Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Golden Oldie?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FMZeth

FMZeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

Maybe that's presumptuous. I'm Zeth. I've been around the FE community since FE7 was new and FESS was a thing. Some of you might remember me? I dunno. Hopefully Fire Blazer does, that'd be a little embarrassing. Sort of fell out of things after FE11, since I sort of hated FE11, can't play things on the 3DS without getting a migraine (yes even with the 3D turned off) and just don't have the time or money to invest in a 2DS at this time.

I've been tooling around with some old tools and concepts, doing an itty bitty FE8 mod in my spare time for fun. It's mostly just a skin job and some class swapping because why not, but there were a couple more advanced things I'd like do and picked FEShrine largely because I see Fire Blazer and the modding/hacking part of the community is still active.

So yeah, hey.

zephiel_userbar_by_fmzeth.png

Still exists. Probably.

#2 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Maybe that's presumptuous. I'm Zeth. I've been around the FE community since FE7 was new and FESS was a thing.

...And now I feel old.  FESS wasn't even the first FE forum I took part it. 

The modding part of the community isn't really active here.  Blazer is typically busy and the only other active person here (I believe) who's working on something is myself...and that's mostly at a pace that's slower than glacial because life really isn't a thing in a graduate program.  And there's also the fact it's mostly just throwing out FE convention than actually making an FE game (ex - Swords now require high weapon level to use compared to their base stats, magic is nerfed heavily, the first Pegasus Knight you get is a flying brick wall...etc).

But still...welcome.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#3 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

Maybe that's presumptuous. I'm Zeth. I've been around the FE community since FE7 was new and FESS was a thing. Some of you might remember me? I dunno. Hopefully Fire Blazer does, that'd be a little embarrassing. Sort of fell out of things after FE11, since I sort of hated FE11, can't play things on the 3DS without getting a migraine (yes even with the 3D turned off) and just don't have the time or money to invest in a 2DS at this time.

I've been tooling around with some old tools and concepts, doing an itty bitty FE8 mod in my spare time for fun. It's mostly just a skin job and some class swapping because why not, but there were a couple more advanced things I'd like do and picked FEShrine largely because I see Fire Blazer and the modding/hacking part of the community is still active.

So yeah, hey.

Golden as in the golden age of Fire Emblem? bahahaha.

Welcome to the forums. Since FE7 was new? That's about as long as me then, lol. Oldie indeed. FESS is a little bit nostalgic too, though like Kirant it wasn't the first for me (and I was never particularly active on that or Grandbell). Sadly I don't remember you but I wouldn't take it personally since A) I just mentioned I wasn't very active on FESS and B) I have poor memory in general, lol.

I can understand disliking FE11, I think part of why I spent so much time hacking post-FE10 was because FE11 was a disappointment and FE12, though slightly better, still wasn't amazing (and didn't even come out in English), so yeah.

@Migraine that sounds lame, sorry to hear that. Glad I don't get headaches or anything myself ><;

Unfortunately though it's basically as Kirant said, the modding/hacking community died down a few years ago, especially on FES but just across the FE communities in general, so all that's really left are a bunch of people on Serenes Forest and FE Universe. That's not to say I'm not happy to see a new face, just feel like there's no point in being dishonest about the situation, haha. It is what it is, so if you choose to go somewhere else to get hacking help or anything, we won't feel bad at all lol, but regardless, take care.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#4 FMZeth

FMZeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:06 PM

Well, all things are relative--I had noticed the distinct lack of enthusiasm overall in the FE modding community. But yeah, the fact that the two of you responded already is noteworthy.

IIRC FESS wasnt my first FE forum either, but simply the first one Iwas active at. After it went down the tubes I actually moved over to FEU with the spriting community, but sort of got out of that because...frankly the FEU spriting community got really snobby and elitest and the friendly voices got drowned out by the condescending, snarky ones. My own forums were getting extremely active at the time and merged with Crystal Shards' Mercury Forums (which I also own now but is pretty dead), so, yeah, just sort of drifted away.

I agree about the wholesale dumping of FE conventions in the newer games, ftr. I havent gotten to play but I've read and watched videos and such, and the entire franchise feels very different. Mechanics aside, even the aesthetic feels more...I dunno, is anime the right word? Feels, more anime? t the risk of sounding obnoxiously hipster I think it feels very mainstream and not very unique anymore.

But anyway, yeah, things are slow, but that'a just how it is. Thanks for the hellos.

Still exists. Probably.

#5 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

you won't find anyone here who doesn't agree with you on fates being mainstream and not very unique. in fact the basic sentiment around here is that we wish fates had never happened. Awakening is a bit of a wildcard though in that some of what it did was pretty good, and the rest was kinda somewhere between "meh" and bad.

always nice to see a new(old) face. i'm relatively new in this community, so i def haven't met you before. But i'm always ready to have someone new to talk to. Here's to hoping we can get along ^_^

#6 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

I agree about the wholesale dumping of FE conventions in the newer games, ftr. I havent gotten to play but I've read and watched videos and such, and the entire franchise feels very different. Mechanics aside, even the aesthetic feels more...I dunno, is anime the right word? Feels, more anime? t the risk of sounding obnoxiously hipster I think it feels very mainstream and not very unique anymore.

