Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

> What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

• Please log in to reply
730 replies to this topic

#21 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 23 2012, 07:28 PM)
Kamina was such a badass person, his whole character was built around being a man, a true man, something every male strives for. Yoko was a lot of fan service, but she also had a reasonable part in the story, and it just wouldn't be the same if she had a different personality.

I think the problem when I work with that is that Kamina isn't exactly original, nor the best of the type (many comparisons head to Gai Daigoji for almost being the prototype for him and generally considered to be the better of the two). For Yoko, it's almost a personal hate of Studio Gainax's style...I don't mind the theory there...heck, Ryoko Subaru is one of my favourite characters and draws some parallels in personality (though Ryoko's is just amazing because of what characters are around her to play off it). I struggle with the fact thought that when Gainax decides a scene is too boring "let's throw in some T&A from Yoko" "Yeah!". Maybe it's because I've grown accustomed to the particular style of the late '80s to mid '90s where fanservice is off to the side, if done at all, but the way they utilize the character always bugged me.

QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 23 2012, 07:28 PM)
I know the series was meant as a sort of parody to what every other anime is, but something about it having everything good in it just made it epic. And the whole story of a boy fighting his way to save the universe, just using his willpower, is awesome.

It to me has always struck as an attempt at a Saturday morning cartoon show...handed over to the most insane company you'd ask to do it (Gainax is famous for gratuitous use of bouncing...ahem...and Evangelion, which I really respect them for). The story of Simon/Simone is one that I think has been done a lot...the coming of age or mental awakening here doesn't change a lot. I also have a bit of favouritism to the psychological side of shows too...a show like Stellvia of the Universe is more interesting to me while covering similar base material about fighting to save yourselves (and pointless uses of Latin, my favourite dead language), but covers deeper topics such as how humans unite and how to accept one's limitations (to which, Gurren Lagann asks "what limitations?").

I guess before I fall completely off the rails with my post, I should note I'm watching Irresponsible Captain Tylor...a show I'm convinced was made over a bet that they couldn't make a show where they'll never be agreement on the main character's sanity or intelligence. Good show, but I don't think you'll ever get anybody to agree as to whether Tylor is a genius or a man with several horseshoes up his arse.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#22 Seth

Seth

~The Silver Knight~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Video games, writing, reading, parkour~

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

I don't want to start an argument, for two reasons.
1. I probably don't watch as much anime as you, so you know better.
2. I like to argue, so this could go on for a while if I got started >.>

Anyways, I still really like Gurren Lagann, so biggrin.gif
And also, I'm on like episode 40 of FMA and it's really awesome. There are some parts that make me cringe, and some parts that are pretty boring. But I must say, the comic-relief episodes are amazing.
user posted image
Seth is the best. Mostly because he shares my name.

#23 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

Denial eSports Journalist

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

I really enjoyed Gurren Lagann. I really did. I wasn't a fan of during the mid point because the entire scene was changed and many of the characters were more cold and less friendly than they were at the start. However it got better in closing. It's one of my most favorite animes, truthfully. I place it right up there with Yu Yu Hakusho for my favorite animes. Both if them just helped me feel good. I really enjoyed them and I became a better person out of watching them.
Hakusho really helped me with my trust of others and the human race as a whole. It also gave me hope. Gurren Lagann simply reminded me to believe in myself. I got a lot out of the trust in oneself and Kamina really helped me in those regards. I really liked the characters in both animes.

Anyway Gurren Lagann yesterday and I started watching Shuffle which I finished earlier. Shuffle is... well... Basically it's a fun light hearted anime early on, then a problem arises midway through. That problem gets resolved, and it's okay for a brief period of time. Soon after this, the writers go: "LET'S COMPLETELY RUIN A CHARACTER AND MAKE HER GO CRAZY TO THE POINT WHERE IT RUINS THE SHOW." That's what they did with one main female characters. I was always expecting her to do something drastic and extremely insane rather than simply watching and enjoying what I watched in the previous early episodes. This went on for a few episodes until the ending where they helped clear it up decently well. I liked how it ended, of course the main character did get paired with my preferred girl from the anime. I'd just like to point out that when they ruined Kaede (the character I mentioned before), the show felt very terrible and I had to trudge through, not very willing to watch because the period where this went on was just horrid.

