Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Suggest a Game Thread

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

I forgot about this XD Thanks to Blazer for reminding me.

http://www.igr.me/im.....cles/VC 3.jpg

Name: Valkyria Chronicles
Release Date: 2008
System: PS3
Prince: It's more or less 26 dollars here

So Valkyria Chronicles is a strategy/shooter game. It takes place in an alternate reality, the countries name is Europa (Europe in Spanish), and you are a soldier of Gallia, a small country locked the two superpowers, The Empire and the Federation. The country is a rich source in the equivalent to oil, and both of the superpowers want it as there own. However a war is started by The Empire, attacking the Federation. The empire also sends troops to Gallia and that's were the story begins. The story is told in cutscenes that happen between cutscenes, like fire emblem, and you choose which cutscene to watch from the book based menu. From the book menu, you can also go to the base, fight skirmishes and check out you units.

Most of your time playing is split into 3 parts, the actual battles, the field map (what you see above) and your base. Your base contains upgrades for your equipment and you can also spend the EXP you earn there. The field map is a small, detailed map (once you learn how to read it). It shows the position of your units (the blue icons) and the visible enemy ones (red icons). The yellow lines are lines of sight, meaning that they can see you/you can see them. From here you select a unit and are taken into the field, each unit is different from the others due to their special abilities, but they can all be split into 5 classes. Each unit costs one command point, the shield like icons at the top of the screen to move, except for tanks which cost 2. Then you are taken into the field and you control the unit you selected, moving a set distance determined by their class and some other factors.

Those are the basics of the game, the gameplay is awesome IMO, it's kinda a mix between fire emblem and a shooter. You have to think about different attack strategies, and each move counts since most maps have a turn limit. The story is really driven too, you can earn extra material to learn more about the characters and it's really beautiful as well. The art style is unique, I at least haven't seen something like it, it's almost like a moving drawing, the edges of the screen are colorless to show the paper, it's a really cool effect. The story is really good as well, it makes you care for the characters, even though some of the villans are a bit cliche XD.

All in all I think that if you liked the FE series you should try this game, it gives off the same feeling for me, and it's really fun smile.gif.

Comments to other stuff:
Mario and Luigi: I've played Mario and Luigi, just not partners in time. It was a really fun series, the best part was when they took your photo for the passport XD.
Batman: I've also played this, I did like it I just didn't fall in love with it like some people did. The combat was really the best part, it waas probably the most fluid non tales combat I've seen, I don't really count those because they take you somewhere else.
Might and Magic: NEver played it but it sounds interesting
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#42 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

@Snow your image was way too horizontally big--please double-check to see that it doesn't stretch the page. I've temporarily put it as a link, but I'd appreciate if you fixed it, please.

As for your suggestion, I've been meaning to try to play the game, but I haven't really had time and whatnot to get into it. I might watch a video or two and see what it's like first, IIRC there are a few games in that series as well so it's probably best I wait before tackling a new series entirely XD

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#43 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

So... since no one is really going, I guess I will just post mine. Also, I will probably be busy on the 21st.
user posted image
Chrono Trigger custom boxart by Ray Blade on vgboxart.

Name: Chrono Trigger
Systems: SNES, PSX, DS, Wii VC, PSN, iOS
Release Dates: August 22, 1995 (SNES); June 29, 2001 (PSX); November 25, 2008 (DS); May 16, 2011 (Wii VC); October 4, 2011 (PSN); December 9, 2011 (iOS)
Price Range: $26.99 (DS), $22.35 (PSX), $249.99 (SNES), $9.99 (iOS and PSN), 800 points ($8? Not sure)(Wii VC)

Comments: Earlier I said Batman Arkham City was one of my favorite games of all time. This game right here, Chrono Trigger, is my all time favorite game. I played it many, many years ago back in 1999 on my friend’s SNES, and I just finished a playthrough on my DS copy. It’s just as fun as I remember it. Chrono Trigger combines nostalgia, great gameplay, amazing sounds, and a captivating story to provide players with a timeless experience (see what I did there?).

I like to start off with the story, since the story is my personal number one reason to play any game. Chrono Trigger’s story is based on time travelling. This is storytelling at its most basic level, and the story is very archetypical. You’ve heard the story before. The heroes struggle to save the world and travel through time to do it. What you do in the past has consequences in the future. If you think of “Back to the Future” then you are not wrong. I’ve said this before, but the story is very basic. However, Chrono Trigger takes this theme and tells it VERY well. The story is not too complicated in its time travelling mechanics, yet tells its story in a way that makes us actually care about what is happening. It melds fantasy (wizards, monsters, magic) with science (machines and robots) and evokes feelings for all characters. I feel that this game is able to connect with an audience of any age. I personally find it rare that a game can bring in many factors together in harmony to become a timeless classic.

