Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Books

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

Books. Do you read them?

So I noticed there wasn't a recent thread about books here. Basically I thought at if anyone was reading a book they thought was cool or wanted to reccomend/ask for a reccomendation, they could post it here. I don't know about you guys but I read alot, almost one book a week regularly. Hopefully enough people here read as to make this tread semi-active?

Mostly I read fantasy though I sometimes read detective storys too. Right now I'm reading House of Chains by Steve Erikson, it's part a series called Malazan Book of the Fallen. The first book is a nightmare to understand, but after that you start to get a feel for the world. It's also Dark as all night, though it has it's hopeful moments too. I really recommend people to try the series, if only so that they can see the badass that is Anomander Rake, or Coltaine, or Whiskeyjack... Basically this is a world of badasses XD
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#2 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:45 AM

Let's see...

-I'm trying to go through the Wheel of Time series, though I forget where I left off. I would say it's around book 8 or 9 at a random guess.

-Only relatively recently did I realize that the Chronicles of the Black Company extend beyond The White Rose. I made progress on Bleak Seasons before taking a break.

-I became aware of the Maze Runner trilogy later than most, and got midway through The Scorch Trials before just kind of dropping it for a while. I might resume it soon.

-A friend of mine nagged me about The Dresden Files until I tried it, and I really liked it. I don't have access to the laptop that I had the audiobook of the first on for reasons, but I enjoyed it a lot, and should be regaining access soon.

-Still waiting for The Dream War book 3, Bobryk pls

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#3 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:55 AM

Let's see...

-I'm trying to go through the Wheel of Time series, though I forget where I left off. I would say it's around book 8 or 9 at a random guess.

Yeah I got to book 9 or so last year before getting bored. I keep wanting to finish the series but I've forgotten almost everything and I don't want to re read 9 books XD

-Only relatively recently did I realize that the Chronicles of the Black Company extend beyond The White Rose. I made progress on Bleak Seasons before taking a break.

I read the first 6 books I think? Can't remember till where that is, and I don't want to say in case I spoil some for you XD

-I became aware of the Maze Runner trilogy later than most, and got midway through The Scorch Trials before just kind of dropping it for a while. I might resume it soon.

Read the first one, wasn't very thrilled about it. Also I read it in spanish so that might have something to do with me not enjoying it.

-A friend of mine nagged me about The Dresden Files until I tried it, and I really liked it. I don't have access to the laptop that I had the audiobook of the first on for reasons, but I enjoyed it a lot, and should be regaining access soon.

LOVE this series, so much. I finished Skin Game (the latest book in the series) in one day, Have you only read the first one? Because what makes the series really good IMO is how important the smallest details can be when you read tall the books.

-Still waiting for The Dream War book 3, Bobryk pls

Replies in Bold

Posted Image
Posted Image
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#4 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:06 AM

I'm reading the discworld books(terry pratchet) right now, and thoroughly enjoying them. I'm also working through the shannara series very slowly as they're all fairly sizable books. Not to mention there's like 10 of them total. I mostly read fantasy, but I do enjoy sci-fi from time to time if it's really good. Oh and I just read Think Like a Freak by the same people who wrote Freakonomics.

#5 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:25 PM

Just finished The Wheel of Time series.

I had read the first 10 books 2 years ago and just stopped because Book 10 is terribly slow, but I finally decided to come back to it, and holy shit, the last 4 books are totally worth it. Wonderful books and a great series that has a bit of a slump between books 9 and 10

Currently reading the 4th Game of Thrones book, A Feast for Crows. It's actually very good, I enjoy the writing style but genuinely, Samwell Tarly needs to die, his chapters are as boring as they come.

Also about to start The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, have heard great things about it but haven't had a chance to start it yet.

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#6 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

Just finished The Wheel of Time series.

I had read the first 10 books 2 years ago and just stopped because Book 10 is terribly slow, but I finally decided to come back to it, and holy shit, the last 4 books are totally worth it. Wonderful books and a great series that has a bit of a slump between books 9 and 10

That's because the last 3 books in the series are written by Brandon Sanderson, an awesome author. I recommend anything he has written.

Currently reading the 4th Game of Thrones book, A Feast for Crows. It's actually very good, I enjoy the writing style but genuinely, Samwell Tarly needs to die, his chapters are as boring as they come.

Yeah Feast for Crows and the next book, Dance with Dragons, aren't as good as the other 3 books IMO. There are some interesting chapters in Feast for Crows though, you get to learn more about Littlefinger and Dorne for example.

