Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  xcrash1998 : (26 February 2020 - 09:55 AM) Not anymore
@  Mage Girl : (17 February 2020 - 02:33 AM) I can safely say I'm so far the only person to post to this shoutbox in 2020...
@  Fire Blazer : (24 December 2019 - 03:17 AM) naw, it's when the bots make collaborated efforts to crawl places, lol
@  kirant : (23 December 2019 - 05:20 AM) What do we do on Index Day? Give each other bots?
@  Fire Blazer : (16 December 2019 - 01:39 AM) LOL
@  xcrash1998 : (30 November 2019 - 11:07 PM) New fictional holiday "Index Day"
@  Fire Blazer : (28 November 2019 - 08:52 PM) yeah just guest bots and stuff I think :( we really were active once upon a time though...
@  kirant : (26 November 2019 - 03:48 PM) No invasion. I imagine a lot of guest bots visiting for indexing purposes.
@  xcrash1998 : (26 November 2019 - 02:15 PM) How is most people online at 959 for the 8th of October of this year? Is that right? Did I miss something or was there somekind of spambot invasion?
@  xcrash1998 : (26 November 2019 - 02:06 PM) I know what you mean, it gets awkard to post something unrelated to the current conversation, and even if somebody picks up on it, it would just become a huge mess in the c hatbox if a multitude of groups talk about different topics.
@  Fire Blazer : (10 November 2019 - 11:45 PM) especially better imo if you want to update on a topic but like only occasionally (e.g. a project you're working on or a let's play of a game)
@  Fire Blazer : (10 November 2019 - 11:44 PM) it's hard for me to explain precisely why but forums just like work better for meaningful discussion over a longer period of time ig
@  Fire Blazer : (10 November 2019 - 11:44 PM) but that's def just not hte same ig, idk
@  Fire Blazer : (10 November 2019 - 11:44 PM) yeah, you can also kind of respond at your own pace on forums. Discord conversations are often like... it's awkward to respond to something that happened a while ago, especially if the server is active, but even just in general. since you sort of need to keep track of multiple conversations at once at times, and it's not like it has a good reply/quote system ala forums, closest thing really is to copy/paste or screenshot the text you're responding to and then type a response below
@  Elwood : (09 November 2019 - 11:29 AM) Adding on to what's been said, I just enjoy the order and structure of the forums. You can look through the threads and know exactly what people are talking about. Conversation get lost and buried on discord which is why I'm not a big fan of it.
@  kirant : (06 November 2019 - 05:31 AM) I enjoy that part of forums too. They become niche communities where you can have very specialized conversations as opposed to the cluttered mess in Discord.
@  Ezra : (31 October 2019 - 01:17 AM) Yeah, part of me wishes I could go back to the times forums were more prevalent. I really enjoyed how even several different forums based off the same franchise could feel so different. It's not like what we now is bad though, I just feel nostalgic for old times.
@  Fire Blazer : (30 October 2019 - 06:39 AM) also forums in general are just not as prevalent, there are so many other ways to interact these days, like Twitter, FB, Tumblr, etc., where you can just throw your thoughts into the void. I think that's the real issue and that the only people rly interested in forums these days are either super dedicated to whatever they're about, have a specific reason/need to (e.g. support forums), or grew up with them and are thus attached to the idea enough to continue to try and use them (this was kinda me for a while lol but things happen, I couldn't keep it up forever)
@  Fire Blazer : (30 October 2019 - 06:36 AM) I've posted on SF for various reasons ofc but in terms of like making friends and stuff it's p. much just been smaller groups/forums, yeah. mainly FES
@  Elwood : (27 October 2019 - 10:08 PM) Only reason I'm even on Serenes was because I had hacking questions. @Ezra yeah I figured it must be an age thing. I've been called an old man by many a child because I use Facebook.

Photo

kirant plays X-COM EW, Long War

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

Okay, so as I just mentioned in the Draft topic, I finally got X-COM's Long War mod working for X-COM: Enemy Within. It's a mod fairly famous for being difficult (but not overly so), deep, and intricate. It emphasizes the fact that soldiers get tired, hurt, and are very squishy.

So far I've been naming them after my designed characters and friends. Despite not having lost anyone over 5 missions so far, I suspect based on the number of soldiers I've hired, I'll need more names.

So if you ever wanted to be a soldier and see what happens when I command you...now's the time to find out.