Next up are the graphics and sounds. The graphics are great. The artwork for the characters is amazing under Toriyama’s direction. The 2D sprite animation is among the best the SNES has to offer. In addition, the settings are unique and really help the player distinguish the era he or she is currently in.
The music. Oh the music. The soundtrack is my personal favorite for any game. It contains tracks that evoke sadness, joy, anxiety, fear, darkness, triumph, heroism, and epicness all in one. This game was (obviously) in the age without voice acting. Thus the music (and the dialogue) had to really pop out and give players that experience. Each character has his/her own unique theme that really gives them a “voice.” This soundtrack does not disappoint. In my opinion, the music is the best part of the game. It’s not every day that we can say the best reason to play a game is the soundtrack.

Finally, I present the gameplay. The battle system is a typical Active Turn-Based (ATB) system. One of the reasons that I love this system is the techs. Each player has his/her own techs as well as a double tech with every other character (except for you-know-who) as well as a triple tech. With this, pretty much every character has a use. The system is not complex at all. The simplicity of it is what makes it great, since it allows for a natural flow to all the battles. Chrono Trigger features a New Game + (it may be the first game to do so; I’m not sure so correct me if I’m wrong), which allows the player to receive a total of 13 different endings, depending on when the game is beaten. It does add some replay value and allows players to get more out of the game.

All in all, the game is a classic. This game just gets better and better every time I play it. The nostalgia never went away. It was the very first RPG I ever played, and it will probably be the last one I ever play as well.

My personal rating? 100/10. Nope that’s not a typo.

tl;dr - Go play Chrono Trigger. Now.

#44 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

Well, that makes it seem quite good. I've heard a lot of good for the game, but I've never given it a play; now, I'm tempted to.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#45 Albert Clare

Albert Clare

Sir Fluffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Yield to that Temptation as quickly as is possible.

#46 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

user posted image

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
System: 3DS
Price: Starting at 13$ used, probably around 40$ new if you can find a new copy and don't feel like getting it used
Videos: Trailer with some gameplay, Gameplay

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles is a pretty cool game, overall. After answering a short personality test, you are thrust into the feudal era of Japan to help various famous warlords in their military campaigns. Ultimately, your participation in these battles helps shape the course of the future of Japan.

Story-wise, there aren't too many specific details I can give away without spoiling things, but you're going to shadow some of Japan's historical heroes and villains and fight in historically-accurate battles on the front lines. If you're familiar with Japanese history and some of the characters from games such as Pokémon Conquest or Sengoku Basera (or some of the older Samurai Warriors games), then you'll see some familiar faces, such as Hideyoshi Toyotomi, Shingen Takeda, Ujiyasu Hōjō, Kenshin Uesugi, and even Nobunaga Oda, to name a few. In addition, there are a few downloadable "what-if" scenario maps, each providing interesting simulations of what a battle might be like under certain conditions, like if the Kanto Three put aside their differences and banded together to take down Nobunaga.

The gameplay of this game should be instantly familiar to anyone who's played a Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, or Sengoku Basera game before. Basically, you control (usually) 4 characters per battle, but you can only use one at a time. Specific to this game is the ability to choose which character to play as by tapping their portrait on the bottom screen to swap at any time, with the options to set specific targets for the other characters. In general, you'll be rushing towards one targeted location or enemy general or another, with the goal being to arrive or take the down or find an enemy spy or something as soon as possible.Littering the battlefield are countless nameless soldiers, who you can fight or ignore at your pleasure; it's usually better to ignore them, as they are very ineffective, but you can fight them if you want. However, if you don't have a mission going on, you usually prioritize fighting enemy priority targets, like named warriors or defense captains; beating the former awards you experience, health, new weapons, or gold that you can use to buy mounts and change your appearance, and besting the latter awards you smaller amounts of gold and the opening of the gate or door that they were guarding. Eventually, depending on the battlefield and the situation (you're on the offense, you're retaliating to a strike made on your retreating army, etc.), your main goal will be to demoralize the enemy to nullify their terrain advantage and beat their commander.

There's also quite a bit of replayability to be found in this game. Playing through a chapter that you already beat allows you to strike up a conversation with any of the characters besides yourself who participated in the battle. Conversing with a character nets you chances to better or worsen your relationship with them. If you max out a relationship with a character, you earn the ability to use them in any chapter that you already beat, regardless of whether or not they were in it by default. Having a maxed relationship with a character also allows you to unlock their fighting style/weapons from the store, effectively turning you into a clone of them in combat. A big part of the replayability, however, is the challenge. The early game especially can be punishing for players who choose to play chapters on a higher difficulty setting with inferior gear, as good gear is required for much of Normal mode and all of Hard mode. However, even upon getting great items and whatnot, enemies will still be big threats, with previously joke-status common soldiers each doing notable damage and knocking you back on hit. With good gear, perhaps you'll survive a minute longer, if that, unless your skills have improved; then the game becomes a truly tense warground.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoy this game, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes hack-and-slash games or Japanese history. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10.

Spoiler

#47 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

user posted image

Name: 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons 9 Doors
Release Date: 2009 (JP), 2010 (US)
System(s): NDS
Price Range: About 35 dollars S&H online. Don't even both trying to find it in store. They're almost only brought in on special order due to the extremely low quantity.

