Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Fairy Tail Pros/Cons

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

I made this list for Gold in the skype chat but I figured I'd post it here since I put so much effort into it XD

Pros:
- popular, meaning the episodes and manga are released quickly and there are lots of people to discuss it with
- well-drawn/animated
- generally exciting fights
- for the anime, great sound effects and AMAZING music IMO (also the music has its own unique style, I'll link you later)
- very easy to get into and get pumped up about
- fan service
- large variety of characters and unique magics and fight match-ups
- nothing super scary or obscure or like "WTF am I watching"
- action-packed, very little filler early on, and filler is well-integrated into later episodes (with still very little filler)
- decent story (it has dragons as one of the main things and the main character uses a certain type of fire magic and I love fire so it appeals to me but eh)
- funny

Cons:
- fan service
- very little death involved, meaning it's difficult to value the outcome of a battle as much
- anime has major censoring--no blood
- very predictable
- very cheesy at times
- it's... an anime, there are just certain things to expect with an anime, like anime-style drawings and anime-style jokes with the straight-man jumping in and stuff, which can be funny or stupid depending on your opinion
- a lot of the fans are idiots

That's about all I can think of for now, hopefully you can make a decision based off of that.

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

I like how fan service is listed as a pro and a con. tongue.gif

Like I said, I've been meaning to pick up a new anime, and this list does look pretty convincing. I'll have to think carefully, but it's sounding good.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#3 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

If you're looking for more... hardcore anime stuff, like romance or a very serious/dark/epic plot, FT isn't for you--it's a Shounen manga, it has a little of everything but it's mostly centered around fighting.

Anyhow, http://www.fairytail.tv is a good site to try it: they should have all working links and multiple mirrors as well relatively high quality with little to get in your way of your enjoyment on the website itself (just shut off the shoutbox and close anything else on the side or whatever, maybe use an adblocker if you don't like the ads). It's not in HD though, so you'd have to find another source if you wanted in HD. (My home internet isn't very good so I don't even bother :|)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#4 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Games and such. Anime and other stuff.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Just watch on crunchyroll (i believe they have it) it is legal there to boot.

Anyways
Pros
- good music
- good animation

Cons
- overuse of friendship power
- huge dependance on main character
- made Laxus quote Natsu
- no development for Natsu
- Lucy
- All the characters only get stronger through power ups
- Horribly positioned filler arc
- filler arc sucked complete monkey balls
- Not as good as Rave Master

Yup

Posted Image

Posted Image         Posted Image

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

meh, the main character is more Lucy than Natsu, if you pay attention :| Natsu just gets all the good fights

which is why there's little development for Natsu

- made Laxus quote Natsu

this is kind of dumb to add unless your entire post was a joke XP

- Lucy

rofl see above

not true, pay attention more, 2nd origin aside I can't even think of any moments where they simply power-up

- Horribly positioned filler arc

okay

I disagree, the story had more depth to it than the main story, if you ask me, and the characters had more development as well, and we got to see Oracion Seis again... oh I'm thinking of the Key of the Starry Heavens or w/e filler, the rest is usually pretty small/minor/not long enough to be an arc/not long enough to care about

lololol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#6 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Mar 9 2013, 01:25 PM)

meh, the main character is more Lucy than Natsu, if you pay attention :| Natsu just gets all the good fights

Lucy is the viewpoint character, she still is a main character just not the primary protag. Natsu is the main character.

Even if that was true that doesn't excuse the fact that Natsu is the same Natsu from the beginning of the show.

- made Laxus quote Natsu

this is kind of dumb to add unless your entire post was a joke XP

The main reason for me and others why Laxus is awesome is because he doesn't go all "Natsu Natsu" which practically most characters do. Sure he warmed up to Natsu but come on.

- Lucy

rofl see above

She is so useless. She can't even win half of her fights by herself. And she is also put into the damsel in distress position a lot, sort of.

not true, pay attention more, 2nd origin aside I can't even think of any moments where they simply power-up

Jellal's golden fire that he gave to Natsu. The fire-lightning dragon form from Laxus that Natsu even kept. The magic increase from Ultear in the training before that competition that I don't remember the name of, and that is a permanent power up. The etherion from the tower during the Jellal fight. The shadow-iron form for Gajeel though we don't know if it is permanent yet.

I disagree, the story had more depth to it than the main story, if you ask me, and the characters had more development as well, and we got to see Oracion Seis again... oh I'm thinking of the Key of the Starry Heavens or w/e filler, the rest is usually pretty small/minor/not long enough to be an arc/not long enough to care about

Racer died in the Manga, and one thing I give this anime is that it is close to the manga. So that fact sort of ruined this arc for me. Also I couldn't give a crap about Lucy being in that position. Maybe it is because I don't like the show much at all anymore when the arc came.

lololol

Mashima can actually write a good series. Why couldn't he do it again? Fairy Tail could have actually been good.

