Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

"Emo" People

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

1)Darn?
2)Th general view towards emos are that they are fake and stupid, at least that has been my experience, and I agree with it.
3)It did not suddenly appear, I mentioned this pages ago. I defined emo as a style of attention whoring, and the way they did it was highly inane.
4)It's not Canada, it's the province I'm from. Everyone is super friendly, and not that they're sex freaks, just that they are honest and will answer most questions freely. Sorry than my people are honest, I can try lying for you if you want.
4.5) LOL. In all honesty, it as been my experience, both offline and online, mostly offline, in all three countries I've visited, that girls in highschool level and post-secondary level and a lot of adult females thought a lot more about sex/craved sex more than most males. I say most because of rapists, pretty sure no one wants sex more than them.
4.6) Doing something to be different is a horrible way of attention whoring, if being different comes naturally, then I will endorse it. Theoretically, of course.
5)A spat to me is moreso a flamewar than a debate. If you're going to call this a spat then stay out of the Maturity Domain unless you want to hate everyone involved. tongue.gif

@BBlues, you are correct.
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)
Yeah, that is what we get. Never mess with Kensai. XD

QUOTE (badkiara103)
Who doesn't want to kill a helpless little girl.

The Holy Kensai Fan Club!
Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#42 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Holy_kensai @ April 16, 2009 08:58 pm)
4.6) Doing something to be different is a horrible way of attention whoring

I knew someone who used to do this. Annoying as hell, he got hated on nearly all the time by most of the class.

#43 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

Yeah. :/ What was said about God?

It's better to have God's hate than his indifference.
I think you can understand what I'm getting at here.

People just want attention, they don't care if it's good or bad. Usually it's bad, which leads to them doing something else, which leads to more bad. Yeah. :/ That isn't exactly fluently described, but you know. EXAMPLE
Guy pretends to be gay for attention, class hates him, so guy goes emo for more attention, class hates him more, so guy gets another guy pregnant, class is bewildered. lolwut
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

Holy Kensai Suzaku Seraph Ryoku Mankut8397 Blazer Oblivion Riadansen Caladbolg Pie

#44 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (bblues @ April 16, 2009 06:09 pm)

Now you're stereotyping xD . 'Cause I know I'm not thinking 24/7 about it, nor have I ever done that.

You're the exception.

2)Th general view towards emos are that they are fake and stupid, at least that has been my experience, and I agree with it.

You've just had bad luck in meeting emos. They're people like everyone else, and all different. I am neither stupid nor fake (though waht exactly do you mean by fake?)

4)It's not Canada, it's the province I'm from. Everyone is super friendly, and not that they're sex freaks, just that they are honest and will answer most questions freely. Sorry than my people are honest, I can try lying for you if you want.

Actually, thats quite cool. I imagine getting orientation out of the way early saves embarassment. I don't know would I tell the truth to a stanger though (it's hard enough telling friends).

4.5) LOL. In all honesty, it as been my experience, both offline and online, mostly offline, in all three countries I've visited, that girls in highschool level and post-secondary level and a lot of adult females thought a lot more about sex/craved sex more than most males. I say most because of rapists, pretty sure no one wants sex more than them.

I've had the exact opposite experience. Indeed, I just spent the night with five other guys, and all they talked about was sex.

4.6) Doing something to be different is a horrible way of attention whoring, if being different comes naturally, then I will endorse it. Theoretically, of course.

I feel that this isn't true. You're just intolerant of other people being different than the social norm.

Of Raven heart and Sable mind.

#45 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Leo @ April 17, 2009 04:34 pm)
QUOTE (bblues @ April 16, 2009 06:09 pm)

Now you're stereotyping xD . 'Cause I know I'm not thinking 24/7 about it, nor have I ever done that.

You're the exception.

Don't say it's so!

I'm all alone in the world now....

#46 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

@ Leo, Learn to pay attention. Read what I've typed before. Being different is okay. being different for getting attention AKA NOT DIFFERENT JUST PRETENDING, is stupid.
Fake as in the above, or being hypocrites to a severe level.
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

#47 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

I find that's a bit vague, how do determine if people are being different for attention or if people are different and getting attention. (And I don't want to hear you can just tell 95% of the time or any rubbish like that, since it's unlikely people answer "yes I'm different")

From what I've read of your posts, (especially your latest) you seem to imply that your dislike is directed not at "emo's" but at "fake emo's" (whatever the difference is).