All I need from you:
- Name (first and last of some variety). And nickname if you survive long enough to get one. Fun note, the game auto-named a fighter pilot of mine to "Bender" Rodriguez. He is so going to be called on every intercept mission I can possible send him on.
- Class you'd like. There are:
--- Infantry. They fight in the trenches and do all the heavy lifting. If you ever wanted to be an underrated hero, now's the time.
--- Assault. Swift moving, quick striking, hard hitting.
--- Scout. Exactly what it says. They are hard to hit, deal good damage, and provide support for a team in the form of suppression and improving ally accuracy
--- Sniper. Exactly what it says again. Shoot from far away, kill stuff, and probably get killed when I forget that cloaked enemies like to flank you.
--- Gunner. You remember Orks? More dakka? That's about right.
--- Rocketeer. If you like exploding stuff, here's your chance.
--- Medic. I'll make sure they don't shoot you first.
--- Engineer. Supportive grenades mostly. But you also can fix our mechanized weapons.
--- Also let me know if you'd like to become a humanoid mech later on. You become so fat people can hide behind you in quite a literal sense.
- General unit style. You can be equipped with heavy armour if you want, grenades, cloaking...all that sort of stuff.
- General visual descriptors. Like skin colour you'd like (they classify by race, then by pigment), hair style and colour (anime hair is possible), armour, and armour colour.

I'll be sure to post missions were we show up.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#2 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

whoops, missed this tongue.gif

- Allen Yolorin; nickname is "Yolo"
- Rocketeer
- Light armor, hand-gun, cloaking... is that okay?
- Tanish, not very pale but not yellowish/darker
- well-combed hair, brown
- armor color can be green or something, I don't care too much

I'm not too late, am I? sad.gif

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#3 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

No, but for about 3 in game months you are a suicidal scout named Fire Blazer

RedBlue.png

#4 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

Oh right, I forgot to post too.

Name: Rin Merumi, nickname Fish of course
Class: Gunner, I suppose
Unit style: As a general rule, focused on a mix of offense and defense. Heavy armor works. Mobility would be a weakness, if we're going for balanced units.
General visuals:
-Skin: pretty white
-Hair: blonde Yu Narukami
-Armor: Whatever works for style, and for colors, maybe something dark blue-ish unless that looks like butt

Let me know if I need to add more or clarify.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#5 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

^
Class: Gunner

Now to explain why there's a Sniper named Smashed Fish for a few months. Must be an imposter.

Time to get him killed biggrin.gif

EDIT - Before I forget, I've got ~1600 images so far and I haven't done much in the story so far...so...this could take a while to put into writing. Or find an image host that won't ragequit on me for that many images.

RedBlue.png

#6 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

you're free to use FES as an image host. you can mass-upload images via FTP, the only "problem" would be getting the URLs but it's not terribly bad (especially if you name them by number or something)

I've got plenty of space

just PM me if you need it, I'll hook you up

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#7 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (kirant @ Apr 27 2014, 08:33 PM)
Now to explain why there's a Sniper named Smashed Fish for a few months.  Must be an imposter.

Freaking skinwalkers. Like everyone else wasn't going for identity theft already...

EDIT - Before I forget, I've got ~1600 images so far and I haven't done much in the story so far...so...this could take a while to put into writing.  Or find an image host that won't ragequit on me for that many images.

Dear god what. Would recording it be an option?

Spoiler

#8 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

screenshotting is too convenient, apparently

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#9 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

It's Steam, so all I do is press F12.

Plus, as this is the first runthrough I am making of Long War and of Enemy Within (I never actually played Enemy Within without this mod), I am save scumming quite a bit when I don't know certain aspects of the game.

Oh, and I'm at 39 hours on this playthrough. That would be one boring Let's Play video.

RedBlue.png

#10 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

So just dropping in...what I've learned so far:
- Blazer likes taking shots straight in the face. He's spent more time gravely wounded than anything else
- Fish is a decent support guy
- I'm terrible at everything as a sniper.

EDIT -
****ing **** *** *** bleep.

I accidentally killed someone sad.gif

Turns out Mechtoids move fast. Very, very fast. That's not what killed the person, but the ensuing freak out by myself did.

RedBlue.png

#11 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:28 PM

You see, this is why I should beat the game before actually doing the LP.

