Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Sensitive Subjects in Media

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:53 AM

Warning: Incoherent ranting made below while I'm not thinking straight. May have had something bad or stupid, I apologize in advance.

As an intro to this discussion, pretty much, people constantly blow their fuse or whatever over stuff in games, like boob armor, inaccurate representations of characters, making females too weak/reliant on males or males too generic/strong or whatever, homosexual marriages, etc., and I'm sick of people whining about it and acting like they're entitled to have their ideals or concept of "social justice" be implemented in games... or other media, even. The short version is that I think at least in games, developers are free to do what they want and what they like and have no obligation to cater to the needs of anyone. If something is offensive and they choose for it to be that way, so be it.

Maybe that's the point? Maybe it's a representation of the times, the setting, the era, or the individual characters? Like can you blame a game for having all male characters if that's just how it is, how it turned out? Do they have to shoehorn in female characters, or shoehorn in homosexual relationships (or hypothetically the other way around, if there were a game with only homo relationships) in a game that they didn't intend to have it, that wasn't planned/designed/conceptualized that way? I say no, that's stupid, why should they have to do it? "Realism"? Not offending people? Please. Video games usually aren't trying to be accurate depictions of the real world (even if their graphics are sometimes a bit realistic) and the real world is cruel and harsh and offensive anyway. If you don't like a concept or something, simply don't buy it. Don't act like anyone has the obligation to cater to you or your ideas or whatever because that's stupid and naive. If you want to complain that it lacks X or Y fine but being so petty and pathetic about it is dumb in its own way, and that's probably something you should keep to yourself. I mean I'll admit I do have certain expectations for games (those set with precedence) and similarly I do expect them to cater to me because of that, because that's the whole point of creating a series/franchise, to give it an identity, and I think hurting that identity is something else. But in the case of a game simply trying to do something and not caring to touch on X or Y, they have no obligation to touch on those subjects if they don't want to. They don't have any obligation to touch on it in a realistic manner either if they don't so choose.

Let me be a little bit specific by bringing in Fire Emblem. I don't consider the way relationships work in Awakening very realistic, but that's how they choose to do it. 3 conversations/small events and a marriage one. Lots of possibilities. FEFates recently had same-sex marriages confirmed. OK, that's their choice. Whatever, but the problem I have is when people say "oh it's only 2 people" or something like that. People act like everyone needs to swing both ways or they won't be content because it's not flexible enough in catering to people's needs. That's offensive to the creators and the characters they made because this isn't some kind of total joke, it's not a waifu/husbando simulator yet, even if it's dang close.

Think of it this way: every character is their own. That includes who they want to talk to and build relationships with, how they feel, etc., and as it is it's already open-ended enough that the main character can... elope with most characters, now you want everyone to be like that? I mean if the devs decide to do that of their own volition because that's what they envision for the characters, it's that kind of world, fine. But expecting them to do that, expecting "Nintendo" to keep trying to fit in X or Y because that's what people want is silly. They have no obligation to do anything. If you don't like it, that's fine, and you can show that by not supporting their stuff or whatever, Likewise, I could be immature, turn around, and say "it's dumb that the game's characters are such sluts I wish they'd make everyone straight", you see hate can go both ways, thinking you can always include everyone or expecting people to be included or whatever is silly, I'm intelligent enough to realize that I have some things in my tastes that make me not like certain things and in that case I don't throw a fit over it I just deal with it because I know it's up to the devs to do what they want and I don't blame them for trying to cater to the majority or thinking like the majority or thinking however they like.

Well it's not quite that simple but yeah just a bit frustrated at how pushy people can be and how entitled they act. I get you want representation and inclusion but it gets so blown up. it's not about homo hate or whatever, it's about being reasonable and respecting other people and if people act that way they're not going to get my respect, they're going to build up an identity for themselves as annoying.

