Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Pkmn Black/White2

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Interests:dingleberries

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

I haz it~

After 2 1/2 hours of monotonous level grinding/catching pokemon I have:

Snivy-lvl12
Swaddle-lvl12
Riolul-lvl9
Azuril-lvl8
Purrloin-lvl8

Its messed up cuz the area where I was grinding was all low level, and some asshat wouldn't let me go past him without a gym badge so I couldn't find some high levels to train on. Blah.
user posted image

#2 Mikki

Mikki

Ultra Member

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (Zepher Tensho @ Oct 7 2012, 02:45 PM)
I haz it~

After 2 1/2 hours of monotonous level grinding/catching pokemon I have:

Snivy-lvl12
Swaddle-lvl12
Riolul-lvl9
Azuril-lvl8
Purrloin-lvl8

Its messed up cuz the area where I was grinding was all low level, and some asshat wouldn't let me go past him without a gym badge so I couldn't find some high levels to train on. Blah.

How are you liking Black and White 2? I'm planning on getting it for my birthday that's in a couple of weeks.

#3 Germanicus

Germanicus

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:fire emblem<br>running<br>most rpgs (radiata stories, skies of arcadia, and so on)<br>the ladies(of course)<br>History

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Are there any new gyms or pokemon in this game? I'm having trouble telling what the difference is supposed to be between this and the original black/white.

#4 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Has the metagame been fixed at all? I recall Black and White was mostly a sweeper's delight and probability of winning was more dependant on what team was lined up against what as opposed to your actual strategic competence.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#5 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Germanicus-No, its still the same 649 lol. The gyms are different tho. And the difference between the two is clearly the fact that this takes place 2 years after the first Black/White. Team Plasma has resurfaced with a new plan that you have to stop.

Kirant- I....don't know what you mean by metagame. Or sweepers delight. And your team always affects how you fight lol. If you go up against a fire gym with all grass types, I don't think strategy is gonna do a whole lot lol.

Also I'm up to three badges now o3o
Its starting to get easier now that my team's getting stronger.

Asus(Lucario)-lvl21
Yoh(Servine)-lvl20
Awa(Azumarill)-lvl20
Kojaku(Whirlipede)-lvl23
Genesect-lvl20
Konoha(Leavanny)-lvl21

Oh, and, HOW THE **** DO POKEMON CHANGE GENDER RANDOMLY?? Seriously, my azurill was female when I caught her, but upon evolving into Marill, IT TURNED INTO A COLT!! WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!!
user posted image

#6 Mikki

Mikki

Ultra Member

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Zepher Tensho @ Oct 8 2012, 04:20 PM)
Germanicus-No, its still the same 649 lol. The gyms are different tho. And the difference between the two is clearly the fact that this takes place 2 years after the first Black/White. Team Plasma has resurfaced with a new plan that you have to stop.

Kirant- I....don't know what you mean by metagame. Or sweepers delight. And your team always affects how you fight lol. If you go up against a fire gym with all grass types, I don't think strategy is gonna do a whole lot lol.

Also I'm up to three badges now o3o
Its starting to get easier now that my team's getting stronger.

Asus(Lucario)-lvl21
Yoh(Servine)-lvl20
Awa(Azumarill)-lvl20
Kojaku(Whirlipede)-lvl23
Genesect-lvl20
Konoha(Leavanny)-lvl21

Oh, and, HOW THE **** DO POKEMON CHANGE GENDER RANDOMLY?? Seriously, my azurill was female when I caught her, but upon evolving into Marill, IT TURNED INTO A COLT!! WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!!

That is so weird. o_o Cool team though.

#7 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Zepher Tensho @ Oct 8 2012, 02:20 PM)

Metagame is generally called "competitive battling", where you line up level 100s, EV trained and all, and fight. Tiers are set up and banlists of pokemon which are too powerful created. Think playing an online battle against people...except, with focus on the details of your moveset, your item pick, and your team selection.

In RBY, this was heavily based on getting 1-2 pokemon set up. Alakazam and Mewtwo were obvious bans.

In the era of GSC, this gameplay was generally very slow and methodical. A hard hitter would struggle to get by the heavy shields like Snorlax or Lapras.

In RSE/FRLG, this was pretty balanced, though typing was very important.

