Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

What languages do you speak and/or understand?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Location:My body lies in Georgia...but my mind lives in Arthias.
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:25 PM

- What's your native language? English

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? I can understand basic Japanese, but I can't write, read, or speak it. I can read, write, and somewhat understand Arabic.

- If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc. See previous. Lel

- What languages are you studying? Japanese

- What languages might you like to know? Latvian. I just love the way it sounds. Lol

"You'll never forgive me? Like I give a damn."
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
^ This isn't dead, I swear!
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

3DS Friend Code 0834 - 1057 - 3616

#42 acceptance

acceptance

to live is to accept

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:accepting things

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:26 AM

English mothafucka
Dave Grohl is rock and roll personified.

Actually a real smart genius man, but I'll never show it.

#43 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

Italiano ain't very practical soooo it kind of figures there's got to be a somewhat specific reason like "it's part of my heritage" or "I need it for a very specific job that requires Italian" or something as opposed to "oh it'd just be cool to know this language" or " a lot of people speak it so I think it'd be good to know" lol

Hey, it's still more practical than what I am learning. I speak one practical language, half-speak another language, and I am more fluent in two dead languages.

#44 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

you said something about latin though which is extremely practical to learn in that it will help with learning basicaly every other language that stemmed from latin(english, spanish, french, italian, etc.). 

#45 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

That is correct. The language is useful for learning other romance languages, yet the practicality of the language itself is limited.

#46 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

Except if you want to learn Romance languages faster, you should just start with one. Spanish is going to help with Italian about as much as Latin, except that it's easier (for English speakers, at least), so you'll get to start Italian sooner, and also you'll know a useful, modern language before you even start Italian. Though spending a little time on Esperanto might actually be beneficial. Some studies have shown that doing something like 3 months of Esperanto and then 9 months of French will have you more proficient in French than just 12 months of French.

Not saying you shouldn't learn Latin, of course. I'm learning Irish, after all.

?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#47 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

Except if you want to learn Romance languages faster, you should just start with one. Spanish is going to help with Italian about as much as Latin, except that it's easier (for English speakers, at least), so you'll get to start Italian sooner, and also you'll know a useful, modern language before you even start Italian. Though spending a little time on Esperanto might actually be beneficial. Some studies have shown that doing something like 3 months of Esperanto and then 9 months of French will have you more proficient in French than just 12 months of French.

Not saying you shouldn't learn Latin, of course. I'm learning Irish, after all.

I kind of agree with this, it seems like there's multiple ways to go about learning such languages and they're all more or less about equally as valid/efficient; as you said a certain mixture might be slightly more effective but it's not like learning Latin instead of Spanish is going to make learning French 2x as fast IMO, lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#48 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

Blazer and Rujio, you're right. It is possible to learn from taking Latin, except it is still faster to learn the other languages first. However, I didn't take the language to learn others. I took the language to read things like Cicero's orations, works of Virgil, and Ovid in their native language. It was also the only language I was interested in available at my school.

#49 Candy

Candy

Bishoujo Senshi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

- What's your native language? Bisaya

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? Tagalog, English and ( a little bit of ) Japanese

- If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc.

1. Bisaya - It's my native and first-learned language
  2. Tagalog - I can fluently speak and write since it is our national dialect.
  3. English - It is required as a means to converse internationally and in formal activities. Othersides than that, it is used as medium of different kinds of entertainment. NOTE: There are lot of my people on my country that sucks and try too much hard using this language to the point Taglish was invented.
  4. Japanese - I can understand but cannot speak since I get most from watching anime, of course.

- What languages are you studying? None at this moment.

- What languages might you like to know? Japanese ( expand my knowledge even more about this language ) and probably Germany.

BUSOG NAKO!!!!!!!!!!!! is all the Bisaya I know hahahahahahhahahahahhahahah oh but sagin too

- What's your native language? Australian English (it's a thing ok)

- Do you speak or understand any other languages? Japanese

- If so, how much: mastered (like, qualified-to-teach-it level), fluent in conversation, can talk but not read/write, can understand but not speak, etc. I would consider myself conversational and would do fine, I can read and write hiragana and katakana but only a few kanji. 

- What languages are you studying? noneeeee

- What languages might you like to know? Well I would like to master Japanese but I'd also like to learn German because I've got family history there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users