I can't agree with your fake theory, since it's judged on an personal base. And frankly what your saying doesn't make sense

-Emo's are fake and are inferior since they're attention whores
-You're against people who "pretend" to be what they're not for the sake of attention.
VS
-All humans are attention whores

So as long as you act perfectly naturally you can attention whore all you want? As far as I'm concerned "pretending" to be anything isn't that much different from the real thing. The only difference is within the individuals own mind. As all characters in a minority do not have equivalent traits, making them all different, so a pretender amongst them is.

I'm not really happy with the term "fake." If a guy acts, dresses like an emo, then from an exterior point of view aren't they an emo? "Think" would be another factor, but since people can't read eachothers minds, as long as they "act" I'm certain it doesn't matter as thought is not a tangible/visible object.

#48 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (Holy_kensai @ April 18, 2009 02:54 am)
@ Leo, Learn to pay attention. Read what I've typed before. Being different is okay. being different for getting attention AKA NOT DIFFERENT JUST PRETENDING, is stupid.
Fake as in the above, or being hypocrites to a severe level.

I read what you typed, and it didn't make sense.
Believe it or not emos are different from non-emos. They listen to different music, hang out with different people, think different thoughts, have a different world-view, have different tastes. I don't see how you can fake this, and how you could tell if someone was.

Also the "attention" emos get is of the negative kind. They do face a lot of abuse and prejudice from people (I should know). Anyone who would voluntarily subject themselves to it is an idiot.

#49 Holy Kensai

Holy Kensai

Kaiser.

• Veterans
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

:/ You guys seem to read half my posts, and then zone out, seriously.

Aya, your whole post, here is the answer. Please read it all. All humans are attention whores, Emo is just a Style of doing it, and the way they do it is horrible.

Leo, if it doesn't make sense, then you will never understand, and it is pointless debating this with you. Most humans ARE idiots. Especially teenagers.

Also, to add to response to Aya, please read this too, it's kinda of easy to tell if someone is fake if they keep messing up, being a hypocrite, or constantly contradict themselves. Obviously in a manner a lot more are "normal."
QUOTE (Ryrumeli)

QUOTE (badkiara103)

#50 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Anime, RP'ing, Sleeping, Eating, Resting..... well I couldn't think of much I'm content not having a social life:P

Posted 19 April 2009 - 01:07 AM

Okay, then why is it a horrible way of doing it? Would you rather they hijack a plane and kill a building full of people? I really can't see how "acting" depressed and gloomy is going to get anyone any positive attention, and you can say they'll accept any attention, but I find despite being stupid human beings tend to not like getting hurt.

Hmm so I guess that makes me a "fake" as well then, since I think human life is worthless, but I still wouldn't go around killing people or myself. I think the people around me are stupid but I still treat them like equals.

You don't seem to understand that all humans contradict themselves, and constantly mess up (contradict = hypocrite?). For example, one could believe that democracy is the best form of politics but still believe in certain authoritarian or communist ideology. Alot of people mess up, it's called a mistake, and I'm certain even you've done that.

#51 Tino

Tino

Omega Member

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

tl;dr

QUOTE (AS Deadly @ April 13, 2009 11:03 pm)
I frequently see CLEARLY heterosexual males displaying acts of homosexualism.

What a retarded statement.

If they display homosexuality, than how for ****s sake are they clearly heterosexual? Simply put, they aren't.

QUOTE (Felover3 @ April 14, 2009 01:04 am)
Most people complain to get attention, and slitting your wrists gets sympathy.

Excuse me, but I've never heard of people getting sympathy for slitting their wrists. If anything, it disgusts other people and makes them racist and/or prejudicial towards those people who as a matter of fact do slit their wrists, no matter which reason they have to do so.