In DPPt/HGSS, the gameplay got a little faster and emphasized on Stealth Rocks. The split of physical and special attacks meant you could use an attack heavy Fire Type, but also made fire and flying types semi-worthless because everybody had Stealth Rocks ready. It was a good split of tanking and sweeping (Just slamming your opponent with the hardest attack you could)

When BW hit, the high base stats and focus on attack stats over defensive made it such that you're reliant on your direct damage attacks. I seriously can't play a competitive game and basically just screw around if I do that, using attacks that rely on luck and insanity than actual strategy

I'm wondering if that changed.

The story you can get by with 1-2 high level sweepers.

RedBlue.png

#8 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (kirant @ Oct 8 2012, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (Zepher Tensho @ Oct 8 2012, 02:20 PM)

Metagame is generally called "competitive battling", where you line up level 100s, EV trained and all, and fight. Tiers are set up and banlists of pokemon which are too powerful created. Think playing an online battle against people...except, with focus on the details of your moveset, your item pick, and your team selection.

In RBY, this was heavily based on getting 1-2 pokemon set up. Alakazam and Mewtwo were obvious bans.

In the era of GSC, this gameplay was generally very slow and methodical. A hard hitter would struggle to get by the heavy shields like Snorlax or Lapras.

In RSE/FRLG, this was pretty balanced, though typing was very important.

In DPPt/HGSS, the gameplay got a little faster and emphasized on Stealth Rocks. The split of physical and special attacks meant you could use an attack heavy Fire Type, but also made fire and flying types semi-worthless because everybody had Stealth Rocks ready. It was a good split of tanking and sweeping (Just slamming your opponent with the hardest attack you could)

When BW hit, the high base stats and focus on attack stats over defensive made it such that you're reliant on your direct damage attacks. I seriously can't play a competitive game and basically just screw around if I do that, using attacks that rely on luck and insanity than actual strategy

I'm wondering if that changed.

The story you can get by with 1-2 high level sweepers.

Lol I never put that much thought into any of the games >w>;;
And I wouldn't say its as easy as using just 1 or 2 strong pokemon.

user posted image

#9 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

It kind of is if you choose to do that, anyway. Using a team of 6 with normal levels would be harder, somewhat, but eh.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#10 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Oct 9 2012, 10:56 AM)
It kind of is if you choose to do that, anyway. Using a team of 6 with normal levels would be harder, somewhat, but eh.

The thing is in Pokemon, the stats are a strong function of level. That's why it's better to smash with a high powered attack beast than it is to spread out. You can easily overcome weaknesses that way.

The last 3 generations of story generally come down to "Get Gyrados or Haxerous. Sweep with well rounded moveset". Nothing in story lives. The only exception I remember is Red.

It's why BW had to introduce a scale that decreases experience received by lower level pokemon KOs. Jokes on them though - it's still too easy to sweep with a high level single (it's never by that much either...4-5 levels above your opponent will make it almost impossible for them to stop your sweeper)

RedBlue.png

#11 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

I dunno. Theres always the chance of an enemy getting a random critical and taking out a pokemon 4-5 levels higher.
user posted image

#12 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Zepher Tensho @ Oct 9 2012, 11:24 PM)
I dunno. Theres always the chance of an enemy getting a random critical and taking out a pokemon 4-5 levels higher.

That's why the terms "strong attacks" and "sweeper" come into mix.

A strong sweeper means you'll always get first strike, a massive advantage. A strong sweeper is likely to only take 20-40% from a normal attack, and 40-80% from a raw critical, while defeating opponents in 1-2 moves. Since battles are so short in the newer games, you're basically guaranteed a win.

Plus, since you get so many items, if a lucky critical or super effective attack does work, you'll have stockpiles of revives and healing items ready. It's few opportunities and far between that this occurs though. I can recall it happening at max 2-3 times in the story part of any game.

Seriously, but the time I reach end-story game (and generally only by fighting trainers), I've got 30+ revives, 100+ super repels (most cost effective repel), and 70+ hyper potions. "Final boss" opponents like BW's Cynthia are trivial challenges (granted, it doesn't help that Haxorus is one of the most broken in-game Pokemon too that you don't mind EV ruining)...even moreso than if you managed to find a Thick Club Marowak.

This strategy does unbound and become ineffective at opponents of even higher level AND have a balanced team, but the only name that pops up with that is Red. Nobody outlevels you with concept except for him and the AI is so breakable that even if they do, for the most part, it doesn't hurt.

RedBlue.png

#13 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (kirant @ Oct 10 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (Zepher Tensho @ Oct 9 2012, 11:24 PM)

That's why the terms "strong attacks" and "sweeper" come into mix.