Also more complaints I have is that Sting in the last chapter I mean COME ON! That just just pushed me over the edge.

Also Fairy Tail never loses. Only against Acnologia they lost and in fighting some characters lost. ex. Gildarts vs Natsu. It would've been great development for Natsu if he said to fall back because he wasn't strong enough and come back later when he was up against the God Slayer. Also the fact that the dragon slayers can eat more than their element is just stupid. Which is why my respect for Gajeel plummeted.

Posted Image

#7 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Mar 9 2013, 12:25 PM)

I honestly don't even know what we're talking about, but this makes no sense.

Even if a character is a deuteragonist or a supporting protagonist (whichever one it is here...I'm not familiar enough to describe), they should still be highly developed. They're the second character looked on for bringing depth to the show, likely as a support to the protagonist. Though the show is flawed, Gundam SEED is a decent example. The character of Athrun is used to bring depth and complexity to the story as the counterpart to protagonist Kira. Fair enough that the show runs it as a deuteragonist role as to bring a second story into the equation as opposed to what sounds like a supporting protagonist role, but still, I think the point is made clear: you have to use your second most important character to bring depth. That requires development.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#8 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

overuse of friendship power

does it use ACTUAL friendship power(like teamwork) or is it just like that thing where they cheer you on from the sidelines

huge dependance on main character

gasp

the main character

being important??

GASP

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#9 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

If you don't know what we're talking about, don't bother responding >_______________________<

a few things

1) Natsu does develop, e.g. after the fight vs. Gildarts and in general as a fighter.
2) He's a fighter, he develops as a fighter, not as a character as a whole, it's a basic idea
3) the show is more about the development of Lucy
4) it isn't great but to completely ignore aspects of the manga and taking into account various factors makes you lose your credibility

I don't have much time but

Jellal's golden fire that he gave to Natsu. The fire-lightning dragon form from Laxus that Natsu even kept. The magic increase from Ultear in the training before that competition that I don't remember the name of, and that is a permanent power up. The etherion from the tower during the Jellal fight. The shadow-iron form for Gajeel though we don't know if it is permanent yet.

I already mentioned 2nd origin, that's only one instance, if you can't overlook one instance that's your issue

All

You only really mentioned Natsu and, most recently, one example of Gajeel. Gajeel was already strong, he simply adjusted to the battle. As for Natsu, that's his ability, nub. That's the whole point of dragon slayer magic: he's able to power up by eating anything of his own element. You failed to specify all or even most of the characters not is it that they "only" get stronger through power ups. Natsu had plenty of battles where he fought without major outside help.

I have to go, but your arguments are really weak, you should try looking into the fights and development of characters more, you'll notice more subtle things and it'll help you tolerate the general weakness of the Fairy Tail plot and 1-dimensionality of Fairy Tail as a whole (in that they don't really lose in the end and they all have the "bonds make me strong"/I-can-take-a-beating-and-come-back-from-it-and-kick-your-ass-when-you-get-1-shotted traits)

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#10 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Mar 9 2013, 04:37 PM)

If you don't know what we're talking about, don't bother responding >_______________________<

Well he is responding to the general fact that even if Natsu wasn't the main character he should still have character development.

a few things

1) Natsu does develop, e.g. after the fight vs. Gildarts and in general as a fighter.
2) He's a fighter, he develops as a fighter, not as a character as a whole, it's a basic idea

That's the problem with Natsu. He deosn't develop as a character. That's my problem with Natsu. Just because he gets stonger doesn't excuse the fact that he barely has any character development.

3) the show is more about the development of Lucy

Well it's more about Fairy Tail as a whole but again even if Natsu wasn't a primary protagonist, he still a protagonist and he barely gets any character development. That's the problem just saying the show has a focus on a different character doesn't excuse the fact that this major character gets little development.

4) it isn't great but to completely ignore aspects of the manga and taking into account various factors makes you lose your credibility

I don't even get what you are trying to say with that.

I already mentioned 2nd origin, that's only one instance, if you can't overlook one instance that's your issue

I don't know what 2nd origin means because I am bad with terminology but I am going to assume that it means the magic increase that Ultear gave. I gave 3 other instances in which power ups occurred.

You only really mentioned Natsu and, most recently, one example of Gajeel. Gajeel was already strong, he simply adjusted to the battle. As for Natsu, that's his ability, nub. That's the whole point of dragon slayer magic: he's able to power up by eating anything of his own element. You failed to specify all or even most of the characters not is it that they "only" get stronger through power ups. Natsu had plenty of battles where he fought without major outside help.