QUOTE (Aya-Tsuki @ April 14, 2009 08:23 am)
Hmm emo's. I don't really agree with most of what's been said here. I mean alot of people "the stereotypes" are indeed people who act "emo" to seek attention, after observing 3 highschools I found that the Year 8's (the youngest lot) often claimed to be emo and dressed in ways that would imply emo. These people are plain attention seekers, it's hard to question otherwise.

Agreed.

On the other hand you have people who literally suffer from some "dark idea" I mean depression is a pshycologically accepted state of mind, and calling everyone with depression "emo" (in the attention seeking sense) is perhaps wrong.

I don't know where you even got the idea that as soon as someone's depressed, the general view on that person becomes that he's emo. I can tell you what that idea is, though: retarded.

There are plenty of people who have a depression from time to time, and then live their life as they did before when that's over. Does this make them emo during those small periods of depression? Obviously not. Girls are sometimes depressed when they're having their period. Does this automatically make them emo for one day? That's one hell of a rhetorical question, because the answer is obviously no, no matter who asks the question.

It applies to the typical wrist cutting, I mean anyone can get a knife put it up against their wrist and say "I'm emo" but the act of actually cutting yourself is another matter. My personal belief is if they want to die, let them die. But I wouldn't call them attention seekers just because they botched a suicide attempt.

Suicidal performances are no worse than plain murders. Mustlim-extremists crash some plains into the World Trade Center and want to die there because Allah told them to do so. Does this make their performance just?

I disagree with the heterosexual argument though, from what I believe I think the homosexuality in that comes from two things, one is loneliness and being weak willed to the extent you will seek acceptance in anything and that includes another fellow "emo" whether they be male or female.

The second is homosexual tendencies that harbour within the individual, one could be an "emo" yet hate the male/male kissing. Because they have a strong anti-homosexual belief. This is an exception (as Kensai(?) said) but I'm sure if they wanted attention they would have chosen a more... socially accepted method of gaining it. And it's not like trying to kill yourself isn't going to get them enough attention as it is.

It's as I said when I commented on AS Deadly's post: If they display homosexuality, than how for ****s sake are they clearly heterosexual? Simply put, they aren't.

Overall I don't have anything against the actual "emo's" while I find the wannabe emo's distasteful. If your attitude is that they are all mere attention seekers then perhaps you are right, but society gives attention to them by choice, if it wanted to it could most likely ignore it (as it's done to many minorities in the past)

There are people who are emo, and there are people who aren't. There's nothing in-between. There also aren't partial terrorists.

what most of you are discussing seems like fashion to me, something that grew popular in a minority group that the general public isn't too happy about, as proof alot of supposed emo's dress like them but aren't even remotely 'emo" inside.

The way emos dress is one of the major things that distinguishes them from other people, so it's a topic that's definitely worth discussing.

I personally think the world sucks, I think that I'm alone in this big scary world. However on the same note I don't really give a damn, the world sucks it always has, I'll whinge about it cause it's there but I also know my whining isn't going to change anything.

I think I've used this term multiple times in this post already, but I'm going to call you a retard for thinking this. Anyone who thinks the world is crap is retarded, in my opinion. Think of me as being retarded myself for saying that, but it's true. You're a living human being. Get something out of that life instead of... whatever you do with it.

This probably puts me somewhere in the emo category but I definetely won't kill myself because the world sucks, that's the worlds problem why should I die because of it?

****tard.

Yes, you heard that right. I made an insulting comment towards you.

It's the world's problem that you think it sucks? I've never heard such a hilarious statement, and therefore I really hope you're joking, but I am 99.999999% sure you aren't. It's exactly the other way around. It's your problem that you think the world sucks. Why is it like that? Because the world isn't going to change just because there's a certain culture who thinks the world is nothing but a bunch of crap. Instead, those who have such beliefs are actual personalities who actually can change their state of mind and actually do something good with their life without continuously whining about how much the world sucks.

On that note it's funny how guys making out can = emo, but when girls do it most males think of it as hot >_> Twisted logic right there.

Homesexual actions that people take are only very rarely being related to the emo culture by the vast majority of the people. Besides, people feeling attracted to other people of the same gender is very normal in modern society.

Though I do agree with you that the logic is twisted, it's not because of the reason you stated.