Comments: Let's start off: 999 (I'll be using this acronym for the entire comment) is not a game for everyone. Actually, it's less a game than it is as Visual Novel. But, even with its limited gameplay, it's by far my favourite game. Bar none. Now, I realize visual novels get a terrible reputation over the Pacific, mostly for the famed online adult nature of many of the popular ones. Let me start by saying that this has none of that. Well, it deserves its M rating, but not for any "sex" reasons.

(By the way, "Persons" is the right word. It's archaic for a countable plural of person. For example, there are 100 persons. If unknown though, it's "those people")

So, what type of gameplay DOES 999 have? Well, it's a puzzle game. But again, don't count on it too much. It's about 12 hours on this side (much less if you're smart about what to do and can do some mental math). And no real replay value in the puzzles (except to hunt down some really humorous quotes). But that's not why you're here. You'll play 999 for the story, the atmosphere, and the characters.

The story is, undoubtedly, top notch. Without any hesitation, it's the #1 story I've ever played through. You ask it, the game's probably got it. Suspense, thrilling elements, mystery...and yes, even comedy. Because of the isolated nature, your willing suspension of disbelief is almost on complete ignorance mode because of the captivating elements to it. There's a lot of excellent research to real life stuff, and most of it is accurate as a base. And it plays so many elements to such a unique degree. I'll admit, this is the first game in ages that I couldn't just "put down" when I played it.

And the music brings that atmosphere to a whole new level. There are so many lovely and memorable tracks here, I swear they make up about half of what I listen to. I wouldn't read the comments on YouTube for spoilers reasons, but look up pieces like Quietus (game over music) or Chill and Rigour. It's astounding how well they meld into the story. This combine with a dark room to play in creates an amazing experience. This is the only game I know if in the past few years which I've actually "bought into" emotionally. I legitimately cared for almost all the characters. When they die, I get sad. When the game wants to scare me, my heart jumps...and by the end, this was the only game in...well...nearly ever that I teared up while playing.

The world you'rr in feels so real because of the characters around you are deep. I can't say much about the story without spoiling any of it, but Kotaro Uchikoshi's vision was to build a game which played with perception. And by god did he do that well with the characters.

And the writing...what else can I say? It's perfect. The words feel like some played out by an actual college kid, maybe a little lower at times and a little higher at others, but very consistent overall. Some of the game is worth reading just to read the prose. And they do the best to immerse you too. When you see a (very slight spoiler. But seriously, you'll get to it in the first hour) dead body, the wording almost made me sick. And you don't even see it. It's just words. It's an achievement I honestly can't remember being beaten.

The game itself is not supreme in replay. It's a game with many endings, with alternate dialogue throughout the game to show your different paths. Again, I can't go much further without spoiling much, but you have to play the whole game. It's likely a 50-60 hour adventure if you really immerse yourself without knowing the routes to take. I've probably got 100+ hours now because I love the story that much. You almost need to play it twice through in full: once to get the story, then a second time for all the subtle hinting and implications.

999 frequently tops the top 10 lists of "NDS games you've likely never played". It won IGN's 2010 award for Best Story, being compared to and beating out Mass Effect 2, which was slated by many North Americans to win. It's more well known sequel (because they actually printed enough games this time), Virtue's Last Reward for the 3DS and PS Vita, holds a top 10 rating in both user and reviewer scores on Metacritic. And I consider Virtue's Last Reward to be the WORSE of the two games (to be fair, it's a better "game", but as a story telling, this is superior. Both are top 5 games ever for me though).

If there was ever an argument that video game was capable of art and could match up with film and literature as a respectable entertainment medium, 999 would be my submission for handheld games and probably my 2nd or 3rd answer overall. It's proof that games don't need action, don't need senseless sexualization, can handle advanced story telling, and can bring together a complete package. I honestly urge everybody to find a copy online and play through it if you can handle reading words instead of shooting bad guys. Buy an actual copy and play it, lights out, in a comfortable spot. And enjoy.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#48 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I've heard much good for that game, and I want to play it pretty badly. Problem is, I was too curious, and spoiled the whole thing for myself. From what I've seen, though, I have to second Kirant's recommendation.

Spoiler

#49 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hmm, I'm not into Japanese history but otherwise Samurai Warriors seems interesting enough XD

Chrono Trigger is amazing, it's like the definition of an amazing classic sleep.gif feel bad for the people who claim to enjoy video games yet haven't played it

"999: Nine Hours Nine Persons 9 Doors" seems a bit too scary and mysterious for me, I'm not too into that genre (and not a fan of M rated games in general), but eh, that's just me, it seems to have a decent reputation but I dunno... it'll probably stay as one of those DS games I've never played tongue.gif

Now since I totally forgot my day (the 17th) I must apologize and instead make my super long post now:

user posted image

Name: The World Ends With You
Release Date:

Nintendo DS
JP July 26, 2007
EU April 18, 2008
NA April 22, 2008
AUS April 24, 2008

iOS (iPhone/iPad) - World Wide August 27, 2012 (Note: This is known as "TWEWY - Solo Remix" and is technically not the game I am reviewing here as it has some new features, updated graphics, more/enhanced music, and significant gameplay changes).

