Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Lucina, Robin Announced for SSB4

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jul 15 2014, 08:12 PM)
I'm just gonna vent a bit about all the "LUCINA'S A MARTH CLONE FUCK THAT" stuff. It doesn't seem to be the consensus here, thankfully, but it irks me and I'm not barred from doing so here, so postarino we go.

Sure, the video showed Lucina using some of Marth's moves, but nothing's confirmed yet. Some of those may have been placeholders or whatnot. Regardless of how things seem now, I wouldn't write her off as a Marth clone until the game is released.

Even if it turns out she is one, that's not the end of the world. Wolf is a Fox clone, and yet they play moderately differently, IMO. Same with Ness and Lucas, to an extent. I don't see the point of shooting down hope for Lucina's originality just yet, or of pretending that clone characters aren't fun in their own ways.

I's kinda funny how quite a few people loved Roy and even want him back, and yet also condemn Lucina for potentially being a Marth clone. Hypocrisy, right there.

Sakurai confirmed Lucina being a clone except for not having a sweet spot on her sword. I just hope they at least giver her different customizable moves.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#22 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

Lucina was probably added later on to please fans. She could've just been like, ignored/not added altogether. We've had clones before and she at least is her own character. People were begging her to just be a new skin, now they're upset that she's "just a clone"?

Again, I can't really see it as anything but like, fan service. Japan loves Lucina and there are plenty of Lucina fans outside of Japan too. If Lucina wasn't planned for the original roster but was added later, it would make sense that she's a clone because it is not only justified but is an easy way of pleasing people.

At this point I kind of wish Lucina got dropped just because of all the comments, so maybe people would reconsider how unappreciative they're being. Beggars can't be choosers.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#23 Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

The goldfishest memory ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Jul 16 2014, 05:22 PM)
At this point I kind of wish Lucina got dropped just because of all the comments, so maybe people would reconsider how unappreciative they're being. Beggars can't be choosers.

I'm just going to quote Sakurai for this... "Have you ever made a game"?

Not specifically to you, just to everyone complaining about it.

Diversity is good, even if she doesn't have much difference from Marth.

Anywho, more info on how Robin'll work!
user posted image

d1e502f831c13190dd34a16b376298af%20-%20C

WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA, HERE'S YOUR COMPLIMENTARY

DIAL-UP INTERNET AND OVERLY-POISONOUS ARACHNID

#24 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'm slightly disappointed she's a clone, but really, more representation is always cool. Besides, I prefer Lucina lol, and she did pretend to be 'Marth', so...yeah, guess it crosses over into SB haha.

Tome switching is pretty cool. Also, can't wait to bash people with a bronze sword haha.

#25 EmblemEmbassy

EmblemEmbassy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

I made a game. It was never released due to how terrible it was. I accept Lucina with open arms. If you can be announced with a video as epic as that, I don't care who it is, clone or not!

Lucina: "What power is this?!"

Cap. Falcon: "Falcon.... PUNCH!"
Well. This is awkward.

#26 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Whitewolf8 @ Jul 15 2014, 09:37 PM)

Obviously you're missing the fact that Lucina even has the EXACT same idle animations, Roy's was at least different.
user posted image

Lucina's animations in general, aside from the counter stance seems to be executed exactly the same as Marth, too. Again, Roy had some slight animation/speed difference.

Sure, the video showed Lucina using some of Marth's moves, but nothing's confirmed yet. Some of those may have been placeholders or whatnot. Regardless of how things seem now, I wouldn't write her off as a Marth clone until the game is released.

Regardless, is a few different animations and timings all it takes to redeem a clone character? I could be wrong, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a clone who didn't have those differences from the original.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#27 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

Redeem? Who said it's redeeming anything?

I think people are fundamentally misunderstanding this >___________>;

Let's say Lucina and Marth are literally the exact same character except for their textures (i.e. appearance) and their voices. Would you rather not have Lucina in this case? See, even in these circumstances it would still make sense to have her be her own character because of a VASTLY different look and different voices--she just couldn't pass as Marth and it'd be too different to be played off as just a "reference". However gameplay-wise the characters would be the exact same.

So what it sounds like is clones are inherently bad and you should never have them even if it means allowing you to use characters that otherwise wouldn't be in. So fuck we shouldn't even have Claus because he's not really his own character he's just a palette swap of Lucas, that's not fair.

Whoever said Lucina had to be in? Whoever said she needed to be her own completely unique character? That's just people's own unreasonable expectations. Which is all the more reason I'd be happy if Lucina got taken out, because it'd be a huge slap in the face to everyone who complained not to take shit for granted. Sakurai tries to do everyone a favor by not only giving you a texture swap, but even putting in the voices and making it so you can play as "Lucina". It's practically fan service in a game that is fan service (and also a great game in its own right). And in return, people repay him by complaining, bitching, and whining. Those people don't deserve jack.

Being disappointed is fine, it's when people have to act so immature and annoying about it that it becomes a problem.