I just realized this game would go on for easily 10k images before I actually got anywhere.

Time to restart. Actually, the above isn't a lie. I hit 10k images and haven't raided an alien base yet.

At least this time I'll get everybody in this time and not have false versions of people exist.

RedBlue.png

#12 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Location:My body lies in Georgia...but my mind lives in Arthias.
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

- Name--John Connor Nickname "Most Likely to get Killed"
- Class--- Sniper.
- General unit style--Cloaking. Lots of cloaking.
- General visual descriptors--

skin color, hair style, colour, etc , -- http://gyazo.com/583...d250c9d325a549f

armour, and armour colour - Navy Blue
"You'll never forgive me? Like I give a damn."
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
^ This isn't dead, I swear!
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

3DS Friend Code 0834 - 1057 - 3616

#13 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Let's start this at some capacity...

Anybody want to donate a million and a half in image hosting costs? tongue.gif

Edit - Wow. Randomly lucked into Rocketeer with the first male promotion I got. Well, Blazer exists now. Enemies run because rockets blow stuff up. And I feel trigger happy.

RedBlue.png

#14 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Test screen cap. Literal red shirt is shooting a basic enemy.

user posted image

RedBlue.png

#15 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

Settings and all that (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
So, I'm playing the Long War mod. This mod is really sadistic at times and is designed for fans who enjoyed the original X-COM but felt it wasn't hard enough.

I also played with additional settings to make it even harder.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
So yeah. Basically every soldier is different in stats, they get hurt and can't fight as well, I have to save the world before I win the game, my funding is really inconsistent, and some tactics stuff nobody will care about.

And, I've got a side mission I have to do:

user posted image

Luckily...

user posted image

I'm playing on normal mode. So hopefully I won't die a horrible death.

Oh, and I'm playing with the X-COM base in Asia. Because...I don't know. Just because.
user posted image

RedBlue.png

#16 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

Yay. New uploading site works.

Introduction: Welcome to Hell, Earthlings (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

user posted image
Well, we're off to a great start. There's certainly no way these words can come back to haunt me.

user posted image
user posted image
You see, aliens from Independence Day, THIS is how you launch war. You don't use space ships that even a Mac could hack into...Jeff Goldblum or no Jeff Goldblum.

On that note...

user posted image
You know, if I saw that almost kill the guy down the street, I'd just run. It just looks really sketch--

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

...Enjoy your probing session...idiot.

user posted image

So...because humans are too dumb to take care of themselves, they've asked the player to intervene. And they ask a guy who has shot a grand total of 37 bullets in his life and had zero fights to do it. Well, this will go well.

Just to tell you how screwed we are, we have a single transport plane. Because X-COM logic. And here it is.

user posted image

God forbid anybody shoot at it.

user posted image

RedBlue.png

#17 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:51 AM

Don't know if there's any image cut offs...Blazer?

Also, can somebody move this to Literature and Writing? That's probably the better spot for this.

Operation Hot Hymm Part 1: What the Hell, Naming Team? (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

user posted image
So...apparently we're off to India for Operation Hot Hymm. A nice added bonus of the Long War mod is that all my low ranking soldiers are in bright red armour so I know they're expendable. Which is good since these guys will certainly die. A lot.

Anyways, they land and all...and we're greeted with a great taste of India...

user posted image

..'s Shopf's Paper Inc. Did I mention the countries have no bearing on what map is used?

General note here: There are two kinds of notices to help you identify items on the map. An orange directional hint, like below, helps you find meld. Meld is a unique substance which lets me make genetically modified soldiers and mechanical soldiers. And conduct research. Yeah. It's kind of important to find. Oh, and it explodes if I shoot it. And after a set number of turns, the device holding it retracts and makes it impossible to acquire. I don't even know why they bother letting me even collect it...but whatever aliens. Do what you want.

user posted image

Speaking of aliens...just a little further up the parking lot.

user posted image

This is how I picture all aliens:

user posted image

So I told my soldiers to open fire.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Turns out...they were just coming back to put some money in the parking metre. I accidentally started an interstellar war.

...My bad.