System(s): Nintendo DS, iOS

Price Range: Probably around $20-$30 used, a lot more for new copies since the game is almost 5 years old now

Comments: 20/10. The game's amazing. A true gem. If it were old enough, it'd be a classic. It's unique, fun, addictive, enticing... it's got everything. A great story, great characters, great gameplay, great music, great controls, great challenge, great balance, great additional content... The flaws are so small and few that I honestly can't even think about any off the top of my head except that maybe one battle was a little bit of a pain in the butt in the Solo Remix, but that's about it.

Now, as for WHY I have this amazing opinion, let's get started:

First, the game's still selling at a pretty high price. The game might not have sold super well but I've never actually heard anyone who played the game say they didn't like it. I'm usually pretty skeptical about new games, especially when they have weird artwork and make me think they might be some typical Japanese RPG, but honestly I feel like an idiot that it took me as long as it did to find this game and play it. Anyhow, the game is one of those games that's either expensive or hard to find and that those who have played will almost always throw out a good word or two just out of respect for it (at least from my experience).

Now for the game itself. You control the main character, Neku Sakuraba, an emotionally distraught and... seemingly amnesiac kid of teenage age. You're immediately introduced into the game with some amazing aspects: for one, the intro theme is amazing, and the artwork is clearly unique from the get-go. You start by pressing a button to make a New Game (you can only have one save file on the game, but I'll explain why that isn't really a problem later), and it immediately takes off into an awesome animated cutscene.

Before we continue, keep in mind that this game was originally made for the DS (I'm speaking of the original, NOT the Solo Remix for the iOS here) and that there are two screens and that the bottom one is a touch screen used in conjunction with a stylus. This means that games for the DS were made to use the stylus and that the better incorporated the stylus and the controls were, the better the gameplay.

...Now back to the game:

"Outta my face.

You're blocking my view.

Shut up!!!

Stop talking.

Just go the hell away!!!

All the world needs is me.

I got my values,

so you can keep yours, alright?

I don't get people.

Never have.

Never will."

And so one of the most amazing intros ever commences, and you get introduced to a kid who has distanced himself from the world, keeping to himself, where everything else around him is... "noise". You start on a crosswalk... of a place called Shibuya, based on the real-life Shibuya, a place in Japan.

But don't let some preconceived negative connotations with Japan stop you from playing and enjoying this game. Neku is not your average emo protagonist: he's got no memories, and he wakes up in the middle of the street, getting attacked by these mysterious "Noise", put inside a game he knows little to nothing about, and finding a partner in this game he cares little about, seeking only to get out of the game and take care of himself. Already, there are many mysterious and problems in the story that need to be resolved, and the game takes off very quickly.

As for the actual gameplay, you can traverse the world of TWEWY, or rather, the streets of Shibuya, on the bottom screen, with dialog and other things happening on the top. You can interact with the people around you and/or listen to their thoughts with a mysterious "pin", which grants special abilities to its user. But pins can also be used to fight, and while I don't want to get into to the details, pins come in all colors and designs with lots of different abilities, strengths, and purposes, and it's an amazingly unique way of "equipping" the player, compared to the usual swords, magic, and guns of most other fighting games.

Now, I can't really say much of the music in text, but there's both instrumental and lyrical music in this game, and it's practically all amazing. The music is fitting, cultural (there are some songs in English, and some in Japanese, and having never really listened to JPop before, I liked both), etc., and it has one of the most amazing and well-received soundtracks of all time. I'll link you to a few: Calling is an iconic song, as is Twister (that one's a "gang-mix", or a male rap remix), and there's also songs without lyrics like most video games, such as Fighting for Freedom, a song that in my opinion really catches the essence of walking down the streets of Shibuya trying to win the Reaper's Game, and one's like Deja Vu which try to open up your eyes and make you lose yourself in the melody.

Going further on as to what makes the game great... okay, the artwork is unique, active, and generally pleasing, with great music, and it starts off strong, and has a great plot... but there's also character interactions, general mechanics, and the battle system. In TWEWY, you can not only feed your characters, but choose what clothing they wear, which works somewhat like armor in other games--but it's more casual here. There's tons of different items to equip as well as combinations, and what's more is that anyone can wear anything as long as they have enough "Bravery", a stat which measures how brave the character is. For instance, while only Shiki, a female, can wear a skirt to start with, even Neku can be forced to put one on if his bravery is high enough--and characters can increase stats like attack, defense, and bravery by eating food, which can only be eaten so much... in real-time[i].

Pins also have their own stats, and said stats increase the more you use pins and the better you do in battles. In general, the player is awarded a certain type of pin points depending on how well they play as well as other factors, such as how long one stays away from the game--that's right, one is actually awarded pin points to level up their pins when they quit the game and come back later. The game keeps track of how long it has been and awards you accordingly, up to 7 days, meaning that even when you're not playing the game, you're still made a little more progress upon coming back. Pins can also level-up, creating even more possibilities as to what pins can be obtained.