What was I watching now? Well I haven't looked into anything new yet but when I do, I'll probably pop in and say what it was.
Knight of the Realm -- Sain can't get laid. Therefore Kent > Sain.
Knight of the Realm -- My logic is flawless.

QUOTE (bblues @ May 30 2012, 07:13 AM)
My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

One of the top three Ryans.

user posted image

This won't be removed until the Browns win the Super Bowl. - Started 9/7/09

#24 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts
  • Interests:Pimpin'

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

If you're into mechs, you should watch Gundam. Except Wing. Wing is kind of for girls.

Break Blade is also a pretty underrated manga IMO. Haven't seen the anime (actually don't know if there is one, but I bet there is.)

@Oblivion watch Geass.
user posted image
Gallery

I will not remove this until the Vikings win the Super Bowl - Started 1/28/11

"i had to google bukkake."
-Boney

#25 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video Games, Strategy Games, Smite, Hearthstone, Poetry, Writing

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

So here's a list of anime that I'm looking at watching but I'd be looking for critism regaring them.

Princess Mononoke: I've heard good things about this anime/movie but it's 2 hours and 10 minutes long. I'm not sure if I could be able to follow something that long without getting lost somewhere along the way.

High School of the Dead: Heard about it.

Code Geass: Heard about it and have got a lot of suggestions from people to watch it.

Cowboy Beboop: Heard about it.

Clannad: Heard about it from Rey and Kiara. Should be pretty good.

K-On: Heard about it.

Elfen Lied: Heard that it's good but pretty dark and probably wouldn't suit me. It's currently on the backburner for now.

My, this so...if you're wondering why I haven't posted, it's because my palms are so glued to my face I can't pull them off.

user posted image

#26 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (Oblivion Knight @ Feb 1 2012, 04:18 PM)
Princess Mononoke: I've heard good things about this anime/movie but it's 2 hours and 10 minutes long. I'm not sure if I could be able to follow something that long without getting lost somewhere along the way.

Just watch it. It's amazing. Even if you get lost, watch it again...it's an excellent show.

High School of the Dead: Heard about it.

Effectively fanservice from my understanding.

Code Geass: Heard about it and have got a lot of suggestions from people to watch it.

Haven't seen it, but I've heard it described as a colourful train wreck. It's a mess in story, but flashy explosions

Cowboy Bebop: Heard about it.

Brilliant show.

Clannad: Heard about it from Rey and Kiara. Should be pretty good.

No clue.

K-On: Heard about it.

I have a personal dislike of the moe archetype. I basically just couldn't stand the show.

Elfen Lied: Heard that it's good but pretty dark and probably wouldn't suit me. It's currently on the backburner for now.

It's very unusual. I love the first 10 minutes because of the hilarious 4000/3800 blood pressure. It's basically a lot of fanservice though which detract from the show wrapped up in an alright storyline.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#27 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

• Validating
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:37 AM

Decided to start watching Angel Beats, friend suggested it to me and I'm really enjoying it. Almost done though which saddens me.

user posted image

#28 Echo-279

Echo-279

The Gray Ghost.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'm also watching Devil May Cry! WHOO!
Darkness will reclaim what the Light had created.

I will not remove this until i beat Bloody Palace mode in DMC 3.

" Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to? think they're invincible...I bet you do too, Buddy."

QUOTE (Rujio @ Jun 16 2013, 05:22 PM)
Welcome to FEShrine, where our core members are lurkers and bots.

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Feb 20 2013, 05:01 AM)
I hate you, Ryoku. Jk. Happy birthday, Ryoku! Hope you have a long and fulfilling year ahead of you.

Quote it

user posted image

#29 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

I might watch Gurren Lagann or whatever it is, anyone watch it? Is it any good/what it is like/why should I watch it? I'd rather hear opinions from people who actually matter than just reading random ones online

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#30 Dalsin

Dalsin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Yeah it's good I'll just give you that. Read the top post that mentions the Gurren Lagann.