Naturally it's a much bigger problem across other parts of the internet than here.

And the problem extends to not only this but things like... say, Club Nintendo's Elite status rewards, which were just announced. People feel entitled to physical rewards, but that's just their own flawed thinking. Nintendo puts out lots of great digital rewards instead and all you here is whining and complaining. Those people don't deserve jack. If you don't like it, that's fine, go ahead and send a form to Nintendo asking them to change. But don't go starting a shitstorm like you're some 5 year old on a temper tantrum. Draw the line somewhere before you look like an unreasonable idiot.

*sighs* I'm done, sorry but I am so sick of the internet right now, if you guys weren't awesome I would have probably died from not knowing more than a handful of decent human beings on the internet

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#28 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Jul 16 2014, 02:01 PM)
Let's say Lucina and Marth are literally the exact same character except for their textures (i.e. appearance) and their voices. Would you rather not have Lucina in this case? See, even in these circumstances it would still make sense to have her be her own character because of a VASTLY different look and different voices--she just couldn't pass as Marth and it'd be too different to be played off as just a "reference". However gameplay-wise the characters would be the exact same.

So what it sounds like is clones are inherently bad and you should never have them even if it means allowing you to use characters that otherwise wouldn't be in. So fuck we shouldn't even have Claus because he's not really his own character he's just a palette swap of Lucas, that's not fair.

Whoever said Lucina had to be in? Whoever said she needed to be her own completely unique character? That's just people's own unreasonable expectations. Which is all the more reason I'd be happy if Lucina got taken out, because it'd be a huge slap in the face to everyone who complained not to take shit for granted. Sakurai tries to do everyone a favor by not only giving you a texture swap, but even putting in the voices and making it so you can play as "Lucina". It's practically fan service in a game that is fan service (and also a great game in its own right). And in return, people repay him by complaining, bitching, and whining. Those people don't deserve jack.

I agree completely. I personally wouldn't care if every character was a direct Mario clone, properties and animations and all. I don't believe she'll be as much of a Marth clone as people seem to think, but that's not really important, and it's not a bad thing even if she is.

Edit: Just saw the second page of replies, including Cero's. My bad. My opinion doesn't really change regarding her being a nice addition to the game, though.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#29 Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jul 17 2014, 03:04 AM)
Regardless, is a few different animations and timings all it takes to redeem a clone character? I could be wrong, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a clone who didn't have those differences from the original.

The only problem I personally have with this is that the only other character that had the same idle as the original was Doctor Mario, who IS Mario.

Lucina may still play vastly differently though, and maybe she'll play as a Melee-esque Marth, I'd be fine with that. We'll just have to wait and see upon release, or maybe more info on their difference, I dunno.

#30 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I don't think she'll play vastly different, she's just a slightly more accessible version of Marth (damage dealt evenly along the blade = less technical) with different graphics and voices. Treat her more like a costume change that just needed their own roster spot because they're actual different people, despite all their similarities (whereas characters like Villager, Robin, etc. are just opposite gender versions of each other with no differences in how they play and with no reason to create separate roster slots).

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#31 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:38 AM

Tomes, Not Today (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
user posted image
user posted image

Posted Image

#32 Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

So a comparison of some of Marth's and Lucina's animations.
huuuge image incoming! (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
user posted image

So it seems that Lucina indeed seems to have her own style on some animations, this is all I wanted to see really~ I'm actually VERY happy with this... For one, I LOVE her Shield Breaker animation here, haha

#33 Rujio

Rujio

I eat Axel

• Veterans
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Her shield breaker animation looks incredibly awkward to me. Like, how could that possibly be an effective attack? The one above it looks similarly awkward to me. That counter pose also looks awkward, but it looks like she might have started the motion for the attack portion of it. Then the dolphin slash looks identical for both of them to me.
?????????
???????
There, katakana. Happy?
Bobryk -- holy crap I look away for two seconds and I have knots all up in my shit

#34 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:36 AM

user posted image

Posted Image

#35 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

@kirant I'd just play the "it's a video game, it's not supposed to be realistic" card here, lol, because I'm pretty confident there are plenty of other awkward attacks and motions and such (I mean Smash physics in general make no sense)

meanwhile Cero's being Cero

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#36 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Jul 23 2014, 04:35 PM)
meanwhile Cero's being Cero

You know you love it.

Posted Image

#37 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I have cero love for you or your shenanigans

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#38 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

I don't remember the last time I played smash brothers for realistic gameplay, so it's all a-okay with me!
user posted image

#39 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Fire Blazer @ Jul 23 2014, 03:35 PM)
@kirant I'd just play the "it's a video game, it's not supposed to be realistic" card here, lol, because I'm pretty confident there are plenty of other awkward attacks and motions and such (I mean Smash physics in general make no sense)

Am I stroking out again or does anybody have a clue what post this is in reference to? The last post here I remember was about R.O.B.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#40 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:33 AM

I think he meant Rujio
user posted image