-----------------

[Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:35 PM] ballin1337: I know about same sex marriage, what bothers me is that people will just NOT shut the **** up
llike oh my gosh they gave you it now
but oh no, there's not enough options!
[Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:36 PM] ballin1337: they don't have ANY obligation to make you guys happy, it's their characters and their world, they can do WHATEVER THEY WANT
[Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:37 PM] ballin1337: IT'S UP TO THEM, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT, THEY DON'T NEED TO MAKE SOCIAL COMMENTARY OR APPEASE PEOPLE OR WHATEVER
if you want to make a game that is racist
if you want to make a game that is sexist
if you want to make a game with boob armor, or super macho men, that isn't realistic
if you want to make a game with weak female characters and gary stu male characters
that is ALL UP TO YOU, YOU CAN DO IT
PEOPLE NEED TO DISTINGUISH REALITY FROM VIDEO GAMES
EVEN IF IT'S STUPID, EVEN IF IT'S NOT REALISTIC, EVEN IF IT'S INSULTING, IT'S ALL OK
THE REAL WORLD IS STUPID. THE REAL WORLD IS INSULTING. STOP TRYING TO FORCE YOUR IDEALS INTO EVERYTHING BECAUSE THE WORLD ISN'T YOUR IDEALS AND IT'S STUPID TO THINK PEOPLE SHOULD TRY TO ADHERE TO THEM
it's nice when people do or whatever, I'm all for respecting others and stuff, but my gosh complaining about stuff like that just comes off as so petty
it's one thing if a game is actively trying to insult people or make negative social commentary
but did you maybe think that people are just not caring, they're just doing what they want to? not everyone can be so super sensitive to try to appeal to everyone, that fundamentally speaking, not everyone can be happy in the first place?
a lot of game devs are just trying to have fun. all this social inclusion and justice stuff is crap not because it doesn't matter but they're targeting the wrong things
if you think everyone has an obligation to be sensitive about that and not try to offend everyone, you're fucking wrong
it's your job to avoid stuff if you don't like it and you think it's offensive
[Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:42 PM] ballin1337: there are a certain things I don't like in video games and I just avoid it I don't go saying you should change it
[Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:42 PM] ballin1337: nor am I whining and saying "no buy from me!" that's stupid no one ****ing cares
[Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:44 PM] ballin1337: is Splatoon offensive to sea creatures? should the marinal life society be taking up arms due to the inaccurate representation of squids or something?
[Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:46 PM] ballin1337: I don't really care that it's in I don't have anything against homo people
it's the devs choice
whether they include it or not
I'll tell you straight up I don't want ANY kind of marriage
lol

tl;dr

if people make a game on e way or another, that's up to them, and sure, including more people is nice, but if they don't do it that's their choice and if they make less money because of it, so be it.

complaining is cool until you make yourself look worse than the people you're complaining about.

also on an unrelated note, I want to say the people losing their crap about same-sex relationships being IN are also kind of dumb, because likewise as they have the right to not include them, they have the right to include them.

whether these kinds of relationships the way they are executed and portrayed in FE is fitting for the series, setting, and style of game in general, is a different topic IMO

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

Yeah I pretty much agree with you that people need to stop complaining when something isn't 100% compatible with their ideals. I mean if something is offensive or portrays something extremely wrong, then yes it's ok to complain, but complaining because it wasn't portrayed at all is very... self centered I guess. The fact that people also listen to them just gets me even angrier, like just because they're complaining they have to be right, no one ever complains about things that aren't real problems.

On another note, since this is about media in general... Isn't it the point of things like video games, movies and literature to show you some new story that can get you thinking? Wouldn't it help this purpose if the world didn't have the same ideals as you? If you basically read something that followed all the pretty little rules about everything, you'd probably stop reading/watching/playing after an hour or two. The things that surprise you are the ones that really hold on to you, and the things that get you to see the world in a different light (in other words, that show it in a different light) are the ones that are worth experiencing, why would you want to get rid of that?

I really don't get why people complain about this :mellow:

Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#3 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:13 PM

I think that the personal opinions of the people playing should only determine who plays the game rather than what the developers can do. Yes the relationship between player and developer is dynamic, and the devs have to listen to what the players say or risk losing their jobs. But on the same token the players need to make the choice to play or not. Basically if you don't like it don't play. If you really feel the need to complain go to the developers, right a review, or maybe keep it amongst people who also want to complain. I'm fine if a large group wants to complain about something as long as i don't have to hear about it constantly.

I think that for the story of a game to be truly interesting it has to be outside of reality, or break/satirize/point out the flaws of reality. The world of Fire emblem exists outside of reality, so to even consider its problems and the problems of the real world in the same thought is ridiculous to begin with. But since we're doing it anyway, to think that someone wants every character to be bisexual is really annoying. Those people need to stop bitching for a second and realize that not every person in the world wants to shack up with every other person in the world. Individuals have preferences, and the same should be said for video game characters to retain any level of realism.