#31 SmashedFish

SmashedFish

Tom is not for opening

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:fictional characters

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Feb 18 2012, 09:09 PM)
I might watch Gurren Lagann or whatever it is, anyone watch it? Is it any good/what it is like/why should I watch it? I'd rather hear opinions from people who actually matter than just reading random ones online

Do it. Now. It is a beautiful underdog story that's surprisingly deep for its reputation. If the ending doesn't kill you emotionally then nothing ever will.

Lately, I'm into This Ugly Yet Beautiful World (watching first episode now, so no word on how it is), Gun X Sword (<3333333333333333333333333333333), and even Evangelion when I'm not motivated to watch the other two.

Images - 11/22 Writing - 5/17 FE: Immortal Shrine
forum_signature__aeiou_by_sakowfniapqf-d

Spoiler

Need help with hacking? Post in the subforum, or Skype me (smashedfish76).

#32 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

JUST finished Samurai Champloo, as Seraphinox suggested to me. Pretty good, people should try it out.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#33 Sothe

Sothe

Whisper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Samurai Champloo kicks more ass than my boot. You see this boot? It is a boot which has kicked many asses. It's damn sure kicked your ass. Right in the ass. And Samurai Champloo has kicked ITS ass. So that is just. All the evidence. That you should watch Samurai Champloo. What's that? You haven't watched it yet? You suck. Do it.

(Also, currently watching Darker than Black).
user posted image

Signature by Shu.

---

Soren Sonata, Kelly.

#34 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

• Validating
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Blazer @ Feb 18 2012, 10:09 PM)

I honestly can't explain why to watch it, but it's extremely great, and one of my favorite animes by far. Watch it already. XD

Decided to give Clannad a go since I've heard great things from it. After the first episode through, I like it.

user posted image

#35 Shu

Shu

Sealord

• GFX Artist
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

GOING BACK TO Samurai Champloo.

It's even better now that it introduced me to the rapper Nujabes. (he did the intro to SC. VERY good.)

+45...anime points.
user posted image
Gallery

-Boney

#36 arimibn

arimibn

The Darkslayer

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • Location:My body lies in Georgia...but my mind lives in Arthias.
  • Interests:I like Fire Emblem...Er...Legend Of Zelda...RPG's are a fav...er...Hmm...Just ask me if I like stuff!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'm not really watching much anime right now...But the little bit that I do watch is usually Shakugan No Shana.
"You'll never forgive me? Like I give a damn."
"You got a jacked up notion of fair play pal...and it's beginning to piss me off."
"Though a fight every now and again does make life a little more interesting...dontcha think?"
Posted Image
^ This isn't dead, I swear!
Most of my closest friends have qualities that I despise. But I love them all regardless of their faults.
"Why are we trying to narrow God's mercy? I didn't realize there was a limit to how many people could go to heaven."

This will not be removed until I finish my Sprite Series. Arim and AJ VS The World Started December 19, 2013 (I actually still haven't given up on this! XD)

This will not be removed until The Demon Invasion is finished. Started December 19, 2013 (Hue)

3DS Friend Code 0834 - 1057 - 3616

#37 Elwood

Elwood

Crusader of Light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Naruto Shippuden. I'm at episode 51.

Fe-Shrine-sig.png
I will not remove this until I complete the Ritual of the Mahjarrat quest in Runescape - started 4/18/15 - completed 12/20/15

QUOTE (SmashedFish @ Jan 21 2013, 12:21 PM)  Bobryk's expertise with boobs is not to be doubted

#38 Oblivion Knight

Oblivion Knight

• Validating
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

Was watching Katanagatari on and off. It's been enjoyable so far but 45 minute episodes test my patience when I'm not in an anime type mood.

user posted image

#39 Cheshire

Cheshire

Stranger with Candy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Everything Zen

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just finished DBZ last night. Now I'm gonna watch the movies. Tonight is Return of Cooler!
"Boney gets a boney thinking about Chesh's purring cat."

user posted image

#40 Snow

Snow

The Combat Medic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Tons of stuff, figure them out yourself.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

I'm watching the new Hunter x Hunter, Code Geass and FMA brotherhood and I'm waiting for Sword Art Online to start.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This won't be removed until Chile wins the World Cup - Started 24/06/12
BTW, I take map requests if anyone wants to make one XD, just send me a PM and I'll most likely accept. If you wanna see some of previous work you can visit my gallery here, I'd skip to the end because I've improved alot XD.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users