By the way, what ARE these pins? Why, they're [i]pins
, of course: here is a full sheet of some, and you can even find real-life ones--though that link just has a few of the many ones out there...

Moving on, TWEWY is very well-balanced, slowly teaching you more things, and always changing up the gameplay not only with new pins and gimmicks, but by giving you... well, I don't want to say too much or I'll be spoiling the game, but just trust me on this one: it keeps things pretty fresh. If the game is too hard or too easy for you, you can change not only the difficulty at any time, but even your own level--and decreasing your level may decrease your HP and thus survivability, but it will also net you a lot more drops, meaning more powerful pins and pins you can sell for money. With some pins having less than a 1% chance of being dropped, having a boost in the drop rate can be extremely helpful in getting those rare pins.

Now, for the gameplay... the battle system, one of the greatest parts of TWEWY.

TWEWY's battle system makes full use of the stylus AND the controls, allowing you to play as both you AND your partner in the game at ONCE. It's unique, it's well-made, and it's definitely challenging--perhaps even too challenging--such that if you aren't able to control both, the game allows you to let the AI control your partner. Of course, the AI is only there as a filler, meaning that it's much more beneficial to get used to the battle system so you can make full use of your partner and really do some teamwork--because yes, team work is essential to this game.

Let's get a screenshot to show what's up:

user posted image

First, the wolves: those are the noise. "Monsters", so to speak. They're called noise for a reason, which becomes more apparentN as you play the game and realize the depth in the story and its reflection of society and... just play the game >_<'

Now, those trucks on the TOP screen might just be part of a background, but that car on the bottom-left of the bottom screen isn't. You see, the character on the top screen, Shiki, is controlled with your arrow keys--you need to press the right arrow combinations to do combos with her. But at the same time, you need to control Neku on the bottom screen, fighting his own wolf--and one of the many abilities in this game allows you to actually drag the car with your stylus and smash it against the enemies... assuming you have the right pin.

You can't spam in this game, by the way. Pins let you use various psychs, which are like techniques, but they take time to "reboot" once they've been used a certain # of times. Some pins can't be used at the start of a battle, either, and each pin has their own activation mechanism: some require you to draw a line, others require you to press and hold the screen, some even require you to blow into the mic, draw shapes, or repeatedly click on enemies as they zip around the battle.

The gameplay is real-time, so it's intense, and it's fun. There's no playing this game and eating a sandwich or just smashing the "A" button over and over. In fact, if you're not careful, you can die pretty quickly: remember what I said about teamwork before? Another unique aspect of TWEWY is that HP is shared: your partner and you share the SAME HP bar, and when that green goes away, you're done for. In a way it's nice--even if your half of the HP bar is gone, you have your partners--but at the same time, it can go the other way, so you really have to think of the two characters as one entity.

Oh, and it might seem weird to be fighting two battles at once, but in actuality, the noise ALSO share HP. When you defeat one, you defeat the other: the two worlds are connected like so. Actually it's been a while since I played the original but I'm pretty sure this is how it works. I'll probably go play it again soon tongue.gif

Teamwork is also important in that later on in the game, you gain a "light puck", which lets you do a lot more damage if you can time your combos right. Whichever character has the light puck does more damage, and in passing the puck between each other, the damage multiplier can go from 2x all the way to 5x, until you're smashing lightning through the enemies and destroying them in a flash. There's also the pinnacle of teamwork, the Fusions, which unleash powerful attacks to all enemies on the map, useful for battles with lots of enemies and bosses alike.

Aaaand I think I've said enough about this game. There's no game quite like TWEWY except the Solo Remix, haha, and even then the Solo Remix has quite different gameplay so eh... tongue.gif

It's definitely a game I think most gamers should play. It's just too good. I've played a lot of games, and a lot of them were good. None captivate me as much as TWEWY though that also probably has to do with the fact that I relate to Neku a lot.

By the way, I haven't even covered everything. I've covered a LOT, but there's still more. So go experience it for yourself.

Go. Play it. If after one hour you regret it, you can PM me all about how I wasted your time and money. Yes, you can PM me. Without getting banned, ala the rules. tongue.gif

Play The World Ends With You.

user posted image

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#50 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Alright, I've heard of TWEWY and never thought much of it, outside of "that seems cool". Now, I'm considering trying it out, I suppose. Once I finish a game or two, that is. I can't play through 5 simultaneously like some people, let alone six!

Spoiler

#51 Albert Clare

Albert Clare

Sir Fluffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

user posted image
Title: Tales of the Abyss
Systems: PS2, 3DS (this Recommendation is based on the PS2 Edition)
Release Dates:
Japan: December 2005 (PS2), June 2011 (3DS)
North America: October 2006 (PS2), February 2012 (3DS)
Europe: November 2011 (3DS)

Price Range: ~$30 (3DS); the PS2 is out of Print, but can be found for around $30 on Ebay

Notes:
Tales, as a Series, has a much smaller following outside of Japan than some better-known RPG Franchises, but has been my favourite since I stumbled across Tales of Phantasia. They generally have Plots which play with and sometimes subvert your Expectations. Rather than Turn-based Systems, Battles take Place in Real-Time, and, in Tales of the Abyss, you are allowed a fairly broad Range of Motion once the "Free Run" Skill is unlocked.

