Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:30 AM) Whoa I can edit a typo. The technology.
@  Oblivion Knight : (26 February 2024 - 11:29 AM) Obligatory message.
@  Elwood : (02 January 2024 - 04:19 AM) Happy New Year!!!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:19 PM) I'm still out here alive. If you remember me, I hope you're doing well!
@  Aaron : (13 February 2023 - 09:09 PM) 2023 and this place is still up huhh
@  Elwood : (05 January 2023 - 07:58 AM) Ah a Christmas greeting from Wolfie! Even if I saw it way late Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody!
@  Cero : (31 December 2022 - 09:27 PM) Man that bot went crazy
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 December 2022 - 10:02 AM) I return once more on the eve of Christmas to haunt you all again!... Mainly Elwood. Hello!
@  Elwood : (25 November 2022 - 04:58 AM) A bot! Ah the nostalgia!
@  Elwood : (02 November 2022 - 02:30 PM) Yo ho ho ho! Thar be the white wolf!
@  Whitewolf8 : (24 October 2022 - 12:29 AM) Well, blimey it's been a while. Hoy there! If anyone's still alive here anyway.
@  Valke : (21 April 2022 - 12:12 PM) im taking the 2nd shout of 2022 😂
@  Elwood : (03 March 2022 - 10:12 PM) Mwuhahaha! The first shout of 2022 is mine!
@  Fire Blazer : (12 November 2021 - 05:22 PM) *also stretches arms a little*
@  xcrash1998 : (07 November 2021 - 08:42 PM) "streches arms"
@  Ezra : (07 May 2021 - 05:20 AM) Maybe I'll pop on the discord soon
@  Fire Blazer : (01 April 2021 - 08:08 PM) Aaaaaaand done~ :P
@  xcrash1998 : (29 March 2021 - 08:52 AM) I guess we are one more post away from counting to 2500
@  Fire Blazer : (10 March 2021 - 11:39 PM) but I have bad memory and can't remember ;(
@  Elwood : (15 February 2021 - 10:23 AM) I'd like to but I've told you about my issues with discord before.

Photo

Fire Emblem 6 Mini-Rant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list. =P

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:49 AM

ok
rant time
so I am playing Fire Emblem 6... and I'm on chapter 10B
and man, this chapter is just so good
ok let's look at it. First, the enemy variety is good and spread apart
it starts off relatively simple, letting you ease into the chapter
with an interesting plot premise
and a subplot of Miledy and Gale (sp) trying to find Guinvere
you've got lots of narrow and open paths alike to use as needed, and even a bit of terrain
there are split paths and enemies down each, with breakable walls letting you forge your own paths to places
there are shops if you need them
and plenty of villages
then the chapter gets progressively more interesting: you've got bandits popping up from the mountains, one of which is recruitable, and one of which is a sub-boss
you've also got a subplot with Ward, a minor character, where he's actually from here, and you can visit the village with him to get a Swordreaver instead of a door key
you also get special dialog with Ward's sister, Mary
furthermore, the village next to it has special dialog with the "guy's friend's sister" that Mary mentions to Elphin
(and the Elphin deal is why Roy and co are there to start with, so it kind of ties things together instead of just being a bunch of completely isolated events/subplots)
you can also get special dialog with Lot, presumably, though I don't have him out this battle
furthermore, you have another subplot with Gonzales. it's mentioned that stones were thrown at him and he's called a monster, but Lilina finds the good in him
this is a parallel to Sheeda and a dude from FE1 or FE3 I can't remember the name of
(with Sheeda/Lilina being the main romantic interest of Marth/Roy respectively, lining things up on that front)
and then, on the other side of the map, there's a village that explains what happened with Gonzales and why they treated him with contempt, thinking he was a bad bandit
they could have easily just left things as-is, but they used the villages to enhance the story instead
then things get even more complicated, with all these characters you know only by name so far--Klein gets orders from Arcardo that the Lycian army is working with bandits, the boss of this chapter is concerned about credit and HE'S the one ACTUALLY working with bandits... all in a scheme to get rid of the Lycian army, while General Cecilia (Roy's ally) is at odds with this darker side of Etruria

