Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

I met an FE fan who...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

Admitted, in real life, that he didn't buy the latest Fire Emblem game (though not a bad thing IMO, Fates is hardly a game you should feel bad for missing out on) because they took out the face-petting feature

He basically said stuff about how (paraphrasing my impression, not stating word-for-word) it was one of the core new features and they just gutted it and it really annoyed him or whatever, though he also mentioned once that the localization changes were a thing too (but it didn't seem to bother him even half as much as the face-petting feature removal did), and that it's not really the point of the game, so between that and the way he sort of hesitatingly admitted it, he seems to at least somewhat realize that he comes off as silly

I just found it interesting to associate the online dudes that piss me off with their stuff with an actual face... I mean, he wasn't a terrible guy or anything from the offset, and if I never knew he liked face-petting we could probably even be friends (not that I had any reason to be, just saying), but it's just like, right, these are real people on the internet and the faces behind those people who get pissed off and rampage when something gets censored are faces such as these.

He was kinda nerdy-looking and awkward so in that sense it was about what I was expecting, but eh.

So... just felt like sharing that as it was a slightly interesting encounter. Any thoughts/commentary? Anyone been through similar experiences? If so, share!

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 ^Leo^

^Leo^

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

Actually one of my best friends would have loved for the face petting to be in the NA release. I'm purposefully not telling her that it was a thing at all tbh. She's borderline obsessed with xander, so being able to pet him would have been the icing on the cake. But yeah, not letting her find out about that because I don't need to know what her reaction would be =P

#3 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

If you ask me, the fact that the face petting was removed in favor of almost entirely non-interactive treehouse invitations is far worse than if it had been kept in.

I'm totally not just salty over not getting to pet Kanna all day or anything

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#4 kirant

kirant

I won't go until it's over

• Staff
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Admitted, in real life, that he didn't buy the latest Fire Emblem game (though not a bad thing IMO, Fates is hardly a game you should feel bad for missing out on) because they took out the face-petting feature

This is a reasonably common sentiment I find.  People have been looking at the NA version and got all salty over a bunch of choices.  Another one seems to be massive reworking of some supports (going by online discussions, it seems like a conversation between Saizo/Beruka was basically gutted, a massive amount of Soleil's conversations were altered, altering Kanna's support tree...and those were just the consensus hatreds).  This is probably why Treehouse got a massive mount of flak after the release.

(Bear in mind, I have not nor have plans to play Fates)

There are entire groups out there upset that this whole thing is a form of "censorship".  That the companies know better than we do.  And, while it seems kind of silly to me to remove something as asinine as petting in Waifu Wars (oh god, I love that Honest Game Trailer), I don't think the term is correct. 

I certainly disagree with the conclusion that it's a key part of the game.  It's key in the same way petting your Pokemon is key.  It's a fun distraction and side game, but ultimately not key compared to other aspects such as the heavily advertised two-story game.

A fascinating side thought is the notion of Japanese honorifics.  You look at the heat Atlas gets for keeping them in the Persona games and how people snark heavily that having them thrown into English conversations makes them sounds awkward as all hell (also, just how they say it can also become a bit of an issue...I would suspect the VAs were given no guide on pronouncing anything...listen to Amanda Winn Lee say Amaterasu and tell me I'm wrong).  But then you hop over to Danganronpa games and they get equal amounts of flak for taking them out and claiming that they were replaced with something which makes sense contextually.

But long story short...too many fans to please them all.  Half will get angry if you alter something, the other half will get angry if you try to keep it in place.

I just found it interesting to associate the online dudes that piss me off with their stuff with an actual face... I mean, he wasn't a terrible guy or anything from the offset, and if I never knew he liked face-petting we could probably even be friends (not that I had any reason to be, just saying), but it's just like, right, these are real people on the internet and the faces behind those people who get pissed off and rampage when something gets censored are faces such as these.

It's actually quite an interesting dissociation.  I mean, we know that every person speaking on the internet technically should be a person (unless their a persona invoked to shill something, but that's another tale).  But we don't see them much more than a 2-D character.  A stereotype that exists such that our brain doesn't need to fully characterize them or grasp their feelings. 

The line between what we view as acceptable and what we view as ridiculous is much blurrier than we'd like to imagine.  A terrific example in the USA is your guy's election.  Take a look at 3 people (well, maybe 5 if you're in a large city).  Heck, take a look at 5 friends.  One of them probably voted for Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.  Or would have if they were interested in voting.  Yet you probably tie the side you don't agree with to some extremely ugly thoughts.  If you favoured Clinton, you probably see Trump supporters as rednecks or racists.  If you favour Trump, you probably see Clinton supporters as tax and spend nutbars who are out of touch with the "reality" of America.  But these people are your friends...you probably know them quite well.  Seeing the discrepancy between what you imagine and what you see is a terrific experience IMO. 

RedBlue.png
Shameless Self-Plug - Updated May 30 - A Letter to a Younger Me – Anime Edition

#5 Mercurius

Mercurius

Ars est celare artem

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Digital art, idealistic stories, MMOs, SRPGs, hunting games, FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS-ness, and staying out of the social order.

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

I think less of someone on the internet when I do have a real face to identify them by. Says a lot about me.

There was one time where I met someone who claimed to be a twitch streamer, though. I don't have any particular opinions about twitch streamers, but I found it rather interesting how in spite of how he likely talks to an audience all the time, he was absolutely terrible at making eye contact with me and formulating decent responses. I was even trying to talk to him about videogames.

I believe in judgment of humans through their judgment of fiction, for nothing else tells better of their disposition freed from apprehension.

#6 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

I think less of someone on the internet when I do have a real face to identify them by. Says a lot about me.

There was one time where I met someone who claimed to be a twitch streamer, though. I don't have any particular opinions about twitch streamers, but I found it rather interesting how in spite of how he likely talks to an audience all the time, he was absolutely terrible at making eye contact with me and formulating decent responses. I was even trying to talk to him about videogames.

The funny thing about introverts (and people with aspurger's and the like, such as myself) is that in person, they are incredibly shy, and it takes a while for them to warm up to you. On the internet, however, they can be EXTREMELY outgoing, so much so that you'd never realize how awkward they'd be if they met you IRL.

IUfb9Eg.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users