SvnEOJj.png

Basically, no, it hasn't become more anime in any sense other than when anime is used to mean "Japan is so fucking stupid."

• GBA takes the cake for ridiculous stunts pulled in weapon animations.
  • FE10 is all about going crazy over the top with its magic animations.
  • The protagonist of the first game in the series is a young pretty boy (well from FE3 onwards at least) with blue hair.
  • We've had dragons that turn into little girls since ever.
  • There's been asian-looking aesthetics for certain classes at least since FE6.
  • Everybody knows about FE4 and incest. Clarine isn't exactly holding back with her obsession for Klein either.
  • Facial structures have become more realistic than before in the 3DS games.
  • My Unit is FE12's fault, and overcentralization on the customized player character is something WRPGs are better known for.

I wouldn't really say it's become more mainstream either, not because it didn't, but because I think it's better to say that it's become further low-brow entertainment. You don't get something like breastplates with cleavage because it's being more "anime", you get that because it's trying to appeal to more base desires in people. It's not as important to think about how to play the game when you have grinding options and casual mode to avoid permanent deaths. Completely ridiculous excuses are used to add offspring characters in Fates for the fulfillment of shippers. Wacky dialogue just feels more instantly gratifying for modern people who go into it without expecting serious business. So and so on. It's become entry-level to more people than it was before.

I don't think Fire Emblem has ever really been unique, once you get down to it it's basically been a generic fantasy setting that doesn't go very far with anything like worldbuilding that just so happens to have anime artstyle characters in it. The gameplay has been rather simple throughout until Fates happened. At some point they just threw out concern for keeping the atmosphere you could take seriously from it.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#7 FMZeth

FMZeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Mm. I mean your points are all very valid but I dont think I agree with most of it. I DO agree that anime influence isnt the driving reason behind most of the aesthetic changes and rather it's an appeal to "base desires", but Iwould still sort of say it is becoming more anime-like as an example of convergent evolution. FE wants to appeal to more base audiences to expand its playerbase, anime wants to expand its viewerbase, undergoes a similar process, we end up with a lot of overlapping tropes and cliches. Bats and pterodactyls.

It's true we've had little girls turning into dragon monsters and incestuous arcs forever; wont deny that. FE, being a Japanese product, has always had that culture's influence will be seen. In contrast though, I disagree that the setting has always been generic, basic fantasy and that trend is continuing. No, I LOVED the political pageantry and character arcs that existed in the games featuring Roy, Eliwood and Ike. The setting was a very broken, low fantasy in many instances (see Canas's reference to the uneducates masses misunderstanding that "dark or elder magic" are the forces like gravity and nuclear force that helped to form the world). Nowadays that is less true (fair is fair, FE8 was very weak in this regard despite being between my favourite titles).

As far as facial realism: I dont see that having a great deal to do with it. Animes have developed some very realistic looking styles as well.

But in any case, I'm not here too argue. We can agree to disagree. :]

Still exists. Probably.

#8 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

I thought political pageantry was a pretty normal thing to have in fantasy worlds.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#9 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi! Wow, FESS. Brings back memories.

Sort of fell out of things after FE11, since I sort of hated FE11,

Yeah, that game was largely hit-or-miss. Poor old game hasn't aged well. Might I recommend to you the fan translation of FE12, if you have any way to emulate DS games? That was the game they should have brought over, IMO. Not Shadow Dragon. <_<

can't play things on the 3DS without getting a migraine (yes even with the 3D turned off) and just don't have the time or money to invest in a 2DS at this time.

Are you by any chance photophobic? (That is, light hurts your eyes) I am slightly photophobic so staring at screens that are too bright will eventually give me a migraine. I keep my 3DS on the lowest light setting, and have the automatic light adjustment on so that it darkens itself in darker environments. (...That might be a N!3DS thing, though...)

you won't find anyone here who doesn't agree with you on fates being mainstream and not very unique. in fact the basic sentiment around here is that we wish fates had never happened.

This. It's gotten to the point where we might as well be the Anti-Fates Club. XD There were a few nice things about the game, but most of us are pretty meh about it. If only because we're long-time FE fans and know exactly how far the series has fallen. >_> (And I was honestly fine with Fates until I played Revelation, so yeah.)

But in any case, I'm not here too argue. We can agree to disagree. :]

The good thing about this place is that people can calmly disagree on things and it will almost never degrade into a flame war. I've actually found it a bit shocking the amount of disagreements on controversial topics that we can have around here without triggering someone. lol That's not to say that cut-throat arguments never happen, it's just that it's EXTREMELY rare. In all the time I've been here (maybe about a year?) I've only seen one thing go down into the flame war category. lol

IUfb9Eg.png

#10 FMZeth

FMZeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Mm, no photophobia here. In fact a lot of my day to day life involves staring at various screens and I enjoy a nice, bright backlight.

I'm pretty sure I hae most emulators known to humankind at this point, so maybe I will give that FE12 fanslation a try at some point.

Still exists. Probably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users