With regards to Abyss itself, the Plot is very lengthily and quite engrossing, and, though the Hero, Luke, can be annoyingly whiny at first, he is greatly improved by the End. Other Characters you may not like terribly well at first show moderate to significant Development, which is one Reason I like the Series so well; it is difficult to say much more without a String of Spoilers.

The Game plays quite intuitively, and Difficulty may be changed at will; there are also abundant Sidequests, which are often unfortunately missable, though there are an Abundance of Guides which can help you avoid missing any. In Battle, Characters may perform standard Attacks with the "Attack Button" (X on the PS2), and also have Access to a Variety of Skills known as "Artes" by the "Arte Button" (Circle on the PS2); both may be varied by holding the Analogue Stick either Up, Down, or to the Right or Left. This System of Artes has been more-or-less standard throughout the Series.

Unique to Tales of the Abyss is the "Field of Fonons" left behind when an Elemental Arte, whether a fighting Technique or a "Fonic Arte" (essentially Magic), a Circle of a given elemental Alignment which, when fully charged, may Alter an Arte cast within it. This may Change, for Example, Luke's "Fang Blade" to "Lightning Tiger Blade" in a Wind- or Light-elemental Field of Fonons, or his "Guardian Field" to "Guardian Frost" in a Water- or Dark-elemental Field. Artes which alter only do so for one specific Elemental Field, though "Light" may be used to activate both Fire and Wind, and "Dark" for both Water and Earth (Artes altered by Field of Fonons can be Dark- or Light-elemental, but, bizarrely enough, the only one that is Dark-Elemental (Luke's "Shadow Fury"), is activated by Fire, and those which are Light-elemental are triggered by Wind or Light, as though they were Wind-elemental). It is far less-confusing and convoluted than this may make it sound when put into Practice, and works with both Weapon-based and Fonic Artes.

It is also worth noting that, unlike some Games in the Series, it is possible to play most any Player Character, even the Casters (who, in other Tales Titles, may be restricted simply to casting, which makes playing them rather a lot of waiting about doing nothing), making it very easy to switch if you grow weary of Luke and Guy. In the PS2 Edition, up to two Players may take Part in Battles (more probably can if you have a Means of attaching more Controllers), which can make for interesting Combinations of Field-of-Fonon (abbreviated as FoF in-Game) Changes (especially if you're using Tear and Anise, whose Light and Dark Fields can together alter anything that may be alterred).

Aesthetically, the Graphics are fairly good, though perhaps not the best in the Series, and the Character Designs do not have as much in the Way of gaudy Excess sometimes seen of RPG Characters; the Worldbuilding is quite consistent and thorough and meshes well with the Plot. Overall, this Game is very well put-together, though not perfect (but no Game is), and one of my very Favourites. I very strongly recommend it.

#52 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Played Tales of the Abyss for the PS2 and 3DS: it was alright, but the battle system was lacking to me, though the other Tales games may have spoiled me, and the game progression was somewhat slow and some of the plot points/characterization really bothered me... but overall it was a good game or else I wouldn't have played it again, haha.

Also, TWEWY is a must-buy. One of my greatest regrets in life was not playing it sooner. Seriously. >_>;

Lastly, I was supposed to do Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, but being the scrub I am, I totally forgot, and I'm not even going to bother this time.

Though I might throw in a bonus post on Ys at some point, I dunno, haha. (Seems like this is dying down a little, we might just call it quits and compile all the suggestions for fun and end it--maybe do it again in several months, during the summer or something, since I think it was at least a LITTLE fun... well, I thought it was fun, I got to reminisce about games I've played and then look into other series I've never played or even heard of. ohmy.gif)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#53 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Oy, I don't see a reason to shut this down. Get rid of the schedule as entries are less consistent, maybe, but this is a fine "I played x game and liked it and here's why" thread.

Spoiler

#54 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Mar 25 2013, 04:52 PM)
Oy, I don't see a reason to shut this down. Get rid of the schedule as entries are less consistent, maybe, but this is a fine "I played x game and liked it and here's why" thread.

I second this.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#55 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

Meh, it's not as fun for me, but I suppose you can do that. Lock the sign-up topic though: just let people post as they feel like it. (I kind of wanted people to get into the idea of "hey, I wonder what game is being suggested today?" thing, boosting activity slightly, as opposed to a just people-randomly-posting and people-randomly-checking thing, but if you guys like the latter, then it doesn't hurt. Just end the scheduling/close the topic.)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#56 Scrimsax

Scrimsax

The Skirmisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Time for me to do my submission only one day late too!