QUOTE (Leo @ April 14, 2009 10:35 am)
I'm taking offense to that. It's not posible to tell someone's orientation by looking, any more than you can tell their favourite colour. Some people may "act gay" to make it obvious if they wish, but the majority just act normal and you can't tell. This is speaking as someone who is Bi

This can have various meanings, all of which should be fairly obvious, but I'll list them nonetheless. You are either bisexual, homosexual, or quickly insulted. I'm not going to bother finding out which of the three it is.

Yes, you often can tell when people are gay. They often are dressed differently than heterosexual people, they are often friends with many more females than they are with males, the infamous "gay hand", and so on.

And the same applies to many other things. A person's looks and behavior can all be measured against various general symptoms of a certain orientation and can therefore be used to determine one's orientation. Granted, this doesn't always work out, but this can be applies the vast majority of the time to the vast majority of the people.

Girls making out is hot (guys doing it is just as hot though).

This totally makes me think you indeed are bisexual, which is one of the options I listed above.

Not that it matters to me, I'm just saying it for the sake of saying it.

About the whole emo=gay thing, LGBT people often are quite harshly bullied in schools, and therefore have a cause to be depressed and emo-like.

As I already implied above, depression is never automatically associated with the emo culture.

QUOTE (Aya-Tsuki @ April 16, 2009 02:53 am)
I disagree, this is your opinion of the issue, and you can hardly prove that they are pretending no matter how good your sex-radar is.

Similarly, it's your opinion that it's the other way around. I, however, agree with neither of you.

It's true that there's a general concensus towards emos that says things like "depressed, cuts wrists, hates the world, etc", which would explain why it could be a stereotype. On the other hand, there are emos who do indeed fit the description of being depressed all the time, cutting themselves and hating world and all whatnot, which means that it also could be a psychologic analysis.

However, considering how there's a good amount of people who has a different view on emos, and how there are also emos who do not cut themselves, who do not always hate the world, et cetera, it also can't be seen as a psychological analyses.

I sense contradiction in this as well, earlier (It may have been somone else) self-harm was mentioned, and in most cases "emo's" don't go around showing their wounds going "Look at me! I cut myself" Sure they get the attention when their injured but that could quite easily be contained in a small group of people.

If it wasn't Kensai who mentioned the self-harm, then there also isn't a contradiction. That's just common sense. You should check who said what before you start mumbling things randomly, which this seems to be due to you not checking who's arguments you're actually countering.

Anyways.

No, emos indeed don't showcase their wounds, but what you're mentioning in the little paragraph I'm replying to right now are two completely distinct things.

"They don't showcase their wounds!"
"They showcase their wounds in contained groups!"

If anyone's being contradicting at the moment, it's you.

Also hating oneself and committing suicide are not the same thing, that would be the same as hating someone and murder, do you murder everyone you dislike?

Those aren't similar scenarios. At all.

The emos you're mentioning now are those that hate the world completely and want to escape from it by committing suicide. When a person hates someone else so much that he wants to place a bullet in the other person's head, that person isn't sick of the world, but simply sick of one person.

I've no idea where you even got the idea of comparing these two completely distinct scenarios.

There is also the factor of fear, and mentaly instability where the individual has convinced themselves they are worthless but subconciously they still retain the "normal" human idea that they're life is not worthless, I personally call this hope, and hope is the pre-mature version of despair, hence unless one can convince themselves their not worthless suicide may be the end result when despair is heaped ontop of their already sorry beliefs.

If they're not conscious of their idea that they aren't worthless, then that's also not hope. When you hope, you wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment, which means you must be conscious of what your idea is. If you're not, then you also can't get hope from that idea.

Get your terminology right before you start making claims.

Also, if I said emos are gay, I did not mean in a homosexual way. If you are refering to what Deadly said, he meant emo = fake gay. Which is most of the time true.

What the hell is "fake gay" supposed to mean? This is a serious, mature debate. Vague terms like those shouldn't be used at all, unless their vagueness is appropriate, which it definitely isn't at this moment.

I'm not going to bother countering the rest of this post since I already reflected my counters to those arguments earlier in this post.

Though there is still one thing:

From what you've said in the above I get the impression you are the type of person who is self centered. (Which is not a bad thing in my perspective) Those who you dislike are all an inferior "fake" group, those you judge as homosexual become homosexual. (@Kensai: Couldn't find our last spat but this could be one?)

