Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Colleges

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Felover3

Felover3

feLURKER

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Interests:Archery, Guns, Ballroom Dancing, Cooking, Board Games, Magic TCG, Gaming, FE, Lost in Blue.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Well guys, I'm alive I guess. I'll be honest that between working on my 9 courses this year, my senior project, and my applications to colleges I haven't been around much (as I've been spending my spare moments catching up on the backlog of books/games I have to go through).

However, just as a source of reference, what colleges are you high schoolers applying or thinking of attending? What colleges have those have attended have to say about their own?

-------------------------------------
The Legendary Lurker

"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone's eyes and steal whatever the hell life gave them." ~Me

Has a Blazor Favor

#2 Swordsalmon

Swordsalmon

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

A word of advice: when applying for the university, go to a university that you is within your state. Out-of-state tuition is crazy expensive, and not worth it unless you absolutely need to go to that school (Mainly Harvard for lawyers, and that's about it).

There's nothing wrong with attending a community college before university, either. Look at what degree you're going for, and look for a university within your state. You don't want to be in debt.

#3 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I'm a junior this year, so this has become something I have to think about. It isn't going well. I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for in a college, or even what I want to do in college. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that I don't know what I don't want to do in college.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Case Western Reserve! It's small and awesome and you can hang out with me biggrin.gif but seriously I don't know what your financial situation is like but you'll more likely than not need financial aid if you're going to a higher prestige private school or something

Also 9 courses sounds a bit much, should you really be taking so many? >_>'

Your choice, I guess, drop by more often though, okay? By the way, I'm demoting you soon.

No, seriously.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

As a senior, I've got to think about this soon. I know that I'm going to a local community college to start, but from there..? Still not positive what I want to major in, either. I'm thinking about art, animation, or computers, but that's not too easy to narrow down.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#6 Mikki

Mikki

Ultra Member

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Felover3 @ Oct 25 2012, 10:52 PM)
Well guys, I'm alive I guess. I'll be honest that between working on my 9 courses this year, my senior project, and my applications to colleges I haven't been around much (as I've been spending my spare moments catching up on the backlog of books/games I have to go through).

However, just as a source of reference, what colleges are you high schoolers applying or thinking of attending? What colleges have those have attended have to say about their own?

I'm definitely staying local and going to a small college. Not community, but small. I don't think I'll be able to survive in a big college. But that's just me. D:

#7 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Universidad del Desarrollo O La Universidad De los Andes, Medicina

These 2 colleges are right 30-60 minutes from my house, Los Andes for almost anything and Desarrollo for Medicine since it's 3rd best in the country (chile).
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#8 Solace

Solace

WEW LAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Though I'm in my Sophomore year, this'll be essential to think about pretty soon. >_>

I was planning on applying for Temple University, which is also where my sister went and graduated almost two years ago, but I may decide to go elsewhere that is closer to where I live.

damn time flies

tumblr_mof6qo3kgA1s5v7tdo1_500.gif

#9 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Oct 26 2012, 08:12 AM)
Still not positive what I want to major in, either. I'm thinking about art,

Biggest waste of a major. Don't.
Posted Image

#10 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Last year (I call myself 4th year, I think that's, what, American "Senior" year?) BSc Chemical Engineer with a Biomedical specialization here from the University of Calgary.

Here's what I have to say about looking for a university:
- Research your college/university far in advance. Know what you're wanting to take, and make sure the place you're going has at least a reasonable reputation for preparing you for your future.
- If you can, find one in your hometown (as long as it prepares you): Money you save from living at home is amazing.
- Don't be afraid to look internationally. I think there's a bit of a problem with having a higher grade requirement, but the US has the most outrageous tuition costs in the world. Heck, even in Canada, I can afford a full degree for some of your guy's single year.

What I have to say about the U of C:
- It's a decent place. It provides a solid engineering, business, and law platform, but not a great deal else...other degrees seem to be reserved for the "mature" students with more years of work. Tuition is reasonable: I think it was $24 000 for my full degree.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#11 Swordsalmon

Swordsalmon

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Ryokutheman @ Oct 26 2012, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Oct 26 2012, 08:12 AM)
Still not positive what I want to major in, either. I'm thinking about art,

Biggest waste of a major. Don't.