Name: Battle for Wesnoth
Release Date: None, constantly updated and re-released
Platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux

Price: Free. Completely and totally free

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Comments: This is extremely fitting given the nature of this forum... Battle for Wesnoth is a turn based strategy game, completely downloadable at wesnoth.org for free. It's a slightly more traditional strategy game than Fire Emblem. You command a leader unit who can recruit a wide variety of units from keeps that you both start at and are scattered throughout the map. These units then grow and level up as they fight. The entire game is based around a simple precept: keep it simple. It's easy to get into, though it had a nice tutorial for first time players.

The game is... too big to really comment on. In addition to the starting era, consisting of six faction and over 100 units, and the starting campaign set, which now includes around 16 basic campaigns, there is endless user made content. Wesnoth is a completely open source project, and with a bit of reading, anyone can make their own unit, faction, era or campaign. Some of these actually go above and beyond the official campaigns, like if someone was to hack a Fire Emblem game and do things beyond anything IS did Blazer and Arch. All the add-ons are downloadable right from an option in the main game menu.

Related to this is the two series of releases. The stable 1.(even number) releases, which is currently on 10. These are quality controlled, and get the majority of bigfixes and add-ons, and have the most community involvement. The 1.(odd number) releases, which are on 11, act as a sort of open-beta, where new campaigns and factions are tried and balanced for maingame use, and where new ideas are tried out.

Of course, beyond the thriving campaign scene, the default and various user made Eras can be used on the online multiplayer server, in massive pitched battles that encompass up to 8 players, intense duels between two rival, or groups of 5 using their preferred unit to complete sprawling RPG dungeons. The game has a lot of potential, and is a blast once you get into it. Hope everyone gives it a shot.

Quick List of Recommended Add-Ons:
Campaigns: Invasion of the Unknown, Legend of the Immortals
Eras: Era of Myths, Imperial Era
Maps: Labyrinth, anything by Bob_the_mighty

EDIT: Those picture came out a bit bigger than I expected. If any mods or admins think they're to big, feel free to remove them.

Master Moogle. Kupo.

#57 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

The name had me curious, but I have to say that from your writeup, I actually want to play this game! I'm gonna see if I can get it to run on one of my computers.

Spoiler

#58 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Big Image (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
user posted image

Name: Kid Icarus: Uprising
Release Date:
JP: March 22, 2012
NA: March 23, 2012
EU: March 23, 2012
AUS: March 29, 2012

System(s): 3DS

Price Range:
Gamestop:
$39.99 (New)
$29.99 (Used)

Comments: Pit, Nintendo's beloved angel, has finally returned after 25 years! I have to say this was truly a great game and was a great return of Pit after him being gone for so long.

Kid Icarus Uprising stars Pit (duh) as he ventures forth with the goddess Palutena to defeat Medusa after she has been resurrected. The plot for this game is actually pretty good and is much more interesting then the summary I just put up. I won't go into the plot much at all because then I would be spoiling things which I think will be better if you see them for yourself in the game. Now onto somewhat not plot related things the game has phenomenal writing. Every character that you meet throughout the story has great dialogue and you are able to see the personality of these characters (except for ones that barely get any dialogue) and the dialogue between the characters are very funny. The character's writing are also self-aware that they are in a game and make multiple jokes regarding to other games and just games in general. Overall the writing is fantastic and can draw practically into it and can make you like the characters, even ones that seem annoying at first. All the dialogue is voiced in this game and the voice acting is done really well, some voices you might question at first but you'll soon come to love them. (My only real problem with the voice acting is when Viridi yells the audio seems to burst a little)

Okay onto the gameplay. Controls are that you move Pit with the Circle pad and control the camera and reticle with the stylus and use R button to fire (The game explains the controls much better). There are two sections to the gameplay in this game. Each level in the game is sectioned off by chapters and each chapter has two parts. First there are the sky battle sections, Pit has been given the power of flight by Palutena but is only able to fly for 5 minutes (not really important but plays a art in the story and a couple chapters) and he flies around an on rails shooter section shooting enemies. This section is great as it is visually beautiful and is very fun to play and complements the controls of the game.
user posted image
The second section of the game is the land battle sections. This is what people have mixed feelings about in the game. The controls for the land battle section aren't good. They can give your hand cramps and sometimes the game might just have to much going on to keep up with. Though with these problems it definitely doesn't merit the flack this game gets with critics. Though you might get cramps you will get used to the way you need to play the game after about a chapter and then the game becomes much more enjoyable. Anyways in the land battle sections you run around as Pit through the areas going from room to room eventually reaching the boss. Now in the land battle sections there are some chapters which you have to move Pit precisely and to be frank the way Pit moves is just not suited for these type of sections and can even screw you over in a chapter if you really suck at them. At the end of every chapter there is a boss that you will fight and practically two thirds of them are easy as crap. Actually the entire game is very easy which is where the difficulty meter comes in. Before a chapter you can bet hearts two increase or decrease the difficulty of a chapter which can net you more hearts and better weapons and if you are playing on a high enough difficulty you will be able to pass through challenge doors in the lands sections which are doors that give you good items if complete them but you can only enter them if you are playing a difficulty that is the same number or higher than the number on the door. The differences in difficulty just gives the enemies more health and makes them attack more and do more damage but the game needs this fake difficulty because the game is pretty easy.
user posted image
Now also int the game is a variety of weapons and different weapon types each with their own attributes though some are very similar to others. Such as the blade weapons are very balanced in both range and melee, bows have very long range shots but not that good melee attacks. Orbitar shots get stronger as the travel further, and so on.