Don't pretend you're some kind of psychologist. Seriously.

And now I'm sick of having typed so much, and this was basically everything I wanted to say anyway.

#52 Tsuki-Hime

Tsuki-Hime

Whiney Fucking Bitch

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Excuse me, but I've never heard of people getting sympathy for slitting their wrists. If anything, it disgusts other people and makes them racist and/or prejudicial towards those people who as a matter of fact do slit their wrists, no matter which reason they have to do so.

Hmm well then you haven't heard of many people commenting about the issue then. Since I find that pity/sympathy is usually the first response people have when their told that someone they knew slit their wrist. I will however admit disgust is a notable reaction as well, but I find sympathy far out numbers it.

I don't know where you even got the idea that as soon as someone's depressed, the general view on that person becomes that he's emo. I can tell you what that idea is, though: retarded.

There are plenty of people who have a depression from time to time, and then live their life as they did before when that's over. Does this make them emo during those small periods of depression? Obviously not. Girls are sometimes depressed when they're having their period. Does this automatically make them emo for one day? That's one hell of a rhetorical question, because the answer is obviously no, no matter who asks the question.

Depressed does not equal emo, but emo often is associated with depression or other supposively negative ideas. So you've got it the other way around. Your later comment on periodic depression however is obviously correct though.

Suicidal performances are no worse than plain murders. Mustlim-extremists crash some plains into the World Trade Center and want to die there because Allah told them to do so. Does this make their performance just?

So the act of suicide by one individual is equivalent to mass-murder? Hmm well considering the number of lives affected I have to disagree, and in return call you a "retard" for thinking that. And this is an extreme, but honestly comparing these two is stretching it a bit.

It's as I said when I commented on AS Deadly's post: If they display homosexuality, than how for ****s sake are they clearly heterosexual? Simply put, they aren't.

Firstly I never said "clearly" and uncertainty in sexual preference exists whether you think actions define everything. I personally know a person who is heterosexual but performed sexual acts with another of the same sex, during a small period after a break up. Does this make them bisexual, or is sexual preference something you can change everytime you get into bed?

There are people who are emo, and there are people who aren't. There's nothing in-between. There also aren't partial terrorists.

An interesting remark, but an silly one nonetheless, there is no clear cut line between emo and non-emo. From your perspective an individual may be an emo, but from my perspective the same individual might not be. Unless you are saying there is some strong distinguishing point between an emo and a non-emo this argument falls apart.

I think I've used this term multiple times in this post already, but I'm going to call you a retard for thinking this. Anyone who thinks the world is crap is retarded, in my opinion. Think of me as being retarded myself for saying that, but it's true. You're a living human being. Get something out of that life instead of... whatever you do with it.

****tard.

Yes, you heard that right. I made an insulting comment towards you.

It's the world's problem that you think it sucks? I've never heard such a hilarious statement, and therefore I really hope you're joking, but I am 99.999999% sure you aren't. It's exactly the other way around. It's your problem that you think the world sucks. Why is it like that? Because the world isn't going to change just because there's a certain culture who thinks the world is nothing but a bunch of crap. Instead, those who have such beliefs are actual personalities who actually can change their state of mind and actually do something good with their life without continuously whining about how much the world sucks.

Firstly thank you for your kind remark, however I'll have to decline your offer of thinking your retarded for believing the world isn't crappy. Since the world is different for each of us, don't get this mixed up with me saying we all live on different planets. The thing is your experiences in life, your ideas and your surroundings may differ considerably from mine. From my perspective the world is a crappy place, and as for my life I'm doing what you normal people do, study, work, sleep, eat , etc. Just because I think the world sucks it doesn't mean I haven't experienced what you people consider "fun." I just don't consider most social practices as enjoyable.

Yes it's the worlds problem it sucks, and if the world claims it's not it's problem then it's no ones problem. You seem to imply that I'm in some abnormal state of mind, and perhaps I am but I'm making the most out of my life while whining about it. Though I'll point out thinking "nothing will change, so why bother" is actually rather sad. Otherwise your existence is questioned itself, will you change the world in some noticeable way? Or will the sun rise tomorrow regardless of whether you exist or not? Most likely the latter, so if your existence changes nothing why continue it?