Operation Hot Hymm Part 2: So You're Gotten Into a Firefight With Aliens... (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

So, the aliens were pissed that I shot their friend...as expected, they started shooting back.

user posted image

These basic aliens, named Sectoids, have the ability to power other Sectoids (and mechanically enhanced Sectoids). The purple...whatever the hell that is...shows that the Sectoid is helping a friend.

user posted image

Wait. Those things are armed?

user posted image

So, this is what the battlefield looks like from overhead.

user posted image

Either way, the aliens aren't too smart, so I started flanking them (hint: Yellow Shields means the soldier/alien is flanked). Did you know they bleed? I didn't. Sure hope that guy doesn't mind alien blood on his car. It looks pretty old...I'm sure he'll be fine.

user posted image
user posted image

I really hope Shopf has a good insurance policy period. Because I lobbed grenades at their cars. And their cars...kind of...exploded.

user posted image
user posted image

user posted image

...Wimp. A lot of guys will panic so this won't be a rare occurrence for me unfortunately. Especially when the Sectoids' preferred strategy for combat is mind raping their opponents into submission.

user posted image
And apparently you can die from mind rape too. I'm sure that's #1 on my list of ways to die. Right up there with being spun around so fast that I turn to butter.

Anyways, I took no chanced with these guys and had a soldier walk down the street to cut off any stragglers and ensure the "No survivors" tactic worked. So...this happened:

user posted image
user posted image

By the way, kill a Sectoid that's supporting an ally and the ally takes damage...or something. They get hurt either way.

And by the way, cleaning the streets worked great since it led to this:
user posted image
user posted image

Yay ragdoll physics.

The remaining aliens were inside Shopf's office so instead of getting the drop on them, I told my soldiers to break down the windows. Nothing is as awesome as doing that and NOT getting a face full of glass shards. Thank god for video game logic.

There was meld inside. I don't know why.

user posted image

Operation Hot Hymm Part 3/Debrief (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)

One of my soldiers heard aliens outside.

user posted image

I told them to jump out at once. Scare them or something. Turns out they were taking a leak or something. Nobody is caught that off-guard. Ah well. A deal alien is a good alien.

user posted image
user posted image

After that, it was time to go home.

user posted image

user posted image

This is Central Officer Bradford. He's the head...or something...inside X-COM's HQ. He's an even worse field commander than me. In a tutorial mission he lets four soldiers walk exposed into a room. There was one survivor. Needless to say, I don't let him do much these days.

user posted image

Yup, the game keeps track of kills and missions. Just so that when people die, you can find out how many aliens they killed before dying.

user posted image

Oh, hey. Did I mention our scientists want us to load the single plane we have with the alien corpses? That was a fun day. I just felt real bad for the maintenance team. Each and every mission. They're getting a pay raise later...

RedBlue.png

#18 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

user posted image

Screw you Long War...tease me like that and then make it a huge challenge just to escape and not get a total party kill.

RedBlue.png

#19 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:57 AM

That is me on the right at the moment:
user posted image

Meet the Idiots I Have to Work With (Click Here To Hide/Show Text)
Yay. The plane landed. Every mission concludes with a summary of what happened on the mission. So, here's that.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Anyways, a quick tour of the office. First is CO Bradshaw. He runs the military side of the base...or something. He's a terrible commander and (if you play the tutorial) gets three people killed in a small room. Yeah.

user posted image

Next is Dr. Shen. He's the man who apparently built the first AI. He's actually probably the nicest guy in the game...most of his dialogue is about concern over the ethical issues of war. He frequently comments how the aliens cross boundaries and how he wants humanity to not take the direction they have chosen. But he does what he does well...and that's make equipment so I can keep up in an arms race.

user posted image

Last is Dr. Vahlen. Easily the most terrifying of the three. She manages to get any live capture alien to talk. I don't know how since they never actually survive the interrogations. Anyways, she does does research. I'll just leave at that and avoid talking to her too much since I don't want to be the next "volunteer" for that research...

user posted image

...And this is the world. What a nice, happy place. Some notes:
- The satellite represents countries where I have satellite coverage. With satellite coverage I can spy on citizens and find out who's a thief. Also probably lets me spot aliens in the area and attack them with my planes. My horribly ineffective planes.
- The bars represent panic. If the panic in a country fills out, the country falls into chaos and can't fund the project.

user posted image

Will write something of any decent length later...maybe tongue.gif

RedBlue.png

#20 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

So far, so good! I'm really tempted to buy this game now, haha.

Inb4 Marina ends up being such a solid unit that she stays with the main team for a while.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users