The game also has a multiplayer which features the land battle type of play and you can win good rewards through it if you do well in the matches. There are two types of modes Light vs Dark in which two teams of three fight each other and as team members on a team are defeated a life bar for their team goes down and when it is emptied the player that died when it emptied turns into Pit/Dark Pit and they are basically a super member and you win by defeating the Pit of the other team. Then there is Free for All which is self explanatory. Overall the multiplayer is done very well.

Overall I say this game is great and would give it a 9/10. Though the controls might detract some of the enjoyment the other charms of the game outshine it completely.

user posted image

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#59 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

user posted image

Name: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Release Date: 2012 (International Release)
System(s): 3DS
Price Range: About 30-40 dollars. Seems to be harder to find in stores, though generally pretty easy still.

Comments: Much like its predecessor (see my post on 999), Virtue's Last Reward isn't a game for those who like the sound of guns firing and beating up bad guys without really questioning why. It's, again, a Visual Novel game. But this game holds a wildly different tone. Despite that, it's breathtakingly amazing as a game.

Let's start again with gameplay. It's a puzzle game. And in this game, it's actually...well, a game. The puzzles are less obscure in nature and rely on actually thinking on some level of mental logic. A lot of power is put into the actual process of approaching the problem with the correct mindset and comprehending what you're looking at, not clicking around on "does [x] plus [y] work?". In addition, there's a hard and an easy mode to the game. On easy mode, you'll get help and hints as to exactly what to do, which lets you complete the game even if you aren't inclined to understanding these puzzles. In this sense, there is a lot of replay value, at least, until you get 100% completion...then there isn't anything to do.

Again though, the story is the highlight.

Without spoiling anything, the game can be described as getting really, really meta about choice and decision making. But, like 999, it's probably one of the Holy Grails in story telling. This time, you're in an exploration of characters...how they think, how they react...and more specifically, how they react differently. There are full nine endings to the game, each talking about a specific character and their traits. In each of these endings, you get a huge discussion of characters, which is often reminiscent of the first game, where perceptions are looked at in great detail (though this one gets an amusing subversion...which I, again, can't go into detail without spoiling stuff).

Music is absolutely lovely. I never thought they could come close to 999, but they do. It's not nearly as memorable, but some pieces will stand out forever in your mind. The standout here is "Blue Bird Lamentation". Again, avoid the comments for spoiler reasons. But this is one of the best standalone pieces I've ever heard once the context is made. Compared to 999, this won't drag you in as much, but it'll still be gripping and add to "buying into" scenes.

Writing? Top notch once again. Foreshadowing plays such a big role here that you need to read the story twice over. It's a work of art though. The words fit almost always. It's less colourful, so it doesn't stand out as much...but, again, the words of those who talk to you for foreshadowing are amazing.

The game itself is pretty long...probably you're going to play it twice. This adds up to about 60-80 hours to get everything and anything without guides.

As I mentioned before, Virtue's Last Reward cleaned up on handheld rewards pretty well. It was given 6 nominations on 5 websites and won 4 (and 1 not decided yet), all for storyline and overall quality. Much like 999, if I ever needed to prove that games are a mature field which can actually get past the age ghetto it's commonly given, Virtue's Last Reward would be on my first line of defence. It's basic social concepts and science interwoven into a world of story and active use of player choice.

If anybody's considering this and has also read my 999 review, here's a list of differences: 999 has a better story, cast, and is atmosphere oriented. It focuses on you enjoying the deep, dark world and the characters which populate it. Virtue's Last Reward is an exploration. You never really feel "at risk", but it asks you buy into the male lead, care about those around him, and take the fact that it's a game into account.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#60 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

lol those dungeon graphics really reminded me of Ys in the first one

Free game... if nothing else, it's tempting for that

Kid Icarus was a great game. I'm contemplating playing it again, which I rarely do given the general quantity of games I play. Or I'll at least go fool around on multiplayer or something. XP

Zero Escape seems okay but I'm not too into puzzles, I'd probably play easy mode. Most puzzle games tend to be like, annoying, repetitive, nonsensical, boring, etc. for me, so while it might be okay if it doesn't focus on puzzles, when most of the entire game is puzzles, it's like a downer. Also, the story seems a bit overwhelming from what you said--I can't be sure but if it's super text heavy and forces me to put a lot of effort into thinking into things and such, that can also be a sort of drainer. I like games where I feel like I progress quickly and the story has depth but not over-saturated with narration, dialog, and general plot points and details. Again, it's just a personal preference, I DO like my 3DS games so if it becomes cheaper I'd probably be up for trying it.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users