Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

I needs new anime >.<

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nils

Nils

Makes poems so bad you will cry.....out of pity xD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Playing the guitar<br>Listening to Music (Rock, some jazz and a little bit of classical music)<br>Fire Emblem (Of course)<br>Video games in general (mostly FPS and RPG)<br>Reading<br>Cooking<br>Flying (Piloting)<br>Archery

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:01 AM

So I need new anime to watch.

Loved Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hellsing, Sword Art Online, Naruto (I haven't seen Shippuden because I got lazy), One Piece (Haven't kept up with it in a while), etc.

I have a few anime I plan on watching like:

Spice and Wolf, Accel World, Blue Exorcist, Berzerk, Fate/Zero and a few others I can't name off the top of my head.

I like good action, good romance, good art and good music. A good story is a great plus xD

I do have a few criteria:

1. Has to be COMPLETED.

I hate waiting for episodes to come out. >.<

2. English dubbed is preferred, though not required.

I know I'll get a bit of hate for this one. While I agree that Japanese dubs are usually better, there are some good English dubs out there.

I prefer the English dub a lot of the time anyway because its easier for me to watch rather than read all the time. Not to mention the Japanese dubs with English subs are not always accurate translations xD

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance ^_^

Hey everyone! If you're a KH or FF fan, please come to Castle Oblivion to discuss things about them!

Its a bit late now since the forum is practically dead. I almost keep this sig PURELY for sentimental value xD

user posted image

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

Before you watch fate/zero you should watch the unlimited blade works anime. Unless you've already watched fate/stay night in which case it doesn't matter too much(read: watch it anyway UBW is so good)

It seems you're not adverse to comedy, so you may want to check out assassination classroom when it finishes. The manga is very nearly there i believe(unless they do something to drag it out a bit. I wouldn't mind that honestly. it's pretty good)

#3 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Playing the guitar<br>Listening to Music (Rock, some jazz and a little bit of classical music)<br>Fire Emblem (Of course)<br>Video games in general (mostly FPS and RPG)<br>Reading<br>Cooking<br>Flying (Piloting)<br>Archery

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

To be honest, I've never tried a comedy anime before o.o

I'm kind of curious now so I'll give one a watch.

I'll look up Unlimited Blade Works.

I haven't watched any that I've listed, just got them lined up to watch.

Hey everyone! If you're a KH or FF fan, please come to Castle Oblivion to discuss things about them!

Its a bit late now since the forum is practically dead. I almost keep this sig PURELY for sentimental value xD

user posted image

#4 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

If you want a good comedy I recommend Seitokai Yakuindomo Daily Lives of High School Boys. It's a pretty fun show, it uses exaggeration humor. but in a different way from say Nichijou.

As a for a great anime, I recommend Baccano! Has great characters and an amazing dub.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

Samurai Champloo is kinda old but has nice action and nice story. the art style and music are also nice, but a bit stylized (meaning it's more likely to not suit your tastes than an anime that just uses a common anime style for today's anime industry or whatever)

I'm assuming you've seen SAO II,which now has a dub (though it's kind of a WIP I guess? idk if you can access all the dubbed episodes yet, it's still airing on Toonami ATM...)

I have a few anime I plan on watching like:

Spice and Wolf, Accel World, Blue Exorcist, Berzerk, Fate/Zero and a few others I can't name off the top of my head.

I can't really recommend any of these except Fate/Zero. Fate/Zero is great. I'm guessing it has a dub, but I don't think I watched the dub myself. You might like Berserk. I don't think AW or BE are good, but meh, ultimately you can decide for yourself if you want. And S&W I don't know.

Attack on Titan is a big one, I'm guessing you've heard of it... the animation quality is stunning at some points, and it's got great action and story and music. But it's not a romance (contrary to whatever people delude themselves into believing...). There is an English dub for this one.

