Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Completed Games List 2016

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, 3DS, January 29

My biggest qualm with the game was how horrifically childish the start was. For a series where the main character is supposed to literally be you, the player, this game seemed to go FAR out of its way to detach you from your self-insert by treating the main character like a child. Sure, this isn't a problem if you're actually a kid, but considering that this game is actually a little too complex for children to play, that's a problem. (also, the series has NEVER brought age into the equation before, so meh.) By the time I finally got out from under our "parents" and joined the expedition society, I had been mentally numbed to the story and couldn't really have my emotional strings pulled.

So when

Spoiler

I was just like "Welp. That happened."

While it's nice that all 700+ Pokemon are back, it was kind of meh that you couldn't nickname Pokemon anymore. For someone like me who nicknames EVERYTHING, that was a major bummer.

It's also nice that you can actually rescue yourself instead of relying on others, but it's not nice that you can't do as you did in Gates to Infinity and control your teammates back home and complete missions while your main two characters are stuck in a story dungeon somewhere. (You CAN control your teammates, but you only have access to dungeons you've already been to, and you can't complete missions.) Level grinding this way is also not an option, despite ALL Pokemon gaining experience when you do in the main game.

MY RANKING: (as a note, 5 is a mid-level where I don't care one way or the other)

Game Mechanics: 8/10 (Major reduction points: Lack of freedom regarding story missions [previous games allowed you to ignore certain story missions and just grind. This game says no.] Lack of Pokemon naming, enemies being constantly overpowered, AWFUL FORCED TUTORIALS.)

Story: 4/10 (Major reduction points: the first half of the game was spent being treated like a kid, going to school, not being allowed to do things because "you're just a kid" etc. It took 11 hours and 30 minutes to even get to the point where the actual PLOT started. After that, things were better, but not good enough to overpower the reduction points for what happened previously. Also, the climax was pretty much pulled out of a hat and had no foreshadowing whatsoever.)

Graphics: 9.5/10 (Major reduction points: WHERE IS MY HEART-SHAPED TAIL?! Yes that is my only legitimate complaint. I don't expect much for a Pokemon game, TBH)

Sound: 7/10 (Music was not quite as epic as Gates to Infinity was, but it did have some nice tracks in it.  There was one song, though, that had a flute which sounded like it was dying (I'm not kidding.) It completely bothered me for the entire duration of the dungeon.

Overall: 7

I probably won't play through the story ever again, but I'll probably continue playing this file for a bit.

IUfb9Eg.png

#42 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

oh wow a detailed review

and again, I wasn't going to get it unless it sounded amazing, so this just further cements my resolve to not get it

welp, hopefully the next one is better

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#43 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

It's 4 AM.  I need to be up by about 9 today.

I can't sleep.  I'm flipping off aliens with both hands. 

And yet I couldn't be happier.  XCOM: Enemy Within (Long War) is finally done.  Now I don't need to think about "What if I can't beat this game" anymore.

...And holy crap.  I took 400 screenshots for that.  I have a hell of a lot of sifting to do.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#44 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

oh wow a detailed review

and again, I wasn't going to get it unless it sounded amazing, so this just further cements my resolve to not get it

welp, hopefully the next one is better

Yeah, I figured just posting that I beat it was not enough. lol.

I honestly don't have any hopes for the next game, but I guess it's always better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Also, you need to un-sticky the 2015 topic and sticky this one. lol

IUfb9Eg.png

#45 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:55 AM

Yeah, I figured just posting that I beat it was not enough. lol.

I honestly don't have any hopes for the next game, but I guess it's always better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Also, you need to un-sticky the 2015 topic and sticky this one. lol

aye, I'm having to lower my expectations for a lot of series. I'd like to still have at least a few series I can rely on to be good though. T_T

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#46 Voffie

Voffie

He who might do things

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Games. Anime. More games.

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:34 AM

Super Metroid, Wii U (SNES), January 24th 2016

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Soma Mode), Wii U (GBA), February 14th 2016

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Julius Mode), Wii U (GBA), February 16th 2016

Yes, I beat one game twice in a short time period. Aria of Sorrow was my first Metroidvania, and one of the few Metroidvanias I enjoy more than Aria of Sorrow is the direct sequel Dawn of Sorrow (Which sadly isn't on the Wii U eshop and the 3DS doesn't have DS games for some reason)

#47 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:05 AM

Undertale (Neutral route) - Febuary 14

Undertale (True Pacifist route) - Febuary 16

To scared to play a genocide run but I hear it gives alot of backstory so I'm sooo tempted.

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#48 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:34 AM

To scared to play a genocide run but I hear it gives alot of backstory so I'm sooo tempted.

Watch a Let's Play of it instead?

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#49 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

Watch a Let's Play of it instead?

good idea, tho it's not the same XP

personally I plan to say away from Undertale for a long while, probably, until the craze is gone enough and my backlog isn't so huge

man I really need to update this list (and even the 2015 one), ughhh

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#50 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:48 PM

I can understand that. I went and got it cause Game Theory did an episode and warned that I should play before watching.