See where my problem is coming from. Natsu and Gajeel aren't eating their own element. Last time I checked lighting wasn't the same as fire and shadow wasn't the same as iron.

I have to go, but your arguments are really weak, you should try looking into the fights and development of characters more, you'll notice more subtle things and it'll help you tolerate thegeneral weakness of the Fairy Tail plot and 1-dimensionality of Fairy Tail as a whole(in that they don't really lose in the end and they all have the "bonds make me strong"/I-can-take-a-beating-and-come-back-from-it-and-kick-your-ass-when-you-get-1-shotted traits)

So you are admitting that the show isn't good. Okay I have to say this because I didn't say it and people will get confused the entire character development problem is that the other characters actually have good development, but Natsu, a major character barely gets any. Sure there is development for Natsu in the Gildarts fight but he never puts it to use. The development from that fight is just there in name. It was partially present during the Zancrow fight but only partially. Natsu just BSed the fight and won weakening the development that was given.

does it use ACTUAL friendship power(like teamwork) or is it just like that thing where they cheer you on from the sidelines

sideline/the name of friendship power. There is barely any actual teamwork in the fights except for a couple times like Grey and Lyon against Racer and Grey and Juvia against Lyon and Chelia. Or Grey, Lucy, Wendy, Erza, and Natsu against Hades but that just devolves into Natsu against Hades and everyone else is going "You can do it Natsu!".

gasp

the main character

being important??

GASP

There is too much dependence.

Posted Image

#11 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (ShadowCero @ Mar 9 2013, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Blazer @ Mar 9 2013, 04:37 PM)

Well he is responding to the general fact that even if Natsu wasn't the main character he should still have character development.

This in short.

It doesn't take recognition of a show's intricate details to know the base components that are needed in a show. For example, I know that a horror show needs to have you on the edge of your seat. If the argument is on which much it scares you, then it's pretty easy to say that a (well, pure. Something like Cabin in the Woods isn't a pure horror, so it by nature isn't needed to be scary) horror show isn't scary, then it failed to do its job. Similarly, if we have a show that a 10 second Google search yields is supposed to be a shonen demographic, if you pardon my gratuitous use of Japanese, then you need a pulling element. A sense of development, if you will. There needs to be protagonists which makes the world come alive. One primary (though I will point out that it's not needed. It' just that you basically need to be perfect in the other categories to be a good show) component, unless you're playing a sketch show like Excel Saga, is to be dynamic and interactive with your characters. They need to feel more than cardboard cutouts. If your character doesn't overcome emotional hardships or change those around them (either work, the former is often an optimistic show like most Super Robot shows pre-Evangelion era), they don't feel like something you can connect to. It is often not needed in a comedy show like Seinfeld, Simpsons, or for a north of the 39th example, Corner Gas...but for a show which drives itself on you needing to root for the heroes, you need to give a feeling of change. Major protagonist characters play a major role in this by either being the change themselves or by instigating change in others. Though the latter is often defined as developing into a leader, so that could be considered development on its own.

RedBlue.png

#12 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

No offense, but I'm not going to read arguments when people aren't even well-informed to begin with (kirant: you can't just judge a show or take what other people say for granted, which is pretty much what you're doing) and just ignore my legitimately thought-out and explained points (ShadowCero).

For eating elements that aren't theirs, the author should explain how Natsu is able to clad his flames in lightning instead of just forcing to come up with an excuse on our own ("he experienced the magic once and was able to replicate it on his own with enough magic power" or something). As for Gajeel eating the shadow, that doesn't make a lick of sense and really bothered me as well sleep.gif

anyhow I was just trying to get you to think about things a little deeper but it's quite alright, in general our opinions are more or less the same, we just think of them on a different level--I think the show is generally weak, bland, and that Natsu is a very 1-dimensional character, and you seem to think similarly, but I still acknowledge that Natsu gets development and that while it isn't always obvious or expanded upon enough, there's definitely hints of actual thought, effort, development, etc. being put in. (vs. Eligor, he learned how to manipulate fire to do more than just destroy; against Totomaru, he learned how to resist others controlling his flame; etc.).

Pretty much, I dislike various weaknesses of the show on a deeper level XD no hard feelings

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#13 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

I'm just gonna say go read Rave Master. It is the better story by the same author. There is also a ton of references in Fairy Tail from Rave master. ex. Plue, Oracion Seis, etc. Also strengthening fighting prowess is different from character development.

Posted Image

#14 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

>Assuming I've never read Rave Master

I'm done lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#15 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Mar 9 2013, 10:22 PM)
No offense, but I'm not going to read arguments when people aren't even well-informed to begin with (kirant: you can't just judge a show or take what other people say for granted, which is pretty much what you're doing) and just ignore my legitimately thought-out and explained points (ShadowCero).