I *think* Assassination Classroom has a dub, btw. It's mostly a light-hearted comedy show with assassination themes, and a little bit of action/romance. It's a solid show, but somehow the manga was more enjoyable for me, haha. Also, the anime is done for now but it hasn't really concluded, so you're essentially just left at a temporary ending. I'm not sure if you'll dig that, considering it could be ages before a season 2 airs.

...Oh yeah, AoT is like that too, it's not getting a 2nd season until sometime 2016 I think, so yeah.

More recommendations:

Code Geass - Two seasons, great show, has action, romance, story, even some solid music... I can't say the art style is great, but the animation is solid for when it came out. There's a fantastic dub. I think it even has a little comedy. If you ilke dark shows, insightful shows, something that makes you want to know what happens next, or mechs, I would recommend it.

Gatchaman Crowds - Two seasons, second one is still airing. Fantastic show that's very insightful that despite not being very realistic (it has humans who can turn into these like, alien bird fighters called Gatchaman, lol) reflects the real world in various ways that just make it a great, provocative show. Also has some good action scenes, humor, a fantastic soundtrack, and more to go along with the great story. But don't expect much romance. Also, I think the first season has a dub (at least, someone licensed it, I think), but the 2nd one is still airing and probably doesn't have a dub.

Noragami - Action, comedy, romance, story. It's pretty much got it all. It only follows the manga shortly, but it's getting a 2nd season which will adapt more of the (awesome) manga. It's a great show IMO. The dub is probably crap (unlike some other shows where it's usually good enough that you're not getting a worse experience than the Japanese version), but it's certainly an option anyway, from what I know. (Good luck finding the dub though, since anime fans like to share subbed stuff, lol...)

Anything below this point doesn't have an English dub AFAIK:

Log Horizon - 2 seasons, MMORPG setting but very different from SAO. Comedy, romance, and even a bit of action (but action isn't the focus). Lots of dialog/story-telling, so that's a thing. Solid cast of characters, music, and story, but not a great budget and not a very impressive show, just a good one, IMO.

Sakurasou no Pet no Kanojo - Rom-com with some small elements of fan service and school-life... and a lot of character development/drama since it's about this guy trying to decide what he wants to do with his life and coming to terms with a lot of things like his lack of talent

Tsuritama - A fishing show that is shockingly very good. Mostly because of great character development and just some really solid execution of what seems like a simple idea. IIRC It's comedy/slice of life/growing up stuff, but it's a great, light-hearted show. I gave it a 10 on MAL, lol.

Yahari Ore no Seishun... (etc.), AKA Oregairu - A parody of the rom-com that still has a lot of comedy (satire, kinda) and is very insightful into how people think, how society thinks, relationships between people, and more. It is a parody of the rom-com but it still has some romance elements, just not the usual "main character busts in on the female characters in the nude and gets slapped" kinda stuff (actually, this kind of happens once at the end of an episode just a joke, where the main character sarcastically says "now this is more like it" or something, lol). Generally speaking, it has very flawed characters that it tries to present in a mature and realistic way, and the 2nd season is even better than the first (the budget took a huge jump and they switched animation studios or whatever), but on the down-side, don't expect much action or an overall story, it's pretty much all about developing characters, just done really well.

Zankyou no Terror - a mystery/thriller show about terrorists with some action and IIRC a tiiiiny bit of romance (maybe even a tiny bit of comedy?), it's a darker show but not like, full of despair, just kind of sad and... I dunno. It's a good show though. Very good. (IMO)

-------------

that's it, I tried not to suggest anything too crazy. let me know if you have any questions or end up finishing all that and need more suggestions, lol. though the more anime you watch, the deeper into the weird stuff you have to go, usually (or else you just have to wait for more not-trash anime to come out/be more willing to try out different things, hah).

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

I want to watch AoT but its not complete and I HATE waiting for new episodes >.<

I've seen SAO II all the way without the dubs XD

I'm actually reading the SAO novels now.

