red meats, that is. Poultry and fish are good every once and a while.

Realistically, most people crave meat. It's eat or be eaten. Seeing as we're at the top of the food chain, we'll eat to our hearts' content. Most animals would do the same to us (even though a lot of animals don't like the taste of human flesh).

Logically, we get much of our oxygen from plants. I'd rather eat a cow than have people take my breath away.

^
Joke. Trees provide us with much of our oxygen. Plants give us a smaller percentage (obviously).
Look who finally decided to get a sig!

user posted image

#9 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

There's nothing wrong with eating meat, Science doesn't deem it wrong, religion doesn't have a problem with it, (Some religions outlaw eating of meat, some outlaw eating a specific type, but overall meat eating is allowed) As far as I can tell the only objections to eating meat is that it's the consumption of another living animal.

Meat tastes good, is a reason equally important to that hence they cancel eachother out. Therefore no problems with eating meat

#10 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Tsuki-Hime @ August 15, 2009 04:30 pm)
There's nothing wrong with eating meat, Science doesn't deem it wrong

Science has shown that eating red meat increases the chance of obtaining arthiritis, actually. And of course, there's been mad cow disease and all.

#11 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

Hmm but on the other hand it also promotes it as good for you in other senses (I forget what) plus mad cow disease is irrelevant, it's like saying the common cold means you are defective as a human since your immune system couldn't prevent it.

#12 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Tsuki-Hime @ August 15, 2009 04:50 pm)
Hmm but on the other hand it also promotes it as good for you in other senses (I forget what) plus mad cow disease is irrelevant, it's like saying the common cold means you are defective as a human since your immune system couldn't prevent it.

Yes, it is irrelevant, I admit that, but I just like throwing it around sometimes.

Also, Human methods of production are a major problem for certain plants. Nearly all the bananas produced are at serious risk due to having no genetic diversity.

#13 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

It is stupid cuz no matter what people say no plant or bean gives you the protien that meat does. Yes you can drink protien shakes but is that as fun as eating a huge t-bone steak? No.

Plus fish have those Omega-3 fatty acids that help brain function. Can you get that by eating a bunch of leaves?
user posted image

#14 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

bblues, about bananas, yeah that's because humans cultivated them so they would be yellow. :/ Cause Bananas must be yellow even though it's not their natural color.

Vegetarian is just stupid. The animals are sedated before they are killed and thus feel no pain when becoming yummy.

It's like the people who complain about the seal hunt, because they've seen pictures of seals being clubbed. Which was out-lawed. About twenty years ago, maybe thirty. They are presented the wrong facts and believe them.

QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#15 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (Ulquiorra @ August 16, 2009 02:08 am)
It is stupid cuz no matter what people say no plant or bean gives you the protien that meat does.

You can easily supplement proteins in with certain vegetables.

#16 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:27 AM

No all of them. And like I said meat is more fun and tasty than leaves and stalks. Nothing against vegitarians but I love meat. NO GAY JOKES
user posted image

#17 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (Ulquiorra @ August 16, 2009 04:27 am)
And like I said meat is more fun and tasty than leaves and stalks. Nothing against vegitarians but I love meat.

I just don't see how it's more 'fun'. I'm not a vegetarian, but that's not exactly a great reason you give there.

#18 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:45 AM

Fun is a questionable term, since "fun" isn't really a factor when eating, Stop playing with your food! Though I guess there is the sense that protein drink doesn't seem as filling, technically the nutrients may be replenished but it just doesn't seem filling,

I'm not one to choose what I eat based on what's good for me and what's not, hence the taste is more important then the "goodness" contained in the foods. If you were given the option of Protein drink or meat for lunch, which would you choose?

#19 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:50 AM

Lol I know that was a wierd way to put it but steak, chicken, pork, burgers, fish, whatever is really good. I luv meat.

And to answer your question Tsuki I choose meat normally but when I had my teeth pulled I had the shake. I drink them as extra protien for when I run/lift.
user posted image

#20 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

As to defend Ulq, eating meat is fun because you can rub it in vegetarian's faces. Join the "For every animal you don't eat, I'll eat three" campaign. It's one animal for me, one for the vegetarian, and one extra to be a jerk. smile.gif
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users