Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Mug Critiquing PLZ

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

user posted image

I just need some advice on how I can straighten up my mugs. Especially my top left one, my Jerme splice and the sain splice beside him. The Jerme splice seems to always turn out too tall, and I don't really want to cut any parts off...as for the top left I just don't like it for some reason, and I need to fix up the rest of them. Also, I'm working on a generic knight mug as well and working on a full face covering helmet. Critiquing would be appreciated XD

#2 Sielrok

Sielrok

The Water Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Playing video games, modding, Reading, SWIMMING :DD

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

hmm...they actually look alright to me.the 2 odd ones are the astol and(Pent?) Splice.the collar and eye glass lood weird.the second is the Natasha splice.the eyes look creepy XD
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

#3 Fitz24

Fitz24

The man, the myth, the Fitz.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Sielrok @ Aug 14 2011, 09:08 AM)
hmm...they actually look alright to me.the 2 odd ones are the astol and(Pent?) Splice.the collar and eye glass lood weird.the second is the Natasha splice.the eyes look creepy XD

They aren't all "alright". I understand you're probably new to spriting as well, which is fine...they used to look alright to me as well. XD

1) Pick a color scheme, FE6, FE7 or FE8. Most people choose FE8 due to it being the most vibrant.

2) The hair for a couple of them just look ugly. (The 7th & 14th mostly). Fix that.

3) The full helmet is bad. It's completely unaligned. It has potential to look good if it becomes aligned.

4) You say your Jerme splice is too large? Just chop off some of the arm and chest until it fits.

Best Splice - The Babza one, it's very clean. Not perfect, but easily the best.
user posted image

Check out my Let's Plays!
http://www.youtube.c...tz?feature=mhum

Leif is the greatest character ever.

#4 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thanks. Yeah I've been hearing the same thing about the color scheme thing. I'll fix that then. Its mostly about some of them colors being too dull while the others are bright right? Or were you saying that it wasnt good to use colors outside of the FE games? Because I think only one or two do.

2) Yeah. Like for a few, I just had to improvise for the time being XD. As for the 7th one, I've been hearing something about the coloring for the hair being off as well? Not really sure what's up about that.

3) Yeah I see that...Would you suggest fixing up the face guard or the angle of the actual helmet to work towards aligning it?

4) I was trying to avoid that though. Just because the height that would be normal would almost be close to just being his top shoulders on the bottom and going into his neck. Guss its unavoidable though..

Also, for the 14th one, do you sugguest not using that hair? Because I think I just straight up took Karel's hair from FE6

#5 Blood Falcon

Blood Falcon

Halo fan

• Banned
  • 1,079 posts
  • Location:On your mom's bed. Under the covers with your mom. Showing off. My glow in the dark watch.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

Top row( left to right):
1. He has a disformed head, get rid of the head and replace it with a new one. Also, like Fitz said, you can't take colors from more than one FE game and put it on a mug.
2.What the hell is going on with her boobs? Just keep her boobs the same way as Ursula's and you'll be fine.
3. The part of the helmet where there are vertical holes, remove that. The angle is off and just makes things look awkward.
4. What you'll find with MANY mug possibilities is that the head is too big or too small for the body, in this case, it's too big.
5.The shoulderpad looks awkward on him, fix some of the deep black shading surrounding the shoulderpad.

Middle row( left to right):
1. The head is too small for the body, and the skin colors on the face on body seem different.
2. Fe8 colors and FE7 colors don't go together, recolor the FE7 parts with Sain and you should be fine.
3. He needs bigger eyes, definitely bigger eyes.
4. Not enough shading on the face and the eyes don't go together well with the face.
5. Same fate as top row, number 3.

Bottom row( left to right):
1. The helmet is not shaded enough and the silver thing is off angle a bit.
2. Get rid of that smile, it looks horrible on him, get rid of that elf ear, and make sure the skin colors on the whole body is the same.
3. Same fate as middle row 1.
4. Not NEAR enough shading on the forehead, once when that's done, I'll critique further.
5. The whole body seems cramped up, and the shoulderpad is far too small. And once again, don't mix multiple FE games' colors together.

user posted image
Use that mug as a shading reference, it should help.
user posted image

I won't remove this until I have gotten an overkill extermination in Halo MLG.-started August 13, 2010, 8-13-2010 Got it on December 18, 2010! WOOT!
I won't remove this until I get a killtacular in Halo MLG- Started December 29, 2010.
Bloodfalcon22-pokemanzz cnt dye
FELover3- If I beat the shit out of them they do

Rujio -- Cows are more important than anything.
Rujio -- ANYTHING

Blood Falcon -- Hey bblues, are you able to ban the GoogleBot?
bblues -- I don't think so.
Blood Falcon -- Damn, lol.
bblues -- He's above the law : P

QUOTE (Grey_Tensho @ March 10, 2010 04:07 pm)
Bloodfalcon is as crazy over copyright as youtube is lol.