I'll look into Assassination Classroom. ^_^

Code Geass sounds good too.

Right now, I'm getting Sengoku Basara, which is supposedly good but idk yet xD

Log Horizon is sorta meh to me. I heard the anime wasn't good. I did read the first volume of the manga though, and it wasn't too bad.

Characters seemed a tad more developed than SAO though. But I still love SAO >.<

I want to say Noragami looks good too, but I've got to look more into it.

As long as the dubbing isn't terrible like Rurouni Kenshin movies some adaptations I've seen, it should be ok.

user posted image

#7 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

I want to watch AoT but its not complete and I HATE waiting for new episodes >.<

ahh I see, yeah the season is complete but the entire SHOW isn't complete. in that case, I can't suggest AC then because it's not done, also gotta scratch Log Horizon, Noragami, and Oregairu since technically they all have source material with more stuff (but Log Horizon and Oregairu are unlikely to get 3rd seasons of anime, and if they do it might not be for like 5 years because there isn't enough source content to adapt and stuff)

I've seen SAO II all the way without the dubs XD

I'm actually reading the SAO novels now.

oh wow, quite the fan huh? I like it too but not enough to jump into the novels... I'll wait for a season 3, as tough of a wait as it might be, haha. My fave part of the anime is admittedly the animation/fight scenes, and reading novels doesn't really have that, so yeahhh >>;

Log Horizon is sorta meh to me. I heard the anime wasn't good. I did read the first volume of the manga though, and it wasn't too bad.

Characters seemed a tad more developed than SAO though. But I still love SAO >.<

manga? hmm. I'm pretty sure it started off as an LN, so yeah. not sure where you heard that about the anime but it's really just "solid". again, production values are not great and it's a lot of talking but you can kind of get more of a developed/interesting plot and whatnot as well as more of an MMORPG feel from it than something like SAO, so yeah. personally I think if LH had more fight scenes and the production values of SAO, it would be better as a whole, but SAO wins as-is just out of sheer "it's more exciting to the average person" value.

I want to say Noragami looks good too, but I've got to look more into it.

As long as the dubbing isn't terrible like Rurouni Kenshin movies some adaptations I've seen, it should be ok.

dubbing mostly just irks me when they say something kind of out of character or some weird English phrase that just doesn't work IMO and sounds like a really bad/cheesy cartoon, or if they lose the meaning of something I found legitimately important or quality (idc if they change the meaning of something small/insignificant, but for instance, the AoT ruined the execution of one of my favorite moments, so I was a bit salty about that, haha)

anyway, Noragami technically isn't finished so you probably don't want to watch it lest you have to wait for more episodes, haha

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#8 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

Yeah, sort of an SAO fan >.<

Gotta say though, they leave a TON of the book out of the anime and manga.

The characters are actually a lot more developed, and there's a lot of scenes that are cut out.

After the GGO Arc (in the books), there's an arc called Alicization. The story DRASTICALLY improves. Its MUCH more detailed, and MUCH longer.

It makes the SAO, ALO, GGO, MR and Calibur Arcs look like a big prequel >.<

I really and truely hope they make it into an anime.

But hey, I love it anyway. Amazing animation + amazing music + amazing fight scenes + good romance = <3

Though a good story does matter, I'm more of an average manga/anime person. I'm planning to get into it more though ^_^

I'm much more of a gamer. I'd rather play a game with crappy graphics but good gameplay because I know appearances aren't everything in terms of how fun a game is. I wish I had a similar attitude towards anime and manga but newp >.<

I did download Assassination Classroom and am currently getting Code Geass. 

Idk what to get next. I'm thinking about this anime called Ninja Scroll or another called Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe I could get Naruto, seeing that's done. Or is the anime still going?

user posted image

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

Gotta say though, they leave a TON of the book out of the anime and manga.