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#51 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:02 AM

i only got it on the suggestion of a friend. decent enough but couldn't keep my interest very long tbh. haven't even finished a run of it yet.(undertale that is)

project mirai DX: february 18th. s+ rank on every song/every difficulty so i'm gonna call it finished, but not yet completed as there are many things left to do i suppose. great little rythm game imo. not for everyone naturally, but pretty fun. good distraction for long boring rides on a plane/in a car/whatever you happen to be stuck in though. 

#52 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

Oh flip, I forgot to record the day I beat Birthright. -_-

I guess I'll just wait until I beat Nohr and then give my thoughts about both at once. A contrasting between the two might be interesting to write about. Especially since Birthright's plot was rather meh.

IUfb9Eg.png

#53 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

Oh flip, I forgot to record the day I beat Birthright. -_-

I guess I'll just wait until I beat Nohr and then give my thoughts about both at once. A contrasting between the two might be interesting to write about. Especially since Birthright's plot was rather meh.

welp, enjoy Conquest's potentially-even-worse plot, haha.

I haven't updated in a while and won't today as I am first going to do a long overdue post on the 2015 thread, then unpin that since I forgot and pin this since I also forgot to do that... lol. basically, catch-up work, haha.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#54 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

super smash bros for 3ds: 3/7 2016

yeah there's really no way to "complete" this game, but I came as close as I ever will this morning. I was playing for glory with captain falcon when suddenly, and I don't know if it was divine intervention or what that made me do it, I decided to try out the "sacred combo". Now keep in mind I'm not an exceptionally good cap falcon player, so this was a stupid idea... If it had failed that is. We're talking the whole damn combo too. Down throw to knee followed by a falcon punch off the side of the stage. And I'll never do it again.

#55 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

welp, enjoy Conquest's potentially-even-worse plot, haha.

I haven't updated in a while and won't today as I am first going to do a long overdue post on the 2015 thread, then unpin that since I forgot and pin this since I also forgot to do that... lol. basically, catch-up work, haha.

Conquest felt a little better, but not by much. Except for the last few chapters.

Fire Emblem Conquest: March 7th.

I'm not gonna do a full-out review since everyone on the forums is playing or has played it, but I will post my thoughts in spoilers.

Spoiler

IUfb9Eg.png

#56 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

super smash bros for 3ds: 3/7 2016

yeah there's really no way to "complete" this game, but I came as close as I ever will this morning. I was playing for glory with captain falcon when suddenly, and I don't know if it was divine intervention or what that made me do it, I decided to try out the "sacred combo". Now keep in mind I'm not an exceptionally good cap falcon player, so this was a stupid idea... If it had failed that is. We're talking the whole damn combo too. Down throw to knee followed by a falcon punch off the side of the stage. And I'll never do it again.

amazing. what a way to complete the game. 10/10 lol

Conquest felt a little better, but not by much. Except for the last few chapters.

Fire Emblem Conquest: March 7th.

I'm not gonna do a full-out review since everyone on the forums is playing or has played it, but I will post my thoughts in spoilers.

Spoiler

welp, congrats on beating it. gonna play the 3rd route in a few days? lol

I wasn't really thinking too much about the plot but the final boss didn't particularly surprise me. As for the other thing, they probably wanted to make them different and show the effects of the throne but yeah, it was... kinda lame... lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#57 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

welp, congrats on beating it. gonna play the 3rd route in a few days? lol

Yes, because I wanna be all like HECK WITH THAT SADISTIC CHOICE. I'M TAKING THE THIRD OPTION!

I spend way too much time on tv tropes.

IUfb9Eg.png

#58 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

Fallout 4, X1, 31/03/16

Lego Lord of the Rings, X360, 20/02/16

#59 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:56 AM

Fallout 4, X1, 31/03/16

Lego Lord of the Rings, X360, 20/02/16

Lego? haha. didn't expect that on a list from you.

How was Fallout 4? Did it run well? Better/worse than Fallout 3, if you've played that? Just curious.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#60 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Lego? haha. didn't expect that on a list from you.

How was Fallout 4? Did it run well? Better/worse than Fallout 3, if you've played that? Just curious.

I play them with my gf in co-op - they're kinda fun :P

Fallout 4...it's difficult. It's good fun, and some of the new stuff is neat (weapon modding/crafting, power armour as an actual suit, probably a couple other things), but the actual story and characters felt really weak. I don't think they've really pushed on from 3 - given the success of Skyrim and the last two Fallouts, they've concluded that they don't need to bother too much with a compelling main story or characters anymore - just make pretty worlds and go exploring with a couple interesting side quests and basic yet enjoyable combat. 

I think 3 and NV were better overall games. 4 is fun, easy to pick up, absorbs a lot of time, and has nothing particularly memorable. A bit how I felt about Skyrim.

Oh, and FUCK Preston and his bloody radiant quests constantly appearing. Seriously.

7-8/10 I guess? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users