1) I think we're circling the same discussion we had over my points on Chrom (since I think we never finished that up, I should point out that I never found any substantial evidence to change that...he's pretty much just a flat character to set the plate for MU and Lucina). I'm willing to change if evidence is shown contrary. My conclusions are nothing more than theory-based posturing on the points that the basis of a show must contain certain components and that lacking those components will result in a fundamentally flawed show. Returning to what I had said before, a horror show that doesn't scare isn't a good horror show, no matter how well it does the rest of it. Similarly, a shonen show isn't a fundamentally good show if it can't pull you in to root for the hero and see them past a flat character. Heck, even Evangelion is classified as shonen (I really hate using this term, but that's the definition as given to it by others), but has this going on. Slayers' recent revival, as much as I loved it happening, struggled in this since it rarely had moments where you really felt "Oh, Lina's gonna die!" or it pulled you in with interesting characterization moments.

I would also suggest that you can generally get a good idea of the key strengths and weaknesses of a show with a statistically significant reviewer base, as long as the reviewer base is being fair and objective. So, for example, I can't judge the gameplay quality of Diablo III off Metacritic since the reviews are low rating for DRM, something that isn't in the scope of their reviews. However, I can judge that the DRM is annoying on the basis OF the reviews, since the reviews continually state issue with it. From similar thought, a deeper delve into summaries and discussions really do indicate that certain parts of this show are lacking, while it has successes in other components.

Fair enough, that you can't beat making your own opinion by watching....but I've got a pretty tough stance on piracy (and have issues with the way Crunchyroll deals with this). Unless someone hands me tapes or a different legal stream of the entire series is online, I'm probably not willing to invest money into something which has got a spotty reputation, even by defenders on other forums. I'm not one to buy this sort of show on my own as I'm sure you're aware by now based on my classified favourite shows and I already got burned by Gurren Lagann...I'm not trusting "popularity" as an argument anymore.

I'd like to hear discussion the other way. Again, I'm in the stage where I am interested in this, since it's a good case study for mo to look at recent trends. It's a popular show, no doubt and I'd like to see if the trends that nip away at my love of anime are still going on. It's actually quite interesting to hear the different sides on these sorts of topics.

2) I'm not sure what you mean. From a logic and reasoning point of view, ShadowCero's response posts are pretty much valid. His comments do, for the most part, address the point of the post that proceeds it in quotes.

It's a pretty brutal first post with a few unusual descriptors, but it provided what the topic asked.

RedBlue.png

#16 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

Similarly, a shonen show isn't a fundamentally good show if it can't pull you in to root for the hero and see them past a flat character.

Technically the point of Shounen isn't "We have awesome heroes to root for that aren't flat" it's just aimed at young males.

but I've got a pretty tough stance on piracy (and have issues with the way Crunchyroll deals with this).

I thought Crunchyroll actually got the rights to stream whatever specific anime they have on there (though the only memory I have of this is from people that try to avoid feeling like a pirate) unless your issue doesn't have to do with how legal it is.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#17 kirant

kirant

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (Hatless @ Mar 10 2013, 04:03 PM)
Similarly, a shonen show isn't a fundamentally good show if it can't pull you in to root for the hero and see them past a flat character.

Technically the point of Shounen isn't "We have awesome heroes to root for that aren't flat" it's just aimed at young males.

Of course. I simplify quite a bit, since the definition and translation from Japanese to English is tough. Yes, the name actually indicates a target market first.

Though I would suggest that these series, by virtue of who they're targeting, have a trait of success and of standard practice. The tried and true, so to speak, is conflict and overcoming it by developing. That, or it focuses on comedy.

QUOTE (Hatless @ Mar 10 2013, 04:03 PM)
but I've got a pretty tough stance on piracy (and have issues with the way Crunchyroll deals with this).

I thought Crunchyroll actually got the rights to stream whatever specific anime they have on there (though the only memory I have of this is from people that try to avoid feeling like a pirate) unless your issue doesn't have to do with how legal it is.

The issue is pretty multifold. Agreed that today, it's mostly legal. Part of it is history though, where we know the company is willing to do whatever they want, including the illegal (and I'm not sure how many newcomers are knowledgeable of this, but Crunchyroll started off by uploading illegal streams before they were threatened). This leaves me a bit wary as to their modes and willingness to stay the legal course give how much we know about the upper management. I'm glad it's a step above flat piracy, but it's not exactly the gold standard.

The rest I can go into detail more if you want. I certainly misled you with the above comment, but rest assured that there are multiple reasons I'd side against using the site.

RedBlue.png

#18 Cero

Cero

U wot m8?

• Global Moderators
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:22 AM

Pro:
Lucy died! biggrin.gif

Con:
It was future Lucy. :|

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users