The characters are actually a lot more developed, and there's a lot of scenes that are cut out.

oh yeah, I have the first light novel, and indeed, it's usually like that--they have to cut out a lot of the smaller details or the pacing of the anime might seem too slow/drawn out (cough One Piece) and not attract as much attention... it's a shame and some anime can actually be hard to keep up with or just not be that great due to poor pacing. might even be better to be ignorant of the light novels in that you might start looking down on anime once you know how often and how much content is cut-out or changed or other stuff ><

After the GGO Arc (in the books), there's an arc called Alicization. The story DRASTICALLY improves. Its MUCH more detailed, and MUCH longer.

I really and truely hope they make it into an anime.

But hey, I love it anyway. Amazing animation + amazing music + amazing fight scenes + good romance = <3

While I've heard of the arc, I don't know much about it, but I'm glad to hear it's good. we can only hope once it all wraps up, we'll get an SAO season 3... the anime is definitely popular enough, haha.

and yeah, I agree on those 3, the romance is definitely debatable/hit or miss for a lot of people though I'm cool with Kirito and Asuna, personally--I liked the foundation of their relationship, though it was executed a bit cheesily at times and wasn't explained too well in the anime... (e.g. people claim Asuna was out of character etc. in part 2 of season 1, when it was more complicated than that and Asuna was actually pretty in character, she's just not always the strong girl she acts like she is during much of SAO) and also they're a little too... upfront about it sometimes? I dunno, like Asuna talking about how much she loooves Kirito I'm like ughhh, shuuuuuut up, we know you over-emotional chestnut-haired swordswoman lol

anyway

Though a good story does matter, I'm more of an average manga/anime person. I'm planning to get into it more though ^_^

I'm much more of a gamer. I'd rather play a game with crappy graphics but good gameplay because I know appearances aren't everything in terms of how fun a game is. I wish I had a similar attitude towards anime and manga but newp >.<

mhm that's cool

nah I'm the same I have a hard time watching anime if I don't like the style, I sometimes make slight exceptions but for instance I put down this one anime, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, in less than a minute, because I just could NOT tolerate the art style/quality long enough to give it a real chance. I couldn't. it could be freaking amazing but i was too turned off by it. with games, I might still not play a game if it really looks bad, but if it just looks mediocre or a bit old, that's ok, I'm flexible on that. old anime though? generally don't dig it, haha.

manga is tough but I def. appreciate quality drawings since it's easier to keep up with it/the characters and enjoy it and all that, but generally so long as it's average and I have a decent enough idea of what's going on, I'm ok. I'd say anything worse than Tokyo Ghoul or Attack on Titan's art is... meh, and I really those manga but I can't lie, the drawings are sometimes subpar or difficult to keep up with.

I did download Assassination Classroom and am currently getting Code Geass. 

Idk what to get next. I'm thinking about this anime called Ninja Scroll or another called Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe I could get Naruto, seeing that's done. Or is the anime still going?

I'd start with those two, Code Geass is going to be a trip... AC technically isn't finished, it just stops at a decent place, I think i said that but yeah. Idk about the other two though NGE is kinda well-known/popular (haven't watched it myself though).

Naruto's manga is done but Shippuuden is still going and the dub won't be done for a while yet, so I'd maybe wait a year or 2 before tackling that, haha. it will take you a while to watch, at least... lots of filler, poor pacing, and poor animation abound, too. XP

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

I honestly want to watch One Piece but its not finished >.<

Sorta wonder if it'll end up like Bleach going on forever.

I love the characters though, so I'll definitely watch more of it someday.

I agree on the whole Kirito/Asuna thing. Call me a weirdo, but I sometimes enjoy a little cheesy-ness xD

I did love the whole scene when Asuna told Kirito that she'd "protect him."