Also hating oneself and committing suicide are not the same thing, that would be the same as hating someone and murder, do you murder everyone you dislike?

Those aren't similar scenarios. At all.

The emos you're mentioning now are those that hate the world completely and want to escape from it by committing suicide. When a person hates someone else so much that he wants to place a bullet in the other person's head, that person isn't sick of the world, but simply sick of one person.

I've no idea where you even got the idea of comparing these two completely distinct scenarios.

Oh sure, and terrorist mass-murders and taking ones own life is?

Hmm depends on the type of suicide I guess, in some cases individuals kill themself believing they are worthless, or hating something about themselves. But in most cases they are sick of the world, or rather their existence in the world. I say this because I'm a retard who hates the world, yet hasn't "escaped" via suicide. To actually kill yourself you have to come to accept your existence to be either worthless or a negative. Hating oneself and hating another, I don't see much difference.

If they're not conscious of their idea that they aren't worthless, then that's also not hope. When you hope, you wish for something with expectation of its fulfillment, which means you must be conscious of what your idea is. If you're not, then you also can't get hope from that idea.

Get your terminology right before you start making claims.

Hmm so your telling me that worthless, hope can not exist in an sub-concious form? I don't think my terminology is wrong at all. What your saying is unless you are consciously aware of something it can not exist. (eliminating the meaning of subconscious) I've caught myself countless times, realizing I wanted something to happen after it's happened. And even found I was hoping for something when I was certain I had an indifferent stance before.

Don't pretend you're some kind of psychologist. Seriously.

A qualified psychologist wouldn't say half the things I've said in this thread, though unless you're some sort of professional psychologist I find this statement to be more derogatory then responsive. And if that response makes it look as if I'm trying to be a wannabe shrink (Hmm no, I don't like them, they spout more crap then I do for a start) I've been doing it the whole time, while convincing myself that I'm only putting down my own thoughts.

*Sigh* I wonder if anyone can actually be bothered reading this and the last post? I sure can't. Anything I skipped is because I either agreed, was indifferent, or simply didn't understand.

Either way I'm leaving this thread, it's become completely derailed now as it pp retty much discusses "psychology" opposed to emo's. (Way to go admin xD jk) Plus I think I've thrown enough mud around the place and I figure I should hightail out of here before we all start calling eachother names.

#53 Tino

Tino

Omega Member

• Veterans
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Hmm well then you haven't heard of many people commenting about the issue then. Since I find that pity/sympathy is usually the first response people have when their told that someone they knew slit their wrist. I will however admit disgust is a notable reaction as well, but I find sympathy far out numbers it.

Perhaps the scenario is different in Japan, but from my own experiences, it disgusts people a lot more than it sympathizes them toward the person in question - that is, the person who slit his wrists.

It's also completely logical that disgust is the first reaction that comes up in a rational individual's mind. When you actually put that brain of yours to good use, you'll come to the conclusion that mankind doesn't like people who slit their wrists just because they hate the world. It's a life lesson that's taught to people from the moment they were born: live your life to the fullest. If people choose to destroy their lives by thinking about the world as if it's nothing but a bunch of crap, that's a problem of the people in question, and the other people don't give a shit about it.

Depressed does not equal emo, but emo often is associated with depression or other supposively negative ideas. So you've got it the other way around. Your later comment on periodic depression however is obviously correct though.

Which is exactly what I was saying. It's not depression that's associated with emo, it's emo that's associated with depression. Thanks for conceding my point.

So the act of suicide by one individual is equivalent to mass-murder? Hmm well considering the number of lives affected I have to disagree, and in return call you a "retard" for thinking that. And this is an extreme, but honestly comparing these two is stretching it a bit.

Different example then. A terrorist who's intention isn't to kill somebody, but to destroy a road so that transport over land becomes practically impossible. He does this by killing himself.

Firstly I never said "clearly" and uncertainty in sexual preference exists whether you think actions define everything. I personally know a person who is heterosexual but performed sexual acts with another of the same sex, during a small period after a break up. Does this make them bisexual, or is sexual preference something you can change everytime you get into bed?

