Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Spriting Contest S2 Week 2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts
  • Interests:Pimpin'

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

Here are the rules broskis.

- All sprites must be splices ( I will allow a MINIMAL amount of custom aspects to your sprites. Just point out where it is, please.)
- You may only post your OWN work
- You may only use the posted sprites as resources. (Color is NOT restrained. ie if all the characters are say, green, your submission doesn't have to be green.)
- You can change your submission, but please edit your original post instead of making another one altogether.)

In addition, when submitting, explain where you used each character. You do not need to use all three of the portraits. The reason why I say that is because if a sprite looks outstanding whilst only using two of the portraits, you'd be forced to possibly decrease the quality of your submission because you had to throw in something that you didn't want there.

Results will be in next Saturday.

Anyways...

user posted image

I tried to pick a better set this time, trying to get the angles similar without making the selections look too much alike.

PULL NO PUNCHES
user posted image
Gallery

I will not remove this until the Vikings win the Super Bowl - Started 1/28/11

"i had to google bukkake."
-Boney

#2 Green

Green

hello world this be luka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

Well, you caved...

#3 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

I don't know how other forums do it, but I have no intention of conforming to them. I'm simply doing it how I think it should be done. There should not be a problem with how it's happening so far.

In addition, I recognize that I'm not the most qualified to judge these things, and I really didn't want to judge last week, so you guys can look forward to having someone better pick the winner this time around.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#4 Green

Green

hello world this be luka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:43 AM

I'd gladly take your position if you'd like.

#5 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

Depending on how this week goes, I may have someone else run & judge it, and you can expect to have your name considered.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#6 Green

Green

hello world this be luka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:50 AM

Actually, I think the whole one person judging system should be lifted, a voting system should replace it, its more fair that way. If someone votes for their own mug, that vote wont count, as easy as that. Winner will choose the set.

#7 Nayr

Nayr

Swooping is bad

• Banned
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Well as someone with experience in Splicing contest.

- Requiring a person to explain which part goes where all the time is unnecessary. Should only be applied when a splice is done well enough to look custom.

- Allowing some customization should be allowed. Not all sprites magically fit together like a infant puzzle. Just no FULL custom parts. IE hair, face, body, armor, accessories.

- Also its better to put all three sprites on one image and just host it somewhere rather than leave it to the person to pick up three different ones and keep them organized.

#8 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

My main beef with that is that I like to have the most qualified do the judging. Someone who can analyze each sprite. I know that it's kind of odd that I say that because I was the one who judged last week, but that's what I think.

And I actually don't have a problem with having the winner pick the next set, it's just that I already had a set picked out.

Anyways, this isn't the place to discuss this. Send me a message if you have further points.

EDIT: KAY NAYR
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#9 Nayr

Nayr

Swooping is bad

• Banned
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:04 AM

user posted image

Here, taken from my self made sprite compilation sheet.

Also having a deadline for submission would be recommended. And putting in the spriting guidelines for insertion would be recommended too. As it will teach spriters to stay within the limits so their works will be usable.(IE 16 colors(aka 15 plus background) and stay in the 96x80.)

Also keep in mind I cant keep an eye all the time and I'm forgetful. So I'll be counting on you to fill in when I'm not here.

And don't be afraid to mix it up sometimes and institute special rules on some weeks. Like one week you get four sprites to work with, another you only get two, and one week you can only use certain colors.

#10 Green

Green

hello world this be luka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

And don't be afraid to mix it up sometimes and institute special rules on some weeks. Like one week you get four sprites to work with, another you only get two, and one week you can only use certain colors.

...Uh, how about no, there needs to be some sort of consistency mang ._.

#11 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

I do have a deadline, it just isn't in the rules. Again, I forgot to add it.

We already had a discussion last week where we decided against making all submissions be hack insertable, artistic reasons.

Again, not the place to discuss this. You can hit me up in banhammer, Nayr.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#12 Green

Green

hello world this be luka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

Is there someplace all three of us could take this convo?

#13 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

user posted image Oh hey, I'm the first entry.
Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

Well, you caved...

This is really off-topic. If you don't have a question or an entry to submit, or else a comment on an existing entry that is not criticism nor an offensive mark, then I'd appreciate if you didn't post and side-track things. Thanks.

In addition, I recognize that I'm not the most qualified to judge these things, and I really didn't want to judge last week, so you guys can look forward to having someone better pick the winner this time around.

If you were a recognized spriter it'd probably be fine; however, we don't have a spriter who is also a staff member, so I think the best alternative would be to leave the decisions up to voting. However (again), if this is done, you should make a topic in the News & Announcements forum to let people know that voting for the spriting contest is taking place. Since there is currently only 1 spriting contest, I'll allow that no problem.

- Requiring a person to explain which part goes where all the time is unnecessary. Should only be applied when a splice is done well enough to look custom.

It is really only applied during that point--he made that rule so that people who make portraits that are hard to recognize which portrait are which (which many people do) can point out that they actually did use the portraits given and didn't do a ton of customization.

- Allowing some customization should be allowed. Not all sprites magically fit together like a infant puzzle. Just no FULL custom parts. IE hair, face, body, armor, accessories.

- Also its better to put all three sprites on one image and just host it somewhere rather than leave it to the person to pick up three different ones and keep them organized.

Customization is allowed... in the same way as you said...

And putting all 3 sprites on one image is convenient but I don't think it's necessary at all--it's not that hard to copy an image onto a paint file, or whatever else people might use, and then start spriting... but if Shu is willing to then it's not bad so we might as well, since it'd help people be lazysprite easier.

Also having a deadline for submission would be recommended. And putting in the spriting guidelines for insertion would be recommended too. As it will teach spriters to stay within the limits so their works will be usable.(IE 16 colors(aka 15 plus background) and stay in the 96x80.)

Also keep in mind I cant keep an eye all the time and I'm forgetful. So I'll be counting on you to fill in when I'm not here.

At this point you're just telling him how to run his spriting contest, which is not good. He can do what he wants and do it the way he wants--i.e. if he doesn't want to mix things up, he won't, and if he does, then he will, but you don't have to be treating him like a little kid and telling him. Same thing with the rules.

In other words, it seems like you guys are treating Shu like he's an inexperienced guy who has no idea what he's doing. He's done everything he's done for a reason, and logical reasons, so please stop questioning him and trying to get him to do things your way. As I said, you're free to start your own spriting contest your own way. Burger King, have it your way

Anyway, I've said enough, I'm not throwing off any warnings or anything because it was relatively peaceful discussion, but let's all just take this somewhere else so we don't ruin the experience of the spriting contest, or else start drama. You can PM me here or else e-mail me at smashfire17@gmail.com and I'll be glad to explain things on behalf of Shu; otherwise make your own spriting contest, seriously. Maybe people will like it more, who knows. I personally like not having to conform to spriter's rules or 3 portraits or certain colors or stuff like that so yeah. :\

Any posts past this, from any member, including myself and the staff, that attempt to explain or change the rules of the contest, will be considered derailing the topic and people will receive a harmless verbal warning for it. :\

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Green

Green

hello world this be luka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

There was a relevant post there, I edited it in but then Shu made his post, there was no need to keep it up.

#16 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Come on guys, ENTER ENTER ENTER!

Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#17 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Will do, when is the exact deadline again? Need to take out an hour for this...

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#18 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

Next Saturday.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#19 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

Cool, in. *might actually have something this time*

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#20 Sea Lion

Sea Lion

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:I play rugby and run cross country. Beyond that I act and I read alot.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

I've started something, it'll probably be in pretty soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users