I simply loved that line. Its something you don't see in stories ANYWHERE, let alone anime and manga. Its always the guy protecting the girl from everything. Guys aren't allowed to ask for their girls to support them without being classified as a wimp by society. That whole scene actually implies that relationships should be an equal partnership emotionally, not one where the girl leans on the guy 25/8 and the guy is some emotionless rock that has no feelings of his own.

I never show many negative emotions in real life, but if a girl came up and said something like that to me, I'd have my Wifer Rifle locked on target it'd mean a HUGE deal to me. 

The relationship is explained a lot more in the books, but it was super sudden in the anime and manga.

Not to mention, in the anime and manga it looks like she goes straight from "scary vice leader of the KoB" to "stfu and make sandwiches for Kirito."

So I can understand why it'd be underdeveloped. 

Out of all the arcs, I didn't like ALO that much. Animation and music and the like were all amazing, but the story was pretty bad compared to the original. Kirito is sort of OP (He IS the hero of an anime/manga but still), Asuna becomes a sex slave damsel in distress and is pretty much useless for the whole series xD

And then there's Leafa/Sugu. While I was ok with her character, they kinda went a little weird when it went into incest-y overtones Incest is wincest after all :D.

But Kirito is a massive ladies man that gets all teh ladies because...anime xD

I don't mind decent or ok art in manga, but in terms of anime, if there's bad animation That's worse than SAO its sorta eh to me.

Though I don't mind at all in the end, as long as its relatively well drawn. Some older anime are great even though their animation isn't amazing.

However, for their time, their animation quality was probably great.

I downloaded Ninja Scrolls anyway.

I'm trying to download Blood+, Cowboy Bebop (Heard tons about it), NGE, maaaaaaaaaybe Psycho Pass, Wolf's Rain, Eureka Seven and Claymore. So many to choose from >.<

user posted image

#11 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:07 PM

I was trying to keep my post count at 1,111 as an excuse to not invest more time into this site but SAO-bashing in pretty much any known form it takes is pretty much the ultimate bait for me to yell at people so you know the drill, PPLZ R RONG ON T3H INTERNETZ, THIS CANNOT STAND!!!!!!!1111111111

That said since I still have other things to do today I won't spend 5 college essays worth of text getting high from all the endorphins released raving over Kirito's everything.

The relationship is explained a lot more in the books, but it was super sudden in the anime and manga.

The relationship is even faster in the books, unless you go out of your way to read it chronologically, or unless you started from Progressive first (which was too late to contribute to the anime's production, not mentioning how it tends to cover what's been done without any significant changes too). The story literally starts on the 74th floor and gives you a short flashback into the 1st. You don't even see Kirito meet Asuna for the first time. The argument that it's more sudden in the anime is completely ridiculous, people just have some level of precedent to actually look at first going by the anime, precedent which is still significantly more related to leading to a romantic relationship than many, many other stories which minimizes it into presenting a hot girl, giving you an average(or even ugly) guy protagonist, giving protagonist active hormones, having them survive some plot-related hazard together and then LURVB.

Not to mention, in the anime and manga it looks like she goes straight from "scary vice leader of the KoB" to "stfu and make sandwiches for Kirito."

Considering that by episode 2 (hyper-compressed Aria in the Starless Night) Asuna wasn't even vice commander of the Knights of Blood(or in a guild at all) and she was already letting down emotional walls by the end of that episode, it's only possible to have that response from not paying attention, to every episode where Asuna shows up afterwards, too.

Out of all the arcs, I didn't like ALO that much. Animation and music and the like were all amazing, but the story was pretty bad compared to the original. Kirito is sort of OP (He IS the hero of an anime/manga but still), Asuna becomes a sex slave damsel in distress and is pretty much useless for the whole series xD 

From a storytelling viewpoint, Fairy Dance is superior to Aincrad. The plot's structure is superior and in terms of power levels relative to storytelling context, Kirito is actually less powerful than he was in Aincrad(If he wasn't, Kayaba Akihiko wouldn't have had to provide a deus ex machina, there's several other examples but that one's the most relevant), he's just hyped up somewhat more because he's supposed to be OP having carried over his Aincrad stats. Asuna's behavior also doesn't become inconsistent because it's not her that's the problem, it's the situation the author decided to put her in. The animation also decides to skimp more on the second half, and they probably only went with the way they did Kirito's final charge against the guardians in the tree because of budget reasons, in spite of how it doesn't make any sense. I'm saying all of this because while I don't like Fairy Dance either, when it comes to story criticism, it makes far more sense to target the first half. Aincrad just had more interesting ideas going for it.