Also about to start The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, have heard great things about it but haven't had a chance to start it yet.

Dear god you've been missing out. It's a really good series, though the third and final book has yet to come out. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Replies in Bold

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Seraphinox

Seraphinox

Scribe of the Heavens

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

When the writing does switch over to Brandon there is a noticeable difference in the writing.

But that isn't in Writing quality, only in writing style.

Brandon just writes a lot faster than Jordan did so that stuff seems to happen much faster because Sanderson isn't describing every little thing along the way of the journey.

Honestly though I feel this would have been the case whether or not Sanderson did take over, because there was so much to get through in the last 3 books that I doubt Jordan would have had time to fuck around and waste time like in Books 9 and 10.

Well worth the read either way, it's just so satisfying to come to the end of such a journey. And then get that urge to read through it all again just to see what you missed....

QUOTE (The Best Matt)
"blazer posting sexy pictures.. was it tagged as blazzer?" 

QUOTE ( Oblivion)
Seraphiroth is over rated

user posted image

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:57 PM

the only uh... normal? (non-educational or w/e) book I have really waiting is Bobryk's book, which I keep trying to read... unsuccessfully. I am not really a reader in general; in terms of actual books, I hardly read any outside of the aforementioned educational books. I'll occasionally read bits and pieces of light novels but can't actually be bothered to read the whole things, and the only "light novel" I actually own is this one SAO one which I only read part of (didn't feel like reading any more, sadly :\)

sooo yeah sadly I will not be contributing much of anything to this thread unless something changes lol (I do have a few books Snow suggested to me that I think are still written down on my phone, but yeaaaahhh it could be several years before I actually get to trying any of them)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#9 Queenie

Queenie

The french flying toast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:a lot of things :P

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

I realise How our books related cultures are different in each country.

yes we have too international best-sellers (Game of thrones, Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, etc..) but I don't know somme books that you quoted here.

In France we have a lot of good french autors, my faves ones are Sire cedric and Maxime Chattam because they have a good writting style (if you don't know them, I wouldn't be surprised) And I like some classics book, not all of them because I find this... slow... and nothing happens.

and About international books, I was in fond of Millenium by Stieg Larson.

#10 acceptance

acceptance

to live is to accept

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:accepting things

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:14 AM

I dont have much time to read books anymore, nor do I have the patience. Used to loved readin em in the hour or so before homeroom in high school, though.

I've always been more of a movie guy, anyway.
Dave Grohl is rock and roll personified.

Actually a real smart genius man, but I'll never show it.

#11 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

I just finished reading The Stranger on my free time. Right now, I'm currently reading The Will to Power, Dream of the Red Chamber, and rereading the Song of Roland because I enjoyed it so much.

I also started reading Cicero's oratories in Latin because my grandmother gave me 1930's copies with side translations, but I've been reading the Latin (at a very slow pace, it takes me about fifteen minutes to read one page).

#12 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

Damn that man is cultured.

Hmm I've read The Stranger and it was pretty decent, though I don't really like "realistic" books, can't remember what they're called in English.

Queenie you said you were studying English right? You should try reading some of those books in English if you haven't already, it really helps with learning new words and figuring out how conversations work.

Blazer if you ever want to read something I have a bunch of books I'm always trying to recommend/force my friends to read, I actually have another friends at uni and together we've organized like this book trading scheme so everyone reads the books we like XD 

Seraph I still need finish the Wheel of Time, I'm currently stuck on the seventh Malazan book.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Knight of Argentum

Knight of Argentum

Maximus Imperator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Saepe in arcas verborum scribere obliviscor.

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:27 AM

Damn that man is cultured.

Hmm I've read The Stranger and it was pretty decent, though I don't really like "realistic" books, can't remember what they're called in English.

Heh, thank you.

I particularly read the book because I was studying Existentialism with one of my friends by suggestion of a teacher at my school, so we read The Stranger. I probably don't have many books I could recommend to you because I pretty much read anything I find in Latin, epic poetry, philosophy, and classical novels. And on top of that, anything I'm required for school. If you're interested in reading any of those I can point you in the direction of some of my favorites.

#14 Queenie

Queenie

The french flying toast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:a lot of things :P

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

Queenie you said you were studying English right? You should try reading some of those books in English if you haven't already, it really helps with learning new words and figuring out how conversations work.

That's true, I can do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users