That would make him bisexual indeed, which is clearly something else than the heterosexual which I mentioned in that paragraph.

An interesting remark, but an silly one nonetheless, there is no clear cut line between emo and non-emo. From your perspective an individual may be an emo, but from my perspective the same individual might not be. Unless you are saying there is some strong distinguishing point between an emo and a non-emo this argument falls apart.

If a person displays the characteristics of an emo, he's emo. If he doesn't, he's not. That has nothing to do with perspective at all.

Since the world is different for each of us, don't get this mixed up with me saying we all live on different planets. The thing is your experiences in life, your ideas and your surroundings may differ considerably from mine. From my perspective the world is a crappy place, and as for my life I'm doing what you normal people do, study, work, sleep, eat , etc. Just because I think the world sucks it doesn't mean I haven't experienced what you people consider "fun." I just don't consider most social practices as enjoyable.

No, the world isn't different for each of us. It's exactly the same. Emos or people who think of the world as crap simply don't look at it the right way.

The world is the way it is. FACT.

Emos look at the world in a different way, which displays their OPINION and doesn't mean the world is different for people. Their VIEW on the world is, which is an entirely distinct matter.

Yes it's the worlds problem it sucks

No, it's your problem that you think it sucks. Emphasis put on "think".

You seem to imply that I'm in some abnormal state of mind, and perhaps I am but I'm making the most out of my life while whining about it.

Perhaps you are, perhaps you aren't. I'm not going to tell you whether you're truly retarded or not. When I used the word "retard" or something similar in my previous post, it was only to strengthen my argument. Just wanted to get that clear.

Either way, if you're whining about your life, you're definitely not making the most out of it. Let's look at some atribtrary numbers.

When you don't whine about your life, you can get 100% out of it. When you do whine about your life, you can only get 15% out of it. Therefore, you can only live that 15% to its fullest, which is still only 15% of the possible 100%.

Though I'll point out thinking "nothing will change, so why bother" is actually rather sad. Otherwise your existence is questioned itself, will you change the world in some noticeable way? Or will the sun rise tomorrow regardless of whether you exist or not? Most likely the latter, so if your existence changes nothing why continue it?

I honestly can't tell what you're trying to say here, since you're punctuation and word order make it a confusing paragraph.

Hating oneself and hating another, I don't see much difference.

If you hate another individual, it's obviously more tempting to kill the other. If you just hate yourself, everything around you, and think you're worthless, you're going to kill yourself.

Killing yourself and killing another... Please, besides that both are murders, explain the similarities to me.

Hmm so your telling me that worthless, hope can not exist in an sub-concious form? I don't think my terminology is wrong at all. What your saying is unless you are consciously aware of something it can not exist. (eliminating the meaning of subconscious) I've caught myself countless times, realizing I wanted something to happen after it's happened. And even found I was hoping for something when I was certain I had an indifferent stance before.

What you're describing is when you were conscious of those feelings. When you're not conscious of your feelings, you can't do anything with them. We call this common sense. You don't even need to have learned anything about it to know this.

Also, what's that first sentence supposed to mean? Confusing sentence once again. Please use correct word order and don't omit any words, because it seems that's what you did here.

Either way I'm leaving this thread, it's become completely derailed now as it pp retty much discusses "psychology" opposed to emo's. (Way to go admin xD jk) Plus I think I've thrown enough mud around the place and I figure I should hightail out of here before we all start calling eachother names.

It's not derailed again. Where you get the idea from is beyond my knowledge. We're discussing the topic "emos" here, and we're actually doing so in good detail, which is the entire purpose of the whole Maturity Domain.

#54 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

Yay, this thread just got interesting again. Much kudos for that epic post Tino. Iagree with some of it and disagree with others, but it was interesting none the less.

Yes, you often can tell when people are gay. They often are dressed differently than heterosexual people, they are often friends with many more females than they are with males, the infamous "gay hand", and so on.

And the same applies to many other things. A person's looks and behavior can all be measured against various general symptoms of a certain orientation and can therefore be used to determine one's orientation. Granted, this doesn't always work out, but this can be applies the vast majority of the time to the vast majority of the people.