But Kirito is a massive ladies man that gets all teh ladies because...anime xD

Kirito is not a girl magnet because anime. He's a girl magnet because of his fantastic supremacy over basically everyone else anybody knows in the show and anyone in real life. He's even the one to have first approached Asuna, Silica, Lisbeth, and Sinon, and when it comes to meeting people, deliberately going to even do as much as say hello is the part that's most important. (Sometimes I wonder if the reason why high school is such a prevalent setting is because you don't have to justify taking even that much action when everybody's stuffed into forced classes with a bunch of other people. It makes it easy to give a reason as to why anybody knows anyone.) The amount of idealization that goes into him as a person is overwhelmingly unrealistic and would be the reason to agree he's a Mary Sue if it wasn't for how nobody ever argues for him with that part of his character in mind. He's what happens when you take the image of a person elevated into an idol on a divinity-granting pedestal and turn it substantial. (this is the part where material for 5 college essays would show up so no more on that.)

Alicization is almost a spinoff as far as I'm concerned. It nearly minimizes the virtual aspect(and totally removes the MMO aspect) of the series in favor of a much more standardized fantasy world. Almost everything done in Alicization is something that has no unique requirement of being in an online virtual environment, for the most part, it's just fantasy novel dressed up in digital-sounding terminology.

Caliber is also not really an arc, it's just a sidestory adventure. As far as story quality goes, I would give that award to Phantom Bullet, even if it does not have as much length and detail going for it.

I'm trying to download NGE

If you're downloading the original anime, stop. It looks completely terrible. The first Rebuild movie covers a lot of the original anyway (like "basically tracing over what we already made to save budget" covers.)

Not to mention the Japanese dubs with English subs are not always accurate translations xD

Subtitles are still more accurate the vast majority of the time (sometimes you will get some weird double-machine-translated subtitles or something for some reason) simply because they have far less reasons to change what is being said, making most inaccuracies more of a matter of speed producing half-assed quality. Dubbing into another language demands a lot more, such as syncing with lip-flapping, the expectations for localization in the first place, phrases that simply sound weird spoken in another language, etc.

oh yeah, I have the first light novel, and indeed, it's usually like that--they have to cut out a lot of the smaller details or the pacing of the anime might seem too slow/drawn out (cough One Piece) and not attract as much attention... it's a shame and some anime can actually be hard to keep up with or just not be that great due to poor pacing. might even be better to be ignorant of the light novels in that you might start looking down on anime once you know how often and how much content is cut-out or changed or other stuff ><

It's easy enough for me to be desensitized to anime (that aren't anime first) being essentially extremely interesting elaborate advertisments/previews. I guess it's because I watch things like YGO, which beats out basically everything else when it comes to this kind of advertisment/preview thing.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#12 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:20 AM

Unless they're the next attack on Titan, 90% of adaptations are just glorified advertisements now a days. Cause they're no way in hell getting a second season lol.

On topic though, I seriously recommend Hunter x Hunter. It's technically not finished but the anime is and it ends at a good point with decent closure so I think you can still enjoy it. If you do go watch it make sure to watch the first episode of the original anime and then watch the rest of the 2011 anime. Blazer can support this show.