#6 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback. And okay, so these are a few of the ones I recolored and remade:
user posted image

I still think the 2nd one is off...but I'm going to worry about the eyes and the face overall later, I'm mostly wondering about the coloring and the whole body's cleanliness. Also the 2nd row, 3rd mug, I'm going to change the hair color, just not now. And for the bottom 4, those are some more I remade that I would like to be critiqued. Pretty basic but I'll be using them alot.

Also, Blood Falcon, I made most of the corrections you suggested as you can see above, but about the one with Fa's ears, I'm planning it to be a dragon, and I don't want regular ears. Do you just suggest not making them as pointy? And with the goofy grin, yeah okay, but I still kinda want the tooth hanging out of his mouth. Kinda is what makes him who he is to me XD. And for the last one on the Second row, idk, I fixed a few colors, but for the most part, I'm pretty sure he was all FE8 colors.

#7 Blood Falcon

Blood Falcon

Halo fan

• Banned
  • 1,079 posts
  • Location:On your mom's bed. Under the covers with your mom. Showing off. My glow in the dark watch.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:01 AM

Dude, never ever replace an image in the first post. Ever. You can add images, not take them out, it confuses people, and I want to compare how the previous ones were to the ones now.

So I'll just critique the ones that I see now.
Top row( left to right):
1. Good job, looks good, though her arm seems a bit fat, may just be me.
2. Left eye( OPV) needs to be moved a few pixels to the left.
3.Where the clothing touches the shoulderpad, replace the black with the darkest clothing shade on that mug.
4. He looks to scrunched up, and the mouth is wtf. Just scrap it and start over with new people, it's very difficult to change a body that's too big or small.
Middle row( left to right):
1. He has herp derp eyes, fix that.
2. Same fate as top row, 4.
3. You didn't correctly follow my advice about colors. I guess I'll give a theoretical example. You take FE6 Marcus' head and splice onto Kyle's head, though there's something you have to do afterwards. Since the colors of the two people are from two different games, you have to pick a color scheme from one game and recolor the mug that needs to be recolored. Here's an example of a simple 3-person mug I made quickly:
user posted image
I used Rath, Innes, and Seth. Now since Rath is from FE7, and Innes is from FE8, I decided to use FE8's colors since they looked nicer. So I took Innes' skin color and recolored Rath's skin. As for the bandana, I recolored it to be the same as Duessel's armor. I hope you understand and fix it.
4. Same fate as the previous one.
Bottom row( left to right):
1. Making a mug of a black person is an often mistake beginning spriters make( no it's not racist, it's truth), the reason why you can't is because there just aren't any appropriate colors for the skin.
2. Looks like an old FE4 mug, the hair is far too poofy, other than that, good.
3. Partially the same fate as bottom row, 1.

Regarding the dragon, it looked NOTHING like a tooth, get rid of it or try to figure out some way to fix it.
user posted image

I won't remove this until I have gotten an overkill extermination in Halo MLG.-started August 13, 2010, 8-13-2010 Got it on December 18, 2010! WOOT!
I won't remove this until I get a killtacular in Halo MLG- Started December 29, 2010.

Rujio -- ANYTHING

#8 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:42 AM

That was an accident when I was trying to put in the mugs I just put in, but with the shading on one's eye fixed. I put the original mugs back though.

Top Row:
1. Yeah it was originally armor, so that's why. It's been looking weird to me too, I'm just not sure what to do with it. Whether to try to shrink it, or attempt to splice another shoulder in there. But that may look sloppy.

4. No problem scrapping it, but I mean, I have like 4 different edits of the linus body with different sizes and edits in them. Like the one there. The only thing is I havent really changed the height of them.

Middle Row
1. I'm trying to go for a narrowed eye look, but most of them look too small. Or is it just that I don't have them aligned right?
3. Ohh...well you told me to fix the shading on his forehead and that was all. After that I didnt even check his colors. I'll fix that. But for 4. I was pretty sure those were all FE8 colors. Hair color is Joshua's clothes color. Clothing was one of the mugs, idr which. The only possibility is the skin I think, but I think I recolored it too.

Bottom Row:
1. Err...Okay? I mean, getting the shades for a black person, can be improvised though right? I mean, sure there aren't any "exact" ones, but as far as working out, I think it fits alright for a start.

2. FE4 mug? XD As far as "poofy" are you referring to on the sides or in the front? Also, is it just me or is her head alittle big?

And okay, I'll probably just take off the tooth then. But for ears, your not suggesting using Fa's? I could just cut them a bit so they arent as long.