Now that I'm done with that: why does it matter? It really looks like people are doing as deep as they can to complain about this game.I'm just happy that we are getting another game in a this far great series. There's no reason to expect fates won't be a good game, and to complain about something as petty as this doesn't do anyone any good. To summarize, people need to shut up and put their big boy pants on.

#4 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

I pretty much totally agree with both of you

I think that the personal opinions of the people playing should only determine who plays the game rather than what the developers can do. Yes the relationship between player and developer is dynamic, and the devs have to listen to what the players say or risk losing their jobs. But on the same token the players need to make the choice to play or not. Basically if you don't like it don't play. If you really feel the need to complain go to the developers, right a review, or maybe keep it amongst people who also want to complain. I'm fine if a large group wants to complain about something as long as i don't have to hear about it constantly.

I think that for the story of a game to be truly interesting it has to be outside of reality, or break/satirize/point out the flaws of reality. The world of Fire emblem exists outside of reality, so to even consider its problems and the problems of the real world in the same thought is ridiculous to begin with. But since we're doing it anyway, to think that someone wants every character to be bisexual is really annoying. Those people need to stop bitching for a second and realize that not every person in the world wants to shack up with every other person in the world. Individuals have preferences, and the same should be said for video game characters to retain any level of realism.

Now that I'm done with that: why does it matter? It really looks like people are doing as deep as they can to complain about this game.I'm just happy that we are getting another game in a this far great series. There's no reason to expect fates won't be a good game, and to complain about something as petty as this doesn't do anyone any good. To summarize, people need to shut up and put their big boy pants on.

I really agree with the first sentence and then your follow-up is also accurate. But also a game that tries to do everything will often fail to do those things really well, or fail to really do anything at all. personally I'm a fan of restricted game design because in trying not to do a ton of things you can really flesh out a certain good idea or two and take them to the max. though this is a bit off from my original point, I feel like it applies somehow.

yeah kind of what you said, I think wanting the game to be as open as possible isn't just a matter off coding it's like, changing the characters identities and stuff as well, and again if a devchooses to do that fine but I don't think people should be restricted in making their characters X or Y just to appease people. I mean video games have villains and villains usually aren't idealistic, they're evil. if it were the other way around I'd say the same. if the devs wanted a game where anyone could have a relationship with anyone, or relaitonships were of the same gender only, and that was their idea, and that was the precedence they set and that's what fit in their story and setting, then I don't think it'd be fair to push for them to be straight or something just so straight people can relate, like games can't be inherently inclusive and in the case of FE it is not a matchmaking game, it is not a waifu simulator, not yet anyway, you are creating YOUR character, sure, so I get giving your character the option to be one way or another, but you can't expect everyone else in the game to feel/be the same just so you can have girlxgirl action with your female avatar and any other girl in the game, that's stupid, I mean most people's identities are at least a little defined by how they act around other genders/how they feel etc., I just think it's a little unreasonable to expect everyone to be open

and in other examples, there's being upset that girls have boob armor because it's not realistic... if they're not trying to be realistic, then is that really a problem? look at what they are trying to do. if they are TRYING to be realistic and do that, and they're clear about that, then yes, that's a problem just because it fails to be very "realistic". if you don't like it, I totally get that, but then you know what to do, and it doesn't involve pouting/throwing a fit. complaining is cool, I complain a lot, there's just ways to go about that without being irritating to others

---------

I think the FE comm is super polarized, people seem to either really like it or really dislike it but it seems like more people like it, presumably because the group of new FE fans (due to Awakening) have much louder voices than the old ones, and for them to have liked Awakening a lot they likely enjoyed the marriage/children/blushing/fan service stuff, so yeah, those elements of this game appeal to them. so I guess it seems like most people like it/are hyped, but it really depends on what you're looking for in the game. for me the game doesn't seem to have that which I like, but I've said a lot on that and I'm trying it and giving it a chance and judging it for myself since I think it'd kind of be rude not to give IS another chance when they're clearly trying a bit (that and I'm a big FE fan so I feel a bit more obligated, I get if other people have limited money and time and don't want to give it a chance, you can't give every game a chance after all)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#5 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:15 PM

IS THAT A WALL OF TEXT? I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE

The fact that people also listen to them just gets me even angrier, like just because they're complaining they have to be right, no one ever complains about things that aren't real problems.