Oh, I don't recommend accel world. It suffers from all the same flaws as SAO and more, I found the premise just kind of stupid and uninspiring. Though you enjoyed SAO so you might like it.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#13 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

Accel World's protagonist is a fat loser that considers his abilities in a videogame a status equalizer to his significantly more successful colleague Takumu. (After he did, for whatever reason Takumu's girlfriend is now dating Haru instead because, uh, reasons.) He is also possessed by some form of external corruption that grants him an edge over other players(after already having the wings that make him the only avatar in the game capable of flight), and even without it is known to have a sordid disposition behind his victimized face. He is presented as a beginner to the system and thus provides more conflict and opportunity for natural exploration of the setting, leading to proper progression with the plot, and consistently providing opportunities for character development and ability progression. The heroine is the kind of person who has a nightmare over who she likes(for some reason) becoming popular with his peers as a result of gaining height and losing weight, and thus prefers to keep him the way he currently is as it is easier to keep him under her possession doing so.

Basically, because they are shittier people, the story is considered to be of superior quality due to heightened relatability factors and unpredictability in how often the protagonist can win. It is what many critics use as something they claim the author of SAO does right in comparison to the significantly more popular SAO. (I would have mentioned more details, but fortunately I forgot most of Accel World and intend to keep it that way.)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:18 AM

I read some of the two big posts but I'm tired and don't have much time now so if I respond to it, it'll have to be later

Unless they're the next attack on Titan, 90% of adaptations are just glorified advertisements now a days. Cause they're no way in hell getting a second season lol.

On topic though, I seriously recommend Hunter x Hunter. It's technically not finished but the anime is and it ends at a good point with decent closure so I think you can still enjoy it. If you do go watch it make sure to watch the first episode of the original anime and then watch the rest of the 2011 anime. Blazer can support this show.

Oh, I don't recommend accel world. It suffers from all the same flaws as SAO and more, I found the premise just kind of stupid and uninspiring. Though you enjoyed SAO so you might like it.

I don't suggest HxH because he said he wanted dubs and HxH doesn't have a dub. Also, there's hardly any romance, the music outside of the endings isn't that great, and it's kind of dark, which I don't know if he'll like. Also, as Cero said, the anime might be done for now but the series as a whole isn't really technically done (manga is on hiatus). So while it's solid, I can't suggest it to you, because I don't like to suggest anime just because they're good. :\

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 04:28 AM

Accel World's protagonist is a fat loser that considers his abilities in a videogame a status equalizer to his significantly more successful colleague Takumu. (After he did, for whatever reason Takumu's girlfriend is now dating Haru instead because, uh, reasons.) He is also possessed by some form of external corruption, and even without it is known to have a sordid disposition behind his victimized face. He is presented as a beginner to the system and thus provides more conflict and opportunity for natural exploration of the setting, leading to proper progression with the plot, and consistently providing opportunities for character development and ability progression. The heroine is the kind of person who has a nightmare over who she likes(for some reason) becoming popular with his peers as a result of gaining height and losing weight, and thus prefers to keep him the way he currently is as it is easier to keep him under her possession doing so.

Basically, because they are shittier people, the story is considered to be of superior quality due to heightened relatability factors and unpredictability in how often the protagonist can win. It is what many critics use as something they claim the author of SAO does right in comparison to the significantly more popular SAO. (I would have mentioned more details, but fortunately I forgot most of Accel World and intend to keep it that way.)

I didn't watch a lot of Accel World but this sounds about right

as far SAO, it's kind of better not to think too much about that show, I think. better to just shut your mind off and enjoy *shot*

EDIT: yes, I double-posted. because I'm lazy... and I can

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#16 Nils

Nils

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:21 PM

Its not the best anime in the world, but I'll give AW a watch at least. 

I agree with you on Alicization, I haven't read the whole thing yet so I don't know the full story, but I guess it is more of a fantasy novel in a virtual world. Its more VR-world rather than VRMMO.

I'll probably watch Wolf's Rain too...it sounds interesting.

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users