To expand on this, you won't find work with a degree in art. You just won't. I know of exactly one person who is benefitting by pursuing a degree in art, and that's only because she runs her own business on the side.

Seriously, plan ahead on what you want to work on. I'm currently pursuing a bachelor's in Criminal Justice (Which isn't a great degree), but I'm enlisted in the Guard and will be commissioning active. Even if your career doesn't require a specific degree, make sure that degree can be used if you leave the job for one reason or another. I know a ton of ROTC kids who are screwing themselves over by choosing 'easy' majors that will be completely useless once they leave the Army.

#12 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Alright then, I s'pose. I wouldn't mind doing something in addition to whatever art career, though I'd fail hard, more than likely.

Spoiler

#13 Ristau

Ristau

LIGHTS Super-fan

• Veterans
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

There's just no need for an art degree. Like, Van Gogh (sp) didn't have to have a degree, because Art isn't based on a degree lol. "This painting is worth more becuz he has a PHD in art!"
Posted Image

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

^lol, dat logic

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

If and when I use my GI Bill I'm going to Florida State University to try my hand at diesel engineering.
user posted image

#16 Felover3

Felover3

feLURKER

• Veterans
  • 1,020 posts
  • Interests:Archery, Guns, Ballroom Dancing, Cooking, Board Games, Magic TCG, Gaming, FE, Lost in Blue.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

Well, I'm planning on a math/compsci dual major. Should of mentioned that one earler.

It's also nice to see the wide variety of ages/options you guys have planned out or made up for yourselves.
-------------------------------------
The Legendary Lurker

"When life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone's eyes and steal whatever the hell life gave them." ~Me

Has a Blazor Favor

#17 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

I don't really know what my plan is. I really want to continue music and theatre, but obviously I don't want to double major in those, and I don't think triple majoring or even double majoring with a minor seems very doable. Thinking something like double majoring in chem and theatre while playing in an orchestra or something. Maybe.

Not to mention the issue of what college I want to go to. Looking at quite a few in California (lots of schools that are really good at everything around there) and then a bunch spread out all over the rest of the US, and of course a couple close to home. The problem is that, unless I want to go to BYU (Mormon college, you aren't even allowed to read books that swear while you go there, possessing alcohol regardless of age is grounds for expulsion, etc.) and go absolutely insane, I don't really have good options for music or theatre close to home, as far as I know. I do know that I've got about as good a chance at getting into any college as you can get (the likes of Yale and such are always a complete crapshoot, even if you have a 3.99 GPA and ~2300 on the SAT, like I won't), but ugh financial aid.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#18 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Ah, colleges. Fun stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about it-- you learn the same stuff in the first two years at any school really. I had no idea what I wanted to do going in, but colleges/universities these days are great at showing you what different majors have to offer.

Also, don't get too over-ambitious. Dual-majors will take much longer than the standard 4 years. IMO, you're better off getting a major and then a minor in undergrad, then going for a master's degree. Same time period, a better degree.

For some real experience-- I took close to max credits every semester and I'm going to be graduating with both a major and a minor in the spring (four years). It would've been physically impossible to get a dual major because of credit restrictions.

This is coming from a guy who knows college pretty well, btw.
user posted image

#19 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Video games, reading, writing, and other such creative things.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

A bit late, but hi there! I know how college can be. Not saying of been to one, but my brother and sisters have and they've told me. tongue.gif

Everything Bobryk said is probably what they told me.

Got Pokemon X/Y or OR/AS? Battle me! Or trade with me... Trading is cool too.
3DS FC: 5300-9087-1138 (PM me if you add me so I know to add you back.)

Have Smash Bros for Wii U? Battle me there too! 

Nintendo Network ID: GoldenWarriorX (No need to notify me in this case, it will.)

#20 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Ryokutheman @ Oct 26 2012, 10:18 PM)
There's just no need for an art degree. Like, Van Gogh (sp) didn't have to have a degree, because Art isn't based on a degree lol. "This painting is worth more becuz he has a PHD in art!"

Wasn't even thinking of a degree, though. More of just training/learning how to not be bad at art forever.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users