It's the idea that humans are entitled to happiness that gets people to see it as a real problem. I personally find it a large inconvenience, but since I don't believe humans deserve to be happy for being of the species they are, it's very easy for me to deal with it for the most part.

On another note, since this is about media in general... Isn't it the point of things like video games, movies and literature to show you some new story that can get you thinking?

No, that's a very specific kind of art. The vast majority of the time the mediums themselves are used by those interested in selling you something designed to be low-brow entertainment, with no regard to how overdone it is.

If you basically read something that followed all the pretty little rules about everything, you'd probably stop reading/watching/playing after an hour or two.

I think something like that existing in itself would be an incredible surprise. Think of all the contradictions in what people's ideas of what the rules are they would have to account for.

The things that surprise you are the ones that really hold on to you, and the things that get you to see the world in a different light (in other words, that show it in a different light) are the ones that are worth experiencing, why would you want to get rid of that?

Fiction almost never gets anyone to see the world in a different light. Humans tend to trivialize its effects on them for this reason. (Oh man, chicken and egg situation right there.)

What surprises someone is also entirely relevant to exposure. I personally found Kirito of Sword Art Online extremely surprising and intriguing. Doesn't stop him from being constantly derided as cliche and characterless and so on.

I think that the personal opinions of the people playing should only determine who plays the game rather than what the developers can do. Yes the relationship between player and developer is dynamic, and the devs have to listen to what the players say or risk losing their jobs. But on the same token the players need to make the choice to play or not. Basically if you don't like it don't play. If you really feel the need to complain go to the developers, write a review, or maybe keep it amongst people who also want to complain. I'm fine if a large group wants to complain about something as long as i don't have to hear about it constantly.

Consider this:

"If you don't want to hear about it constantly, don't go to places where they complain."

What's that? It keeps showing up on your frequently visited tumblrs? They keep sharing it over your twitter feed (or however that thing works)? It keeps showing up at Serenes or Reddit which are pretty much the only obvious places to discuss this game? Then don't go on tumblr, twitter, reddit, serenes, whatever.

"But I want to go to those places for all kinds of other stuff" Then,

shut up and put your big boy pants on.

The reason people get pissed over this is for the same reason anything I just mentioned above would be seen as provocation(which it is), it's because they feel excluded and invalidated. (There are other reasons, such as trolling, or wanting to forge a morally upright reputation, but those people don't really care about the game in the way the people genuinely complaining do.) Fire Emblem gets a lot of these people because its support system naturally invites shippers, who are basically all about taking characters(including real people, such as celebrities and siblings) and warping them into what they want them to be. FE13-14 also invites the kinds of people who waifu/husbando characters for themselves via My Unit(who pretty much are still shippers, they just involve themselves in a more explicit way), and then there's all those other gamers who may be invited or not but showed up anyway.

Are they being reasonable about it? Hell no. I don't think most people who want change are, and the ones that are usually don't get anything substantial going. Doesn't stop them from being understandable.

But wait, why is it being presented in a way that claims things should? Why not just complain because preferences aren't being met? Because people want to be righteous. It makes things feel so much more important. It makes them feel justified. They don't want to be just that guy who doesn't really have a reason beyond bias when the topic pokes at hot subjects, who can't do anything but just essentially say "I am disappoint." They want to think "objective" and oftentimes, political. "We aren't entitled, we just want what's good for the people!" (Oh yeah, definitely political.) It doesn't have to be a conscious way of framing their opinion, it's just what they find immediately suitable for the environment they expect to be in. Very few people care about listening to someone expressing themselves, so to get anyone listening they should involve others' benefit to have it become meaningful. It also tends to be a lot easier to get agreement following when framed this way because other people want to get in on the "We are in the right!" opportunity too, essentially strengthening the sentiment. (On that note, "objective writing quality" is essentially structured in the same way as this, so it counts in the same way when used as their frame for why it should.)

complaining is cool until you make yourself look worse than the people you're complaining about.

All victims that bother to say something emotionally look like that, regardless of the legitimacy and severity of whatever it is they have to go through. Consider how internet trolls are respected when they're "good at it" while the people who "fall for the bait" are seen as pathetic. You can apply that kind of view to almost any aggressor and victim/counter-aggressor relationship that remains relevant. You can apply it to social justice warriors and people that feel similarly but don't want to be associated with social justice warriors. You can apply it to competitive trash talkers and scrubs. You can apply it to slave owners and slaves. You can apply it to rapists and rape victims. You can apply it to any minority's outcry from the discomfort of dealing with how the majority restricts them. You can apply it to any majority's discomfort of putting up with the minority. I could make parallels(inb4 semantics) all day.

