Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Pokemon's "Rivals" -- SPAR

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:19 PM

In recent years I have been growing repeatedly annoying by all the little additions they've been adding to the Pokemon games. Specifically how horrifically linear they are making the games these days, but another big annoyance factor for me are the "rivals." Or friends. Or whatever.

In the first three generations, you almost never ran into your rival unless there was a battle to fight. You ran into your rival in G/S/C like, once, and didn't battle him. That was it. Your rival in R/S USUALLY didn't show up somewhere unless you fought him/her, too--although there were a few places where you could find him/her standing around doing nothing. And they liked to show up after you beat the champion, but whatever. And Wally, who some might argue was the true rival, actually completely disappears after a certain point in the game, only showing up later at the end of victory road.

However, from fourth gen onward, certain NPC's have been given more prominent roles--there's Lucas or Dawn, depending on your gender, but you don't see them very often. Then there was Lyra and whatever the male equivalent was, who proceeded to annoy you with their existence for the first quarter of the game. 

Then we had Bianca and Cheren, and from that point on, it's been pretty much a consistent thing that your friends/rivals pretty much end up everywhere you are. This wasn't bad, and their characters were actually pretty well-written...

Then X/Y came along. Now you have five "friends," all of which end up in the same places as you. All of them stop you for stupid things. One such thing just so happens to be calling you to come to the route you were JUST about to enter. Another is pulling you aside to listen to some stupid, fake ghost story. One even drags you aside to watch the lumoise tower light up, which is the most mediocre thing ever. And for the entire duration of the game, none of them have any development. Except maybe your REAL rival, the one that changes according to gender.

OR/AS follows suit by giving your rival more appearances. Except...most of these appearances are unneeded. Do we REALLY need our rival to tell us where we need to go next? Was his/her involvement in the Dr. Cosmo sub-plot REALLY necessary? (Especially when his/her Pokemon are a dead-weight in that battle and actually only serve to make the battle HARDER.)

The answer is no. We don't really need them. We didn't need them in the first three gens. All they really serve to do is give the game more of a "plot"--if you can call it that--and make you feel more immersed. Which I guess is fine, if you don't mind getting stopped by an NPC every 5 minutes for some stupid, pointless and/or annoying reason.

Now, mind you, I like stories in my video games. But the rivals in Pokemon do not truly count as "story." They are characters who appear repeatedly to break up segments of the game with their antics, only to get in your way when you're doing a solo run challenge and actually do not want to pay attention to "story."

And so, I hereby coin the term "SPAR" -- Stupid, Pointless and Annoying Rivals.

Now I am done with my rant and shall hereby flee the incoming flames~

IUfb9Eg.png

#2 flyingace24

flyingace24

#1 Laker Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:27 AM

Personally, I thought the rivals were pretty cool in the first two generations. It felt awesome fighting Gary as a kid. It was just like the TV show, and Gary was awesome. The GSC rival wasn't half bad. He wasn't as cool as Gary/Blue, but I thought he had a cool character arc. I completely agree with you though afterward. The RSE ones were kinda pointless and weren't even really rivals. It wasn't as satisfying to beat them during a battle because they weren't antagonists. Same for DPPt. I never played after that, so I can't really comment. However, if the trend of lamer rival in each successive generation continued, I certainly don't think you're wrong.

I think they should definitely be a rival, in the sense that Gary and Silver were. Not in the "friend" version that the other rivals seem to be.

#3 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

I think they should definitely be a rival, in the sense that Gary and Silver were. Not in the "friend" version that the other rivals seem to be.

Agreed. It's definitely more satisfying to hand them a slice of humble pie when they're egotistic jerks. Brendon was a jerk, so it was still somewhat satisfying to beat him, but he never truly went anywhere after Lilycove, and unlike Silver in G/S/C, he never developed.

Which just makes it even more meh that they changed BOTH of them in the remakes. HG/SS removed Silver's character development, and then OR/AS made Brendon much more friendly and nice.

IUfb9Eg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users