Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

So what is it about Serenes that makes it so much more active than us?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:51 AM

Yes I do know that it happens to have a larger member base than we do, which makes more posts, and so on.

What I'm wondering is what made all the big names go (and stay) there, along with all the less relevant members. I saw you cheating on us with Serenes Wolfie HOW DARE YOU Is it the mainsite features that attracts people more (in-depth game info)? Is it just what first comes to mind or what they find on search for fire emblem forums? Is there something their forum features have that we lack?

Is it because almost everybody in our community is male for some reason? Is it the creepy/distasteful leftover threads? Is it me making this problem even worse by possibly reminding users there might be a better forum out there to hang out on?

I mean. We're both Fire Emblem forums. We both have sections for certain members(spriters, modders, anime-watchers, whatever.) We don't have enough mods and didn't have any moderation whatsoever for some period of time far longer than it should have been safe to in order to ban enough people that the mods and staff doesn't like. I know people come and leave soon because they find it too inactive, but there has to have been something that kept elsewhere alive long enough to keep growing...

You know what? I blame the spambots.

shots fired by Mercurius once again

if we still had awards, you'd win one for "least loyal FES member that's still an FES member" or something XD

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#2 Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

The goldfishest memory ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:22 AM

I saw you cheating on us with Serenes Wolfie HOW DARE YOU

I WAS COERCED INTO DOING SO.

if it matters tho I still love this place a hell of a lot more then I do SF. and i've already been requested stuff by two people there. WHY.

I really can't think of anything constructive to say here... Brain's been fried for the last 3 months or so... Annoying...

d1e502f831c13190dd34a16b376298af%20-%20C

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA, HERE'S YOUR COMPLIMENTARY

DIAL-UP INTERNET AND OVERLY-POISONOUS ARACHNID

#3 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

I think it's more what gets seen first. When you go looking for FE info serenes is one of the first things that comes up,so more people end up there than anywhere else.

Personally though I never had any urge to join the forums there. Not sure why, it just didn't seem like my kind of place.

#4 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Video games, reading, writing, and other such creative things.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Looked up "Fire Emblem" (not "Fire Emblem forums" or anything, just "Fire Emblem") on Google, Serenes Forest is on the first page. I think it's because the website itself gets noticed first, for the walkthroughs, the resources and maybe even some custom sprites. The memberbase already being larger than ours helps out a lot, but that's the reason I'm NOT there. 

A more popular site with a larger member base makes way for even more trolls and annoying people in general. I like the little community we have here, active or no, at least I don't have to deal with the people that sign up and take nothing seriously. ... Well, not as often anyway...

Edit: Also, a smaller community means I get to know EVERYONE better, not just a few select members I happen to make friends with and create a small circle of people I hang out with.

Got Pokemon X/Y or OR/AS? Battle me! Or trade with me... Trading is cool too.
3DS FC: 5300-9087-1138 (PM me if you add me so I know to add you back.)

Have Smash Bros for Wii U? Battle me there too! 

Nintendo Network ID: GoldenWarriorX (No need to notify me in this case, it will.)

#5 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

So i'm gonna steal a phrase from a book I just read which I think is kinda applicable here. Power attracts Power, clearly I'm trying to say that we are in a war with Serenes. What the phrase means, or at least what I interpret it to mean, is that the more power you have the easier it is to get more power. So basically Serenes is more active because it is more active. The fact that it is already  more active keeps it active, and adds more members thus making it even more active. As to what made it active in the first place I can't really tell you since I wasn't there for that.

I don't really have a solution to making FES as big as Serenes with this answer/point of view, but do we really need one? Some people already said it, but I like this place because it isn't Serenes. It isn't filled with a bunch of people who's names I don't have the time to learn. I know, or at least know of, everyone here, and that, that is freakin' awesome.

The shoutbox (which I don't think SF has) is the other thing that makes FES FES, don't change that. EVER.

Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#6 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

Generally speaking, having a large number of members is mainly important for keeping the regulars around, if only for more topics and bumping and so on.

The regulars are the ones that actually matter, but even they aren't going to stick around for that long without enough activity. I would know this given that I did the same thing and probably will again even if it's off forgetting to go the FES and then getting re-addicted when I accidentally check out the place again. The rest of them are just filler that indirectly market FES as a more interesting place.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#7 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:38 PM

Looked up "Fire Emblem" (not "Fire Emblem forums" or anything, just "Fire Emblem") on Google, Serenes Forest is on the first page.

That's interesting because I found FES because I googled Fire Emblem Modding and Blazer's Ultimate Tutorial was the first result.

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#8 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

that's because the ultimate tutorial is pretty great. also if you're looking for something specific, you're going to find it as long as it exists. blazer's tutorial is the most comprehensive FE hacking tutorial i've seen so far, so naturally it's going to show up if you search for FE modding stuff.

major props for writing that btw blazer. it's super helpful.

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:47 PM

warning: wall of text incoming, this is mostly directed at Mercurius but is a response in general too

--------------------

this is sort of a topic I don't want to address because no offense, I'm aware FES isn't super active and hasn't been for a while and might not ever be for a while, but I don't think that constantly addressing it is a good idea. it sort of spreads a sense of negativity and feeling of glum and such. we're essentially putting down FES, the forum we're currently on. how do you think this looks to new members or even older ones? it looks bad. it's depressing. we're definitely way more active than we were before the move and things will still have their ups and downs but let's focus on the positives and keep trying to move up.

There's a lot of reasons why SF is bigger and more active and it also has some shortcomings because of that. Not that I don't want more people here, but eh. I think if we continue to do our part and welcome the new members that come, we'll be alright. Just keep trying and have patience and faith and enjoy your time here. We don't have a lot of reasons for new people to join, that much is true, and I'd like to work on that when I have more free time. The thing is, SF does attract people because of the mainsite but you have Vincent who is very committed to that and doesn't spend a lot of time posting on the forums IMO (not compared to me when I go on a posting spree, anyway). I also have a lot of other responsibilities so I can't do what Vincent does and even if I could, I don't have the energy or skill to match up with him, not to mention he's already filled in that gap. Modding has died down and so has spriting so we need to find some sort of gap that we fill. Unfortunately I'm pretty much a one-man team--Shu hasn't even been able to get the graphics work to me--so it's difficult. I don't have someone like Jyosua dedicated to managing the site and the servers, I don't have dedicated income from ads, and like Snow said, activity draws more activity, which is a huge benefit in itself. The mods also don't carry the weight of not only replying to threads but welcoming new members and making new ones, which is something that in a smaller community like this, is very important: without people constantly posting, those people who only lurk and make a few posts here and there won't feel like posting themselves.

Anyway, it's complicated, and I don't want to censor your concerns by hiding it, but at the same time, it's not really something I want to dwell on right now. Just keep pushing forward. Summer is coming, so are 2 new Fire Emblem games for 3DS and a spin-off/crossover one for Wii U. I'll have more free time and ideally, so will a lot of the members. There's hope and we should stay hopeful and positive and maybe instead of lamenting how the forums aren't as active as others or as they could be, celebrating the fact that we've managed to get both new and old members to come back and post a bit and things are looking way better than they were (even if a lot of members are a lot more inconsistent in their activity--for instance me, Seraph, bb, and Shu don't really visit and post daily or close to it like we used to; if all of our members came and posted every day we'd be in great shape, but not everyone has that free time etc. anymore, so it's understandable...)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Felicity

Felicity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

Geez Merc. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users