Maybe that's the point? Maybe it's a representation of the times, the setting, the era, or the individual characters? Like can you blame a game for having all male characters if that's just how it is, how it turned out? Do they have to shoehorn in female characters, or shoehorn in homosexual relationships (or hypothetically the other way around, if there were a game with only homo relationships) in a game that they didn't intend to have it, that wasn't planned/designed/conceptualized that way? I say no, that's stupid, why should they have to do it? "Realism"? Not offending people? Please. Video games usually aren't trying to be accurate depictions of the real world (even if their graphics are sometimes a bit realistic) and the real world is cruel and harsh and offensive anyway. If you don't like a concept or something, simply don't buy it. Don't act like anyone has the obligation to cater to you or your ideas or whatever because that's stupid and naive. If you want to complain that it lacks X or Y fine but being so petty and pathetic about it is dumb in its own way, and that's probably something you should keep to yourself.

One thing I want to point out: The realism thing is taken seriously by literary critics, while the not offending people thing is more of a tool for them to bitch moar, whereas the not offending people thing is taken seriously by the people who actually want it, while realism is more of a tool for them to sound like they're worth listening to. The former are complete assholes sophisticated mature cultured intellectuals who have high tastes. The latter are escapists who have to deal with the issue of not having anywhere remotely as much going for their needs than the market's majority.

Keyword: Escapist.

Minorities(and women) tend to know very well that the real world is, in Blazer's words, cruel, harsh, and offensive. But no matter how powerless they feel about their lives, and envious of others' easier ones, they never feel like giving into despair(outside of the ones who commit suicide, although suicide in itself can be seen as a hopeful option), because this is themselves for all of their life we're talking about here. They either want to die or want to find a reason to keep going on, which gives them a significantly higher incentive for indulging themselves in fictional wish fulfillment. What can they do for their lives? "Oh, but they just need to WORK HARD AND PEOPLE WILL RESPECT THEM!!" Well Asian doctorlawyers aren't keeping away negative discrimination from me, so I call bullshit on that. Even if it does work, it will probably take far too long to seem like it's really worth fighting for. So what's mainly left for them are high-risk clandestine compromise, or low-risk enjoyment away from the social order.

So when luxury items like entertainment frequently fail to give them someone they can identify with, to some level it feels like they have been betrayed. This is especially evident in the United States, where (the relevant) people at least have enough security in their lives for things like gay parades to happen and for anyone to even show group outrage at all for when African-americans are being discriminated against and so on. Because there's something they actually can put their hopes into, because they've been told and encouraged to make a difference, because what the country promised them via culture and history gave them these specific kinds of expectations that went far beyond what humans around them are actually equipped to tolerate. Also because of the internet for anyone who is in one of the more...traditional states.

"We were given the right to pursue happiness, and yet, not even our favored fantasy given form would provide for us as they do for those further privileged than we."

Why do they not back down? Why do they not know their place? Why do they continue to fruitlessly express their dissatisfaction? Because they were told they could make a difference. And even should that be an illusion alone when they fight with words rather than arms, they at least have that small hope to continue clinging on. It's either that or that they put up with adaptive preferences, the mature way of doing things (which, as I've mentioned before, ties into how maturity is about submission.)

As one of the minorities myself(not the Asian thing, that doesn't come with too many problems, I mean having to put up with shit like this when I'm not even gay or transsexual), I can't really sincerely say anyone should be kept from even the luxury of complaining on the internet, no matter how wretched they look doing it. I mean guys, it's the internet. There's a reason so many people that hate dealing with social consequences otherwise come over, it's one of the few ways the emotionally sensitive can deal with avoiding completely ending up like this. That won't stop me from hating on them for being annoying as fuck but I hate pretty much everything that I can't dehumanize so eh.

I think the FE comm is super polarized, people seem to either really like it or really dislike it but it seems like more people like it, presumably because the group of new FE fans (due to Awakening) have much louder voices than the old ones, and for them to have liked Awakening a lot they likely enjoyed the marriage/children/blushing/fan service stuff, so yeah, those elements of this game appeal to them. so I guess it seems like most people like it/are hyped, but it really depends on what you're looking for in the game. for me the game doesn't seem to have that which I like, but I've said a lot on that and I'm trying it and giving it a chance and judging it for myself since I think it'd kind of be rude not to give IS another chance when they're clearly trying a bit (that and I'm a big FE fan so I feel a bit more obligated, I get if other people have limited money and time and don't want to give it a chance, you can't give every game a chance after all)

A lot of Awakening starters are complaining about how you can S-Rank all of the royal siblings with Kamui though. Probably because they're so new to this. I'm just like, "Incest? In MY Fire Emblem? It's more likely than you think." Kind of bothers me how they're all like "LOOK AT HOW PROGRESSIVE WE THINK" with all the "we need moar gey!" and then go on to be intolerant as usual but humans gonna human.

Also to be honest I've seen louder vets on this game. The Awakening noobs just have a higher quantity of (very easily overlooked) posts.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#6 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:17 AM

Personal opinion here...I might be rehashing or ignoring stuff from above but screw it.  Long day of listening to customers whine is a long day of listening to customers whine.

I've, at least for a little while now, thought of opinions as penises (if you let me adapt a fun simile on religion): it's fine to have one and you can be proud of it but don't go whipping it out on people randomly and don't go forcing it down someone's throat.  And that's what I think of any community, be it feminism, MRA, economics, politics, Star Wars, anime, piracy, what have you.  If you want to have a constructive conversation, then let's have one.  This isn't a comment about anti-protesting or making noise in general.  Just have the conversation with people who are interested and don't go forcing your line of thought on others.

That pretty much summarizes my opinion on the typical mix of stuff.  I'm a pretty "live and let live" type of person so I don't mind if people think differently from me as long as they don't try win me over by being, for lack of better words, louder than their opposition.  Actually, I've found that it typically goes the opposite...that being obnoxious or trying to enforce your own set of ideals backfires.  We see it quite frequently these days in mass media settings.  The Streisand effect is still kicking these days and I have to admit that while I have no interest in the game itself, Hatred is an excellent case study in the topic

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#7 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:12 AM

I'll be honest and preface this post by saying that I haven't read most of what's been written here. But here goes:

Regardless of social justice or ideals or morals or whatever, generally "offensive" things are bad components of games or movies or books or whatever on a much more fundamental, "objective" (as much as you can be objective here) level. I mean, we generally expect things to work like our world unless we're given a clear reason they don't, and regardless of that things should be internally consistent.

Like, boob armor isn't dumb because it objectifies women. It's dumb because it hinders mobility, directs attacks to the heart, and would be fatal to fall in, and, moreover, all of these problems have been avoided by women in real life by simply wearing normal armor. Having armor that exposes cleavage is dumb because it leaves one of the most vulnerable parts of the body fully exposed. Exposed thighs are dumb because, if you're on foot, it exposes your femoral artery, and if you're mounted, it will destroy your thighs quite possibly to the point of an infection which could be lethal or require the amputation of one or both legs. Yes Fire Emblem doesn't work exactly like real life, but a lot of that is abstraction - I mean, the characters aren't aware that they have 43 HP or 18 SPD or whatever. Within the narrative, there's no reason to think a blade to the heart works fundamentally different in FEworld from in the real world, and there's no reason to think they can't bleed out by having their femoral arteries cut.

Then there's the question of motivation, on multiple levels. The more important one, IMO, is the internal one. Why would a woman choose to wear boob plate or expose her thighs? The only obvious example I can think of is sex appeal, which is an absurd choice for so many women to make. Unless you write a woman who legitimately chooses to endanger herself for the sake of sex appeal, this "offensive" thing plain ol' doesn't make sense. This is also why people who hate Camilla's design might like Rinka's. Rinka's (probably) makes sense within her world, Camilla's (probably) doesn't.

Then there is external motivation, which goes more to your complaint. It's one thing if a story just works out that whatever group is excluded. But there is a difference between that and "ooh women need to be sexy~". External motivation also has to do with what the audience is looking for. In my ideal Fire Emblem, there would be compelling story, characters, and strategic/tactical gameplay. A lot of choices in Awakening and apparently FE14 are clearly not catering to my wants. What this sets up for is not just a complaint that something internal doesn't suit your morals or whatever, but that something external does. While I agree that this obsession with a movie/game/book/etc.'s purpose can actually get in the way of said purpose, conflicting external motivations can lead to internal dissonances, which is totally worth addressing.

?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users