#9 Blood Falcon

Blood Falcon

Halo fan

• Banned
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:31 AM

Top:
1. Who's body did you originally use?
Middle:
1. It's not working, at all, trust me, I know from personal experience. Do what I suggested, it will look much better.
3. My bad, but still with the Sain one. The skin colors are FE7, take a closer look at least when I critique you on it.
Bottom row:
1. No, not really, most of the time the skin color is darker than the color outline color, which is a BIG no-no.
2. The whole hair is too big, it makes the mug look like a GBA version of a FE4 character.
user posted image

Rujio -- ANYTHING

#10 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

1. She's a mix between Selena Ursula and Lyn. The most part of her though is Selena with a few edits here and there. So that explains her shoulder.

Middle:
1. Always glad to have expert advice XD. No big deal to change the eyes to make then bigger.
3. Okay, so it is the skin then. Kk no prob, I'll fix that in the next update then.

Bottom:
1. So Only were I have an outline darker than the skin tone could I use a black mug? And so what about the light skinned mug I had? Does that still not work? I think I originally used Hawkeye's skin tone for her and edited it alittle.
2. Gotcha, so its the hair making her head look too big then.

Thanks for the advice

#11 Blood Falcon

Blood Falcon

Halo fan

• Banned
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:42 PM

Top row:
1. I suggest putting Selena's shoulder back.
Middle row:
1. I never suggested to make the eyes bigger, I suggested to move the left eye( OPV) a few pixels to the left.
Bottom:
1. The outline in a mug has to be the darkest color in the mug no matter the mug. The tan colored one seems fine to me.

No problem, I'm more than happy to help.
user posted image

Rujio -- ANYTHING

#12 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

Well I've made a few edits to a few of the mugs and added some of my older ones I want to edit in here as well.

user posted image

Top Row:
1. I attempted to remake an addition to her shoulder, I think it's okay for now at least.
4. I redid her skin and hair color

Middle Row:
1. Oh...Well...I added bigger eyes, but I liked the others better so I'll just fix the left one like you said.
2. I tried to change the skin tone then to make him still black, but a lighter shade.
3 and 4. Changed the colors to all FE8

Bottom Row:
1. If the above brown skin tone is still too dark, I'll just go with this tint.

The other 3 are some of my older mugs and works in progress. For the last one, I know his head is too small for the body, but this is an older mug to one of my previous ones, so I need to find a way to just resize the body. Any advice?

#13 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:21 AM

Also, after referring to the Blind Archer's skintone references, I got another skin change for the black mug.

user posted image

I honestly want him alittle darker, but apparently he's too dark in the previous versions of him so that will be a work in progress I guess.

#14 Blood Falcon

Blood Falcon

Halo fan

• Banned
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:38 AM

I never ever said to make his eyes bigger, please read the full critique. What I said was to move the left eye( OPV) a few pixels to the left, NOT make his eye/s bigger, he looks like late FE7 Nergal with those bigger eyes. Just curious, what happened to the images in your previous posts?
user posted image

Rujio -- ANYTHING

#15 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Those are still being worked on, and when I finish editing what was wrong with them, I'lll repost those also.

#16 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

user posted image

Here are some of the ones I edited:

I took apart the helmet and just put up the helms I had used to make the old test version of the one I had before. Then Just recolored them.

I recolored my dragon, and fixed his mouth from a smile. Idk what to with the "tooth" yet. Still working on that, but I slightly changed it.

Fixed the "herp derp" guy's eyes. Also, the one you had told me to move over was the one on the top row in the last image. But still, you didnt say make it bigger so yeah.

The last one on the top row, I resized the body again slightly to see if it looked better now. Honestly, I can't really tell if that one is too big or not. The next from the last on the bottom row is what my natasha splice actually looks like. The other mug is her in a...well, I can't explain it but it's almost like a more sinister version of her.

My astol splice, I fixed the shoulderpad with 2 different ones to see which looked better.

#17 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:28 AM

More Edits!

I'm really into making older sprites and I'm in the process of making some for my custom characters, and then two for my Myrrh and Nils based characters after darkening their colors a bit to match the coloring I'm using:

user posted image

For the Myrrh based sprite, Snowe, I'm still deciding on her color scheme so I'm testing her original colors, then just a few other changes
user posted image

#18 -|Mark975|-

-|Mark975|-

Spriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Playing games, Hanging out, other stuff

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

I really like those ( Go Nils! ) but on Myrrh's older version her eyes dont really fit in.

NarutoUzumaki-TeenKid.png

#19 Ryoji

Ryoji

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

Yeah, I'm trying to make Nils and Myrrh more custom than just recoloring them, or adding in their older mugs for some kind of character customization. But I don't see what you mean about Myrrh's eyes.

#20 Sea Lion

Sea Lion

Great Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:I play rugby and run cross country. Beyond that I act and I read alot.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

The eyes are either too high on her face or too narrow, I can't tell which, possibly both. Making the eyes smaller as you get older doesn't really make any sense, your body wouldn't degenerate, they should stay around the same size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users