Most of this falls under superficial mannerisms designed to advertise that someone is gay (it helps when out looking for partners and such). WHen acting normally he or she is no different than everyone else.
Just like you can't tell a persons prefers blue unless he happenes to be wearinga lot of blue, you can't tell what gender he prefers.

lol at "symptons of an orientation".

As I already implied above, depression is never automatically associated with the emo culture.

It is in fact automatically associated in the minds of people due to the stereotype. Whether it is justified or not is up to debate.
I would say that a characteristic of emo is a bleak world view, and depressed people are more likely to gravitate to such groups.

Suicide bombers kill others as well as themselves, it's completely different than the suicide we're talking about.
I would personally think that killing yourself < killing others on the evil scale. After all suicide is only killing someone who wants to die. Murder is killing someone who doesn't.

No, Tino is definately right about this. Self-harm is a soial taboo, and the common reaction is "****-ing emo, I hope he cuts his neck next".
It really doesn't get you any sympathy.

Don't forget everyone has different lives. While indeed the world has many wonderful things and people, it's not wonderful to someone being put to the Inquisition.

#55 Tino

Tino

Omega Member

• Veterans
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Yay, this thread just got interesting again. Much kudos for that epic post Tino. I don't agrre with all of it, but it was interesting none the less.

You're welcome, dear.

WHen acting normally he or she is no different than everyone else.

They often are dressed differently than heterosexual people, they are often friends with many more females than they are with males, the infamous "gay hand", and so on.

You're basically coming with the same argument that I just countered. That's the worst counter you can even think of.

lol at "symptons of an orientation".

Sometimes my lack or vocabulary is annoying, yes. I suppose you get whay I meant, though?

It is in fact automatically associated in the minds of people due to the stereotype. Whether it is justified or not is up to debate.

As I said in my previous post to Aya-Tsuki, it's exactly the other way around. It's not depression that's associated with emo, it's emo that's associated with depression. Two completely different things.

I would personally think that killing yourself < killing others on the evil scale. After all suicide is only killing someone who wants to die. Murder is killing someone who doesn't.

Even though an individual might want to die, that doesn't mean it should be allowed that people can simply steal their own lives. Since that was my main point; taking one's lives is never just, even if the person in question is committing suicide because he's sick of his life.

#56 Leo

Leo

Gender Non-Conformist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

They often are dressed differently than heterosexual people, they are often friends with many more females than they are with males, the infamous "gay hand", and so on.

You're basically coming with the same argument that I just countered. That's the worst counter you can even think of.

Okay, perhaps I wasn't being clear enough. I am arguing that any superficial differences between people of different orientations except for their gender preferences, simply do not exist. These mannerisms are stereotypes in the mind of the beholder, much in the manner that black people in the last century were seen as having certain mannerisms.

Many LGB people do not feel they are defined by their sexuality, it is merely another aspect of them. It does not influence every discision they make, or their tastes. Indeed why should it? The only thing your orientation affects is you sexual preferences.

As for the examples you gave, they aren't true. The "gay hand" certainly does not exist in a serious manner (except perhaps when trying to freak out a straight guy or something). They do not dress any different, and their social circles are much the same as hetero people.
I'm speaking from experience of gay people I know.

Sometimes my lack or vocabulary is annoying, yes. I suppose you get whay I meant, though?

Ah, I apologise, I was not aware English was not your first language. "Sympton" is usually used in relation to a disease, and there are people who would purposely link homosexuality with a disease....>_>

As I said in my previous post to Aya-Tsuki, it's exactly the other way around. It's not depression that's associated with emo, it's emo that's associated with depression. Two completely different things.

I think understand what you mean, and I was actually agreeing with you.

Even though an individual might want to die, that doesn't mean it should be allowed that people can simply steal their own lives. Since that was my main point; taking one's lives is never just, even if the person in question is committing suicide because he's sick of his life.

Is there some value inherent in a life above and beyond the circmstance of the life? 'Cause I don't think there is. If a person is suffering, there is no point in extending it. Doing so makes no one happier.
The taking of life is justified if it increases the happiness in the world and decreases the suffering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users