Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

What's the last movie you saw?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

As I'm in Korea, I watched a Korean film strangely titled (IN ENGLISH) "Catch Me". It was in theaters when we were going to watch The Hobbit, but the Hobbit wasn't there anymore, so we watched that instead.

I understood a good deal of it, (watched it in Korean without subs) thanks to it being rather simple. Although, I don't think gravity was a rule in that film. Oh, romantic comedy, btw.

South Korea treats English as a Very Important Thing™ for international communication reasons, which are considered important for any job that involves possibly communicating to foreigners, along with jobs that use material from English because they don't feel like translating it into Korean, at least, not fully. And a lot of people there just consider Koreans that can speak English well to be very smart if they weren't born on foreign land, which is a plus for any job that expects you to be intelligent about it. It's even at the point where some universities in Korea will have Koreans teach Koreans something almost totally irrelevant to foreign language(or things that don't actually use English words, but instead things from like Latin...usually relevant to the names of certain things, like flowers) in English instead of Korean. (Note:This only applies to Seoul and maybe Busan along with other big cities. It most likely doesn't mean much in the countryside or smaller cities.)

Buuuuuuuuuut the real reason why they named it in English is probably cause it looks exotic and cool to them(or at least more eye catching.) Same reason Japan keeps doing it.

Also, Korean movies to me always feel like they're the byproduct of trying to write something bigger, which often makes them simplified and less remarkable, to the point of which it makes me kind of think "The writers of this just went, "I can't be assed to bother writing a decent story in this amount of screentime" didn't they?"

Korean dramas on the other hand are like 20ish episodes for a mini-series and each episode is over an hour long holy shit. This contributes to my thought of "They wouldn't bother to put in much effort when it has to be all within such a short timeframe" as those things are like super popular in South Korea(it's not just among the middle aged women, they just have the most time for watching it), and because I personally have a "this can't be good enough if it's going to be short" mentality too. Even if you're going to pile cliche over cliche, writing(along with everything else, sound effects and other special effects, choreography, whatever) enough for that is a massive pain in the ass.

More on topic:
I watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Story of Rebellion last week or so. More twisted than the original series, though I get this feeling that says the writer was getting lazier with it than the TV show, as far as things like foreshadowing and character consistency/reasons for the change are concerned. Oh, and it's not worth watching if you haven't seen the anime(or the two movies that are just a compression of the anime), a lot of it is a fanservice show(when I say that, I mean it's designed with the fan's mentality in mind, it feeds them what ideas/preferences got popular with them...and feels somewhat like a fanfic when compared to how the tv series did things.)

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#42 Fujisaki

Fujisaki

Tipping the scales

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:video games
    tumblr
    art

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

The last movie I saw was The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug....

Great movie.....WTF ending/cliffhanger
“My lady, I may never take my eyes off you again! ...Unless I'm about to run into a wall.”
"Have we chanced upon the forbidden sanctuary of the bikini tribe?!"

#43 bblues

bblues

The Greatest

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Les Miserables

It was well done, and brought back memories of when I went to see the actual show.

#44 Golden Warrior

Golden Warrior

Good as Gold!

• Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Video games, reading, writing, and other such creative things.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

@Ed: lolthatwalloftext I knew pretty much everything you wrote in that post. Also, by simple, I meant that I got the words, the plot was actually pretty complex without some explanitory help of the internet. It was also pretty much just a Korean version of Bounty Hunter... buuuuuut.

As for dramas, I'm watching one called Gaksital now (translates to "Bridal Mask) and holy crap it's well made. Every episode is about an hour and it all seems so well done, the plots aren't bad either.

In other news, we found a theater still showing The Hobbit and watched that, pretty good, the things added that weren't in the book didn't bother me as much as make me laugh kinda a lot. (That love triangle, though.)

Got Pokemon X/Y or OR/AS? Battle me! Or trade with me... Trading is cool too.
3DS FC: 5300-9087-1138 (PM me if you add me so I know to add you back.)

Have Smash Bros for Wii U? Battle me there too! 

Nintendo Network ID: GoldenWarriorX (No need to notify me in this case, it will.)

#45 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Scissorluv @ Dec 29 2013, 12:50 PM)
The last movie I saw was The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug....

Great movie.....WTF ending/cliffhanger

Had the exact opposite opinion: the movie dragged on and on while the ending scenes were the best.

Writing in Orlando Bloom felt like a lot of a "Star War prequel" feel to the show...the story has enough going on. You can finally put every part written in the novel as an aspect of the show unlike Lord of the Rings. Why both cramming more in? Benedict Cumberbatch was by far and away the best part of the show. And if they ended on the lines of "I am death", it would have been perfect.

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#46 Bobryk

Bobryk

;/

• Veterans
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Brunettes<br>Being awesome<br>Meat products

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

I saw three movies fairly recently, so I'll put them all down.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug- It's been like 10 years since I've read the book, but from what I remember, it did a pretty good job of holding true to what was written. I'm on the fence about Orlando Bloom-- sure it was a shameless plug, but Legolas was from Mirkwood, so it is completely possible that he would have been there at the time of The Hobbit.

Anchorman 2- Only one word can describe it: Absurd. In the best possible way. Funniest movie I've seen in a long time, and I think it was better than the first. If you enjoy ridiculous comedies without much sense of plot or stories, go to this just for the laughs. Totally worth it.

American Hustle- Not going to lie, I saw this because my girlfriend (Jennifer Lawrence) is in it. Aside from the women not wearing bras during the movie, it really wasn't all that great. It's getting tons of praise but I didn't like the story or the plot all that much. So if you enjoy boobs hanging out all the time (I assume most of us on this forum do) it's at least worth watching for that.
user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users