but they're human too so of course it's not like they're actually okay with fighting their sibling
and it really makes them feel all the more human
how they show, not through cheesy monologues or anything, but through simple dialog the struggles of soldiers
another conversation mentions how Klein isn't one to just use the Ilian mercenaries as disposable, and how Tate trusts him to not just do that
it speaks of Klein's character but also is an IMO realistic fear for mercenaries, that they're disposable, which they probably often are
then you also have not only the pegasus knights from Ilia, Klein and his archers, the normal enemies that were there, and the bandits, but cavaliers from the southwest charging in
so you're trying to balance your army and make sure you get to all the villages, while also recruiting all the units and doing everything else
while ideally minimizing potential NPC casualties, getting to the villages with the right characters, and not losing anyone
(because there's no casual mode)
it's just such a fantastic chapter
there's nothing like it in Fates or Awakening IIRC
not every chapter in FE6 is like this granted but it's still generally way more interesting than what we get now adays. and the thing is that back in the day I just took all this for granted, kinda
I didn't analyze it like I did now, it was just kind of like, man this is fun. now that it's gone though, I realize just how precious these small details were
and how they really added up
the only problem with this chapter that I see is one with the translation, which is that Etrurian enemies have the name "Bandit"

-----

so while I admittedly did praise this chapter a lot in Discord (where I cp'd the above from), it's not like it was legendary or perfect, no. But in terms of holding my interest, and keeping things active throughout, and giving me a lot to do... it totally succeeded. And compared to the level design and story execution lately, it was very enjoyable. So much so that while playing it I felt kind of compelled to talk about it, lol.

It's still FE6, I don't think I need to say anything about FE6's RNG... lol

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#2 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

FE6's writing was absolutely AMAZING, at least until after you deal with the Eturian dark side.

After that though, the story branches off again and it kind of feels like development was heavily rushed. Absolutely nothing truly significant happens except some foreshadowing about Idoun. At least until you go to take down the Big Bad. Things step up again after that point but the part where you either go to Sacae or the icy place just felt horrifically bland.

Spoiler

not every chapter in FE6 is like this granted but it's still generally way more interesting than what we get now adays. and the thing is that back in the day I just took all this for granted, kinda

I think we all took FE6-8's stuff for granted. I mean, I make fun of FE7 all the time, but at LEAST the characters were likeable. And the story really only starts to fall apart in retrospect. (And it could possibly be a bad translation job? I'd like to know the Japanese script lol)  It's nothing like Fates where you're T_T'ing through most of the story because of how mediocre everything is.

IUfb9Eg.png

#3 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

yeah the ending is relatively mediocre probz heavily rushed like you said which is why it feels kind of insignificant or inconsistent at times

and yeah ditto at taking FE6-8 for granted, FE9 too while we're at it lol, and "mediocre" for Fates is putting it nicely ahahaha

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

#4 Blue Leafeon

Blue Leafeon

Mega Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:33 AM

yeah the ending is relatively mediocre probz heavily rushed like you said which is why it feels kind of insignificant or inconsistent at times

and yeah ditto at taking FE6-8 for granted, FE9 too while we're at it lol, and "mediocre" for Fates is putting it nicely ahahaha

I did like how the game actually made me care for the big bad. The problem was how rushed everything was up until the ending.

Yeah true, I tend to forget about FE9 since it's on gamecube. Which...I guess, proves your statement. lol.

"Mediocre" applies only to Conquest and Birthright. They're mediocre at best, while Revelation is just awful at best. :D

IUfb9Eg.png

#5 Fire Blazer

Fire Blazer

You ready?

• Creator
  • 12,103 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:43 PM

I did like how the game actually made me care for the big bad. The problem was how rushed everything was up until the ending.

Yeah true, I tend to forget about FE9 since it's on gamecube. Which...I guess, proves your statement. lol.

"Mediocre" applies only to Conquest and Birthright. They're mediocre at best, while Revelation is just awful at best. :D

glad to see we more or less agree on basically everything XP

Bblazer2.png

Signature thanks to Shu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users