A strong sweeper means you'll always get first strike, a massive advantage. A strong sweeper is likely to only take 20-40% from a normal attack, and 40-80% from a raw critical, while defeating opponents in 1-2 moves. Since battles are so short in the newer games, you're basically guaranteed a win.

Plus, since you get so many items, if a lucky critical or super effective attack does work, you'll have stockpiles of revives and healing items ready. It's few opportunities and far between that this occurs though. I can recall it happening at max 2-3 times in the story part of any game.

Seriously, but the time I reach end-story game (and generally only by fighting trainers), I've got 30+ revives, 100+ super repels (most cost effective repel), and 70+ hyper potions. "Final boss" opponents like BW's Cynthia are trivial challenges (granted, it doesn't help that Haxorus is one of the most broken in-game Pokemon too that you don't mind EV ruining)...even moreso than if you managed to find a Thick Club Marowak.

This strategy does unbound and become ineffective at opponents of even higher level AND have a balanced team, but the only name that pops up with that is Red. Nobody outlevels you with concept except for him and the AI is so breakable that even if they do, for the most part, it doesn't hurt.

Well this game definitely isn't that easy lol. The champion kicked my ass up and down. No "sweeping" there. Her Haxorus was 1 shotting my entire team. Took a lot of strategy to take him out....on that note heres my latest update:

The hall of fame team:

Zoroark - lvl64
Genesect - lvl62
Yoh(Serperior) - lvl61
Hinamori(Cinccino) - lvl57
Asus(Lucario) - lvl63
Konoha(Leavanny) - lvl60

Transfered over Emily(gardevoir), Yuki(weavile), Sam(Scrafty), and my Lugia from PKMN White 1. Caught Zekrom and Kyruem and fused them into Black Kyruem. I also transfered Mina, my girl Serperior over, and put her in the daycare with Yoh, a boy Serperior. They’re making eggs faster than I can hatch them! Horny snakes~

So far I hatched one boy, who inherited Leaf Blade and Giga Drain~

user posted image

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

So even though I could get this game rather quickly I simply haven't (pre-occupied etc.) and I want to know, is it a good game? Is it fun and worth the time investment? Not really worried about money but is it a relatively good Pokemon game or is it just another one kind of thrown in the mix? :|

Thanks for any insight you guys can give!

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 Mikki

Mikki

Ultra Member

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Oct 23 2012, 05:04 PM)
So even though I could get this game rather quickly I simply haven't (pre-occupied etc.) and I want to know, is it a good game? Is it fun and worth the time investment? Not really worried about money but is it a relatively good Pokemon game or is it just another one kind of thrown in the mix? :|

Thanks for any insight you guys can give!

It's a good game, actually. A huge improvement from Black and White.

ANYWAY.

Here's my progress:

Team Banzai: (Random team name, sue me.)
Servine
Sandile (Debating between Sandile or Drilbur. I'm using Excadrill on Black, so I don't wanna repeat.)
Azumarill (1st fully evolved Pokemon w00t!)
Riolu (Lucario is cool, bro.)
Pidove (for nao. I want a Swellow.)
Growlithe (Definitely waiting until 56 to evolve the little guy. He's so cute.)

Again, sue me for a terrible team. D: Well, I think it's terrible.

#16 Cheshire

Cheshire

Stranger with Candy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Everything Zen

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

Man. will they ever be satisfied?

The original games are still the best.
"Boney gets a boney thinking about Chesh's purring cat."

user posted image

#17 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

Go Yellow version! That Pikachu
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

#18 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

Honestly this is probably my favorite pokémon game out there. The story is somewhat good and it has the prevalence in the series. Also there is a good amount of post-game events to do so you don't get bored of it after beating the elite four. Plus Colress' theme is awesome.

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#19 Mikki

Mikki

Ultra Member

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

Honestly this is probably my favorite pokémon game out there. The story is somewhat good and it has the prevalence in the series. Also there is a good amount of post-game events to do so you don't get bored of it after beating the elite four. Plus Colress' theme is awesome.

^
This.

Seriously though, after you beat the Elite Four back in Black and White, there wasn't much you could do afterward. And when there's not much to do....well, what's the point? D: I'm not bashing B/W, but B/W 2 definitely filled in the parts that B/W 1 was missing.

9/10 for sure.

#20 Zepher Tensho

Zepher Tensho

herp

• Veterans
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

Well you could hunt down the 7 Sages of Team Plasma but you didn't get to fight them. And rechallenge the